Pledge of A. edited in old movie?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Pledge of A. edited in old movie?

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Was channel flipping thru the cable box guide the other night, caught the name 'Dorothy Dandridge' in passing and flipped back to that entry. The movie was 'Bright Road' (1953). Since I'd never seen anything she was in, I brought up that feed (probably TCM, or might have been AMC) and watched for a few minutes. Her character is a 4th grade teacher in a school in the south. I blipped in shortly before morning class is called to order; after an exhibit of the usual Hollywoood kid roles of the period (teachers pet, class clown, etc) class is called to order and they recite the pledge of allegiance. :patriot: So I'm reliving the elementary school milieu of my youth (OK, >MY< youth was 10 years later, but things hadn't changed appreciably yet...) and then I'm rudely jarred out of my nostalgia when the sound track recites "one nation, indivisible" :shock: and I immediately look at the visuals for any evidence of continuity errors in the video. Didn't see any, but I'm not a lip reader, so I couldn't tell if 'under God' was still being mouthed by the kids under a modified sound track.

Was George Orwell right, and 'The Ministry of Truth' is now editing 80 year old, "nobody watches these" movies to sanitize references to God? :confused5

Or to put it in terms 80's kids can relate to, we've actually achieved the manipulation of reality laid out in the Max Headroom series, Season One, Episode Six "The Blanks", to whit; "Data Rescan and the Trojan Sheep"?

As we say down here on the border, "son of a motherless goat, don't you losers have anything better to do with your time?!"
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

OlBill

Re: Pledge of A. edited in old movie?

Post by OlBill »

It was added in 1954.

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

https://www.britannica.com/event/Pledge ... of-America

"In 1954, at President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s urging, the Congress legislated that “under God” be added..."

No conspiracy here. The pledge has changed several times since it's conception.

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

http://www.ushistory.org/documents/pledge.htm

There have been several changes to The Pledge of Allegiance, as first written in 1892. The words, "Under God" were added in 1954, so your movie, filmed in 1953 would not have had that phrase in it.

rotor

Post by rotor »

I was in school when it was added and we learned it both ways.

RicoTX
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RicoTX »

I am one who did not learn to put my hand over my heart during the national anthem...only during the pledge. I've never been given any grief for this, and yes I do remove my hat. I have argued with people about the pledge...it did not use to have under God, and you saluted the flag in a manner now called the Nazi salute.

My point is that things change.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

I should add though that with everything being digital now, it is now much easier to change history so to speak
TSRA Member
GOA Member

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

RicoTX wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:31 pm I am one who did not learn to put my hand over my heart during the national anthem...only during the pledge. I've never been given any grief for this, and yes I do remove my hat. I have argued with people about the pledge...it did not use to have under God, and you saluted the flag in a manner now called the Nazi salute.

6 U.S. Code § 301. National anthem

(a)Designation.—
The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.

(b)Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem—

(1) when the flag is displayed—

(A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;

(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and

(C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and

(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

G26ster wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:47 pm
RicoTX wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:31 pm I am one who did not learn to put my hand over my heart during the national anthem...only during the pledge. I've never been given any grief for this, and yes I do remove my hat. I have argued with people about the pledge...it did not use to have under God, and you saluted the flag in a manner now called the Nazi salute.

6 U.S. Code § 301. National anthem

(a)Designation.—
The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.

(b)Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem—

(1) when the flag is displayed—

(A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;

(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and

(C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and

(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.
Yes I I realize that the code calls for it. But I didn't learn it that way is all I'm saying.

Which reminds me, why do women get to keep their hat on? I assume because it's a pain to remove? Doesn't bother me, just curious.
TSRA Member
GOA Member

Return to “Off-Topic”