NRA Leader LaPierre Says Being Extorted,

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: NRA Leader LaPierre Says Being Extorted,

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Unfortunately, the article is behind a paywall.

However....

https://www.apnews.com/d5d90ab1596f478c8f20d4dbe3f73979
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Retired Lt. Col. Oliver North has announced that he will not serve a second term as the president of the National Rifle Association amid inner turmoil in the gun-rights group.

In a statement read to members of the group Saturday, North said he believes a committee should be set up to review the NRA’s finances. He said there is a “clear crisis” and “it needs to be dealt with” if the NRA is to survive.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mojo84
Posts in topic: 8

Post by mojo84 »

Very disappointing.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Scott B. »

Sunlight is a great disinfectant. I think NRA needs an in-depth audit / examination of all the vendor relations, comp packages, employment relationships (working for NRA, the PR company, or one of its many subsidies), etc. It should be done by people who are either above reproach, neutral, or who don't have ties to any vendor or the organization.

NRA must be in the best fighting shape possible because we're going to need it - desperately.

You can say "oh, X publication is biased against us" or the "opposition is out to get us" but let's face facts, there's a lot of smoke pouring out of the seams. And it's not like 'they're out to get us' is new.

We need NRA to be better.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Ruark
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Ruark »

I definitely think Wayne has outlived his usefulness. In the public eye, he is little more than a cartoon character. The NRA desperately needs new blood. Oliver North was a good possibility and now he's sadly out of the picture. I don't know who could take his place.
-Ruark

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Lynyrd »

Ruark wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:17 pm I definitely think Wayne has outlived his usefulness. In the public eye, he is little more than a cartoon character. The NRA desperately needs new blood. Oliver North was a good possibility and now he's sadly out of the picture. I don't know who could take his place.
How about Trey Gowdy?
Do what you say you're gonna do.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

I wouldn’t mind seeing the NRA fallout and members of NRA join up with Firearms Policy Coalition or Gun Owners of America. Heck I think the reason most of us still support the NRA is because it is the biggest and most powerful. I don’t think that their views actually align with most gun owners today.

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 4

Post by G.A. Heath »

jb2012 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:31 am I wouldn’t mind seeing the NRA fallout and members of NRA join up with Firearms Policy Coalition or Gun Owners of America. Heck I think the reason most of us still support the NRA is because it is the biggest and most powerful. I don’t think that their views actually align with most gun owners today.
I support the NRA, and their Texas affiliate the TSRA, because they are the most effective organizations we have. Show me one piece of legislation that any other progun group has passed at the federal level, or a single piece of legislation in Texas. If we reject a group because they don't agree 100% with us then we will have no groups at all.

For the record I know for a fact that members of the NRA board of directors don't always agree with the NRA, if they did they wouldn't need a board to vote!
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

G.A. Heath wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:53 am For the record I know for a fact that members of the NRA board of directors don't always agree with the NRA, if they did they wouldn't need a board to vote!
This, EXACTLY.

Saw this linked on Drudge this afternoon: https://www.wsj.com/articles/oliver-nor ... 1556376506
New York Attorney General Probes NRA as Oliver North Exits as President
The probe is looking into financial and disclosure problems at the gun-rights group
The New York attorney general’s office is investigating potential financial and disclosure problems at the National Rifle Association, amid boardroom turmoil at the group that led Saturday to the departure of NRA President Oliver North after a bruising internal political battle.

The probe is looking into alleged financial misconduct of the kind that Mr. North has raised in the internal battles. A spokeswoman for Attorney General Letitia James confirmed the probe and said subpoenas have been issued, but had no further comment.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

G.A. Heath wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:53 am
jb2012 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:31 am I wouldn’t mind seeing the NRA fallout and members of NRA join up with Firearms Policy Coalition or Gun Owners of America. Heck I think the reason most of us still support the NRA is because it is the biggest and most powerful. I don’t think that their views actually align with most gun owners today.
I support the NRA, and their Texas affiliate the TSRA, because they are the most effective organizations we have. Show me one piece of legislation that any other progun group has passed at the federal level, or a single piece of legislation in Texas. If we reject a group because they don't agree 100% with us then we will have no groups at all.

For the record I know for a fact that members of the NRA board of directors don't always agree with the NRA, if they did they wouldn't need a board to vote!
I genuinely understand where you’re coming from, I just can’t make myself support a group that advocates for the removal of my rights. I mean honestly when is the last time that the NRA passed legislation at the federal level that did any good for gun owners? It seems that recent history they have only advocated for the loss of rights i.e. bumpstocks and red flag laws.

Here’s a link to recent accomplishments from FPC and GOA:
https://www.firearmspolicy.org/news

https://gunowners.org/about-goa/#section-about-goa-6

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

jb2012 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:22 pm
G.A. Heath wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:53 am

I genuinely understand where you’re coming from, I just can’t make myself support a group that advocates for the removal of my rights. I mean honestly when is the last time that the NRA passed legislation at the federal level that did any good for gun owners? It seems that recent history they have only advocated for the loss of rights i.e. bumpstocks and red flag laws.

Here’s a link to recent accomplishments from FPC and GOA:
https://www.firearmspolicy.org/news

https://gunowners.org/about-goa/#section-about-goa-6
This seems like a backwards way of looking at it. Keep in mind, there is opposition and public perception and ignorance is on the side of the gun control crowd. Sometimes a compromise or sacrifice has to made to protect the larger number of gun owners and rights.

What percentage of gunowners actually own bumpstocks? I know several that didn't even know what they were until Las Vegas.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Of course I do not agree 100% with the NRA or any other organization. How about we have all three be strong advocates rather than hoping the "biggest and most powerful" "fallout"?

If 100% agreement and alignment is the standard, the we all need to leave our wives, jobs, friends, churches, etc. and start seeking the one we agree and align with 100%.

Return to “National Rifle Association”