Nervous LTC test

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Nervous LTC test

Post by bblhd672 »

You should be fine based upon your target. Definitely you should get in one more range visit and shoot the B27 target at 3 and 7 yards.

Like many others here I had very inexperienced people in my class. A lady in her 70’s who owned a revolver but hardly ever shot it, and a young lady in mid-20’s who had never even handled a gun much less shot one. Both passed.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

You may also be anticipating the shot and dropping / dipping, ever so slightly, the barrel to compensate. i had this issue and it takes a little time to overcome, a slight change in my grip really helped.
NRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

gabeZherrera wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:44 pm
Liberty wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:12 pm What kind of gun are you shooting? a long stiff pull on a trigger can make it hard to keep the sights on target. Lots of new shooters these days are buying LC9s or LCP styled guns and they can be tough to master.
I’m shooting a Sig P320 compact, again i have small frame hands so I am thinking it is my trigger press
Look at the chart I posted immediately under your opener. It will tell you what you need to correct.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

Grip is your primary problem. PM me your general location for help.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

gabeZherrera wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:44 pm
Liberty wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:12 pm What kind of gun are you shooting? a long stiff pull on a trigger can make it hard to keep the sights on target. Lots of new shooters these days are buying LC9s or LCP styled guns and they can be tough to master.
I’m shooting a Sig P320 compact, again i have small frame hands so I am thinking it is my trigger press
Do you have the stock grip on this compact? (look for a "M" right above the lanyard hole). That's a Medium grip by default. The Small grip module may be what you need. If you're in the Houston area, hit me up. I've got a stack of those sitting around.

If not in the Houston area, this is the part number: GRIP-MOD-C-943-SM-BLK price will average $38 depending on where you shop.

Overall, don't worry about the shooting test. That's the fun part. You could pass it with your eyes closed. I don't suggest that, but you really could.

The circle diagnostic graphic isn't terrible but I don't find it particularly useful for students.

Relaxed but stable posture. Think an athleltic stance. Weight distributed, weight slightly forward, not tense.

Firm, but relaxed grip.

Good sight alignment and sight picture.

Smooth trigger pull. Address the trigger, take up the slack, break the shot when you want to.

Rinse and repeat until you're happy.

If your LTC instructor is any good, he or she will help you out.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

When dry firing, where are the sights pointed after you pull the trigger? You might benefit a lot from shooting a .22 pistol, in that fear of the gun going off will cause you to flinch. A .22 has so little recoil that you watch yourself miss for no reason and then decide not to flinch (which is easy because the muzzle blast is gone. Finally, double up on hearing protection (plugs and muffs) when shooting, as the noise contributes a ton to flinch.

There is no shame in flinching; I catch myself doing it from time to time and must be diligent in getting rid of it. Flinching doesn't imply that you're a sissy or that you don't know what you're doing; it is a natural human reaction to an explosion a few feet from your face that you must continually condition your lizard brain to ignore.

ammoboy2

Post by ammoboy2 »

If I do this correctly is a link to completing the test with eyes closed. He also included a draw which is not part of the test.

https://lockedback.com/passing-the-texa ... t-with-my-…/

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

Relax. Test is easy. I took my wife to the range twice before her test and she passed.

Her test was her 4th time shooting a gun ever. She shot my gun once. Then about 6 months later hers twice. And then tested.

Topic author
gabeZherrera
Posts in topic: 6

Post by gabeZherrera »

Good news, passed with 232/250. Thank you everyone for the tips and I will continue to train. Also i have submitted application and fingerprints the week before. I am submitting the form the same day. Anyone know how long recently it has been taking to get your LTC in hand?

joe817

Post by joe817 »

gabeZherrera wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:38 pm Good news, passed with 232/250. Thank you everyone for the tips and I will continue to train. Also i have submitted application and fingerprints the week before. I am submitting the form the same day. Anyone know how long recently it has been taking to get your LTC in hand?
See? It wasn't so bad after all, was it? And CONGRATULATIONS! The length of time you'll get the license depends on how much is in your file(arrests, convictions, dismissals, etc.)
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
gabeZherrera
Posts in topic: 6

Post by gabeZherrera »

joe817 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:02 pm
gabeZherrera wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:38 pm Good news, passed with 232/250. Thank you everyone for the tips and I will continue to train. Also i have submitted application and fingerprints the week before. I am submitting the form the same day. Anyone know how long recently it has been taking to get your LTC in hand?
See? It wasn't so bad after all, was it? And CONGRATULATIONS! The length of time you'll get the license depends on how much is in your file(arrests, convictions, dismissals, etc.)
It wasnt bad at all! No arrests or convictions, no tickets at all. Also do you know if the LTC100 paper needs to be submitted via PDF to the dps website? Or a picture of it

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AF-Odin »

PDF works just fine. Congratulations. Your score was god enough to pass the LTC Instructor course, just need a 225.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

gabeZherrera wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:12 pm ...

It wasnt bad at all! No arrests or convictions, no tickets at all. Also do you know if the LTC100 paper needs to be submitted via PDF to the dps website? Or a picture of it
PDF required.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”