Looking for a safe recommendation

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

PBratton
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Looking for a safe recommendation

Post by PBratton »

Most any safe with a good Burglary, (TL) rating can help you out.

Keep in mind that rule of thumb is that any safe lighter than 750 pounds needs to be secured to the floor.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

pushpullpete
Posts in topic: 1

Post by pushpullpete »

PBratton wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:00 pm Keep in mind that rule of thumb is that any safe lighter than 750 pounds needs to be secured to the floor.
:iagree:

My safe is over 1000 & when I moved, the apparent ease that two guys moved it with, it's bolted down again and a wall
now needs to be removed to get it out. Mine is a Liberty & I've been very happy with it but, it's probably a little larger
than you're looking for. They do have some smaller models. Others have said it before, whatever you get, it should be
the best/largest that you can afford. You will always find things that you want to secure in your safe. It's kind of funny
but, I have never talked to anyone who complained about their safe being too big (until the time comes to move it).:shock:
Luck in your search.

:txflag: :patriot:

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I will echo about getting the biggest safe as possible. Safes are like tents. I have never seen a two-man tent that will sleep two men comfortably. Safes are sized by their maximum capacity if you are a Tetris champion and don't mind unloading it every time you need a gun in the back. Handguns are a little more forgiving but you will run into the same issue. Then you also decide to store your valuables, important papers, etc an that eats up a little more room. My modest collection has surpassed my, what I thought was plenty big, safe capacity.

Also understand that most gun "safes" are not safes, they are Residentail Security Containers, Here's an interesting read. I don't have any affiliation, just found it to be interesting. I still have my safe and will probably get another one soon but the article does give some food for thought.

What I'd prefer is a dedicated gun vault room but, alas, Publisher's Clearing House hasn't knocked on my door.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

My newest safe is a Steelwater safe.

Great folks. Great transaction. Great delivery, straight into the garage.

Couldn't have asked for anything more from them.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

ELB

Post by ELB »

Go read what this guy has to say:
https://gunsafereviewsguy.com/
USAF 1982-2005

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Interesting watching the circular saw cut through the safe. I believe it! My dad taught me locks only keep honest people out.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

I'm in the same boat. Unfortunately I live in an apartment so getting a massive heavy safe is probably out of the question, as is bolting one to the floor. I only need enough room for 1 rifle and a few hand guns. For now anyway, I'd like something good to deter thieves but also somewhat fire safe. I realize a safe small enough for apartment life AND fire safe is asking quite a bit. I'll keep checking back, and if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

I know you said you aren't looking for a safe for long guns, but I just received an email from Gebo's. They are running a sale again on what I think is the best value in a gun safe. I bought one a couple of years ago and love it, especially the swing out gun rack. Below is a link to the sales ad. The safe is on page 4 of the ad.

http://www.gebos.com/flipbooks/flipbook ... index.html
Charlie

ELB

Post by ELB »

Odinvalknir wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:11 pm I'm in the same boat. Unfortunately I live in an apartment so getting a massive heavy safe is probably out of the question, as is bolting one to the floor. I only need enough room for 1 rifle and a few hand guns. For now anyway, I'd like something good to deter thieves but also somewhat fire safe. I realize a safe small enough for apartment life AND fire safe is asking quite a bit. I'll keep checking back, and if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.
The guy I link to above points out that a good burglar resistant safe that actually has decent UL approved fire resistance is pretty expensive, and could very well be far more Expensive than the guns you are putting into it. Unless you are talking heirloom Firearms, it might make more sense to make sure you have insurance that covers your guns, like through NRA, and simply buy a job box Or similar Residential security container to deter smash and grab burglaries.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”