Carrying on someones private property

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dsim
Posts in topic: 3

Carrying on someones private property

Post by dsim »

I cannot seem to locate an answer to this question in the statutes, unless by private property you mean a business. I was wondering if it would be legal to carry at someones residence without their permission. Had an instance the other day where someone that was invited over to a friends house (on 10 acres) was carrying concealed, I do not know if they have an LTC but they were printing big time. They were not on the property for long, it was just a quick deal, but I was wondering if it was necessary to post 30.06/30.07 signs at the front gate in order to stop it from happening again.

Thanks in advance.

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carrying on someones private property

Post by Papa_Tiger »

dsim wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:29 pm I cannot seem to locate an answer to this question in the statutes, unless by private property you mean a business. I was wondering if it would be legal to carry at someones residence without their permission. Had an instance the other day where someone that was invited over to a friends house (on 10 acres) was carrying concealed, I do not know if they have an LTC but they were printing big time. They were not on the property for long, it was just a quick deal, but I was wondering if it was necessary to post 30.06/30.07 signs at the front gate in order to stop it from happening again.

Thanks in advance.
A good way to handle law in general is that unless it is prohibited, it is legal. In this case, the law states that if a person has an LTC, they may carry in public. It becomes trespass by a license holder if they are notified by any of the methods outlined in 30.06 or 30.07 (sign, card, oral notification) that carrying is prohibited in that location. Note that this notification only becomes effective once they leave their vehicle.

No you would not have to post a sign unless you want to avoid handing a card or giving direct oral notification to the individual.

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 2

Post by crazy2medic »

I can't speak for others but for me, if I pull up to a gate that's posted, I'd back out and go home! They'd just have to wonder what happened to their buyer or whatever transaction was suppose to take place! There would be no way I'd go out in the country unarmed! My 2cents.
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

dsim wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:29 pm I cannot seem to locate an answer to this question in the statutes, unless by private property you mean a business. I was wondering if it would be legal to carry at someones residence without their permission. Had an instance the other day where someone that was invited over to a friends house (on 10 acres) was carrying concealed, I do not know if they have an LTC but they were printing big time. They were not on the property for long, it was just a quick deal, but I was wondering if it was necessary to post 30.06/30.07 signs at the front gate in order to stop it from happening again.

Thanks in advance.
I just post no trespassing signs. If I invite someone on my property, they are welcome to carry.

Topic author
dsim

Post by dsim »

WTR wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:58 pm
I just post no trespassing signs. If I invite someone on my property, they are welcome to carry.
Even if you do not know the individual from something other than an email exchange? I agree that it was wreckless, just trying to see if there is another solution besides signage and/or an oral warning.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Thanks in advance.
In Texas there is no requirement to notify the property owner you are carrying. Some states, like Arkansas, have the requirement to inform the homeowner that you are armed before entering.

My question is, if you invite someone over, why would you care if they were carrying legally? And, if they are not carrying legally, a 30.06/07 sign is not gonna stop them, just the person who is legal. If I had someone post because I was legally carrying they would be de-friended faster than I de-friend someone on Facebook.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

dsim wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:09 pm
WTR wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:58 pm
Even if you do not know the individual from something other than an email exchange? I agree that it was wreckless, just trying to see if there is another solution besides signage and/or an oral warning.
If someone is on my property I assume they are armed. No one from an email exchange is going to be allowed on my property. Wherever we agree to meet, I will be armed.

Topic author
dsim

Post by dsim »

I appreciate the replies. Lesson learned on this one, no more unknown visitors to the property.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

dsim wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:26 pm I appreciate the replies. Lesson learned on this one, no more unknown visitors to the property.
Back when I was new to CHL/LTC, I had similar concerns. 11 years later, not so much. People are frequently armed in this state - frequently lawfully, but not always. Signage only keeps out the ones you don’t really need to worry about. In fact, it keeps out the very ones who might end up being on your side in a scrape with a bad guy with a gun. There’s a famous quote from Suzanna Gratia Hupp, who said:
How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of.
I’ve extended that in my personal outlook towards other individuals. I can choose to view each individual as part of an unruly crowd, or I can choose to view them as my trustworthy and productive fellow citizen.

If a bad person enters my property, armed and with evil intent, he’s at least outnumbered by one - as both my wife and I are at home and armed - and he’s outgunned by .... well...with as many loaded guns as there are in my home, he’s outgunned by a substantial number.

I wouldn’t allow anybody to roam a property of mine unattended and without permission - armed or not. But similarly, if I allow them on the property, then it isn’t relevant to me if they’re armed or not.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Liberty
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Liberty »

I don't understand the issue. I pretty much don't go anywhere without packing. It is what good responsible men do. If I am not welcome while I'm packing, I am not welcome. Hoplophobics are not welcome in my life. People with unreasoned fear of guns and the good people that carry are an inferior breed.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

dsim wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:26 pm I appreciate the replies. Lesson learned on this one, no more unknown visitors to the property.
Just a guess here, but was this some type of person buying or selling something? If something like a Craigslist buy, I don't go to ANY of them without being armed. Period.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

KLB

Post by KLB »

Keith B wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:02 pm Just a guess here, but was this some type of person buying or selling something? If something like a Craigslist buy, I don't go to ANY of them without being armed. Period.
A wise policy. But in connection with a writing group I belong to, I find myself going into people's homes when I have no idea of their position on guns. YMMV, but I see it not as a matter of law but of etiquette not to carry in such cases, though my weapon is often in the car.

Again, YMMV. Make your own call.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Liberty »

KLB wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:49 pm
Keith B wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:02 pm Just a guess here, but was this some type of person buying or selling something? If something like a Craigslist buy, I don't go to ANY of them without being armed. Period.
A wise policy. But in connection with a writing group I belong to, I find myself going into people's homes when I have no idea of their position on guns. YMMV, but I see it not as a matter of law but of etiquette not to carry in such cases, though my weapon is often in the car.

Again, YMMV. Make your own call.
As a matter of courtesy, I find what people carry stuffed in their pants is none of my business and what's stuffed in mine is none of theirs. Concealed is concealed.

Although I will not carry if I know there are very young kids present.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

As a matter of courtesy, I find what people carry stuffed in their pants is none of my business and what's stuffed in mine is none of theirs. Concealed is concealed.
[/quote][/quote]

I like that quote and the philosophy behind it!

Jeff B. :mrgreen:
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

Txtension

Post by Txtension »

Although I will not carry if I know there are very young kids present.
Why the disconnect? It seems unreasonable that any risk brought to the table is any more or less justifiable based on age alone. Unless you're often tagged into hide-and-go-seek or pull off some crazy dance moves. But one could logically disarm at that point because of the activities.

Lots of (bad) laws get pushed with "think of the children". :tiphat:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”