Weapon storage near Glacier national park

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Mel
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Weapon storage near Glacier national park

Post by Mel »

2farnorth wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:03 am Storage of the handgun is very problematic. FFL/pawn shop is out because of out of state return plus they have accomplish the background check. I couldn't even get an FFL to do it when a had to go visit a distant military base in state. This is something the NRA should try to address. Might see if you can do a short term rental of a safe deposit box at a bank up there.
Or maybe take out a $10 loan and let them keep the handgun as collateral.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

Malawler

Post by Malawler »

Short term rental of one of those self storage facilities. Or a good locking case in a bus station/airport locker.

Lena
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lena »

Been there and did the safety deposit box thing just a brown envelope going in and out was all there was to it.
Stay Safe

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Frankly, for my money, the desire to visit Canada is virtually irreconcilable with the desire to travel armed. It’s just too much trouble. One or the other has to go. I’d give up the visit to Canada, as the most practical alternative is to not travel with your firearm. The idea of cacheing your gun off the trail somewhere sounds good on its face, but you’d better be darned sure you’re not under observation by someone unseen to you when you do it. To my mind, that’s a desperation move.

BTW, many storage rental companies have rules about what you are not permitted to store in their storage lockers - vehicles and firearms being very high on their lists of no-no’s.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

Lena wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:53 am Been there and did the safety deposit box thing just a brown envelope going in and out was all there was to it.
Works if you have an account with a bank that has a branch in the town you’re in. If not, what then?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:58 am BTW, many storage rental companies have rules about what you are not permitted to store in their storage lockers - vehicles and firearms being very high on their lists of no-no’s.
Some of the independent operators actually want to do business with gun owners......

https://www.freedomvault.com/ (Reader's Digest version)

https://www.facebook.com/q945rocks/vide ... 552714334/ (longer [18 minute+-] interview/infomercial with one of the business owners)

Might be worth looking at websites for storage units in the intended area to see if they have anything like this.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Visted Glacier National Park in 2017. Flew to El Paso rented a car visited the border and went border to border and back. I did not cross into Canada.

Glacier National Park was great. However Hidden Lake, a moraine lake I wanted to hike to near the top of the Going to the Sun Road was closed due to bears. They sell bear spray in the gift shops in Apgar, about $55 if I remember correctly. Stayed at the Village Inn at Apgar, had a first floor room that faced the water with small patio. Really breathtaking views, very peaceful, went swimming in the lake. Did not rough it by camping or going back country or anything. Lots of shops and restaurants in Apgar. We enjoyed our stay and want to go back.

Pretty country. Very big, but not a lot of people or things like banks, fedx drops or pawn shops North of Kalispell. Lots of people selling cherries on the roads. Stayed in Butte night before and panned for sapphires in Philipsburg.

Oh and with your Texas license plate, they will very carefully search your car for guns at the Canadian border. Plan for at least an hour at the border. I think I have told that story here before. They really do not like guns in Canada.

Lena

Post by Lena »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:00 am
Lena wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:53 am Been there and did the safety deposit box thing just a brown envelope going in and out was all there was to it.
Works if you have an account with a bank that has a branch in the town you’re in. If not, what then?
I went to my bank Chase and had them locate a close location to where I went, the branch mgr called the one there and told them my issue, I was not even charged for the box rental for 3 days, the entire situation went very smooth, I would look for the closest branch of your bank to where I was going. Been a customer since 83 of one of their affiliates. I had all enclosed in a NON GUN looking bag in a large envelope. Called the branch mgr when I pulled in the lot, she came out and walked me inside.
Stay Safe

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

philip964 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 12:40 pm
Oh and with your Texas license plate, they will very carefully search your car for guns at the Canadian border. Plan for at least an hour at the border. I think I have told that story here before. They really do not like guns in Canada.
Not always true. We crossed into Canada at Niagra Falls with an RV. There are a lot of other things that Canadian officials want to search for from food to alcohol and the RV forums are full of stories about that. There are hefty fines for bringing too much alcohol into Canada. The Canadian border agent asked me about guns and even if I owned guns.I told her that i was very familiar with Canadian laws and had left my guns back in Texas (I did). We were waved through without a search for anything. We took very little food and no alcohol so a search would have turned up nothing.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Hmmm. Maybe I need to open a bunch of these along the borders.

https://www.sitelinkstore.com/The-Gunlocker-Inc

For years before retiring I thought about opening such a place when I retired. So I retire, go to find a good spot, and guess what I find in the perfect spot.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

jmorris wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 2:42 pm Hmmm. Maybe I need to open a bunch of these along the borders.

For years before retiring I thought about opening such a place when I retired. So I retire, go to find a good spot, and guess what I find in the perfect spot.
Borders of NY, NJ, and CA sound like ideal spots.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

The Annoyed Man

Flightmare wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 3:43 pm
jmorris wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 2:42 pm Hmmm. Maybe I need to open a bunch of these along the borders.

Borders of NY, NJ, and CA sound like ideal spots.
Not that CA isn't crazy, but it's not entirely impossible to travel with a firearm there. I just make sure that whatever I bring has a capacity limit of 10 rounds ... so I typically drive there with either my .357 snubbie, or my 10-round M&P45 Full Size. As far as long guns go, I'd probably bring either my Marlin 336BL .30/30, with a 6+1 capacity, or my Mossberg 590A1 with 8+1 capacity but I don't generally bring a long gun when traveling, unless I'm pulling a travel trailer and plan on camping along the way. Of course, before crossing into Mordor, the first thing I do is pull over in AZ just before crossing the river, and unload and case the firearm in a locked case - per their insane laws. But my point is that it really isn't necessary to find out of state storage for your firearms before entering California .... with a couple of caveats .... that (1) it has to be transported unloaded and locked in a case, stored out of reach of yourself (i.e. back of your SUV, or trunk of your car) during transportation; and (2) it can't be a class of weapons that is banned in CA. For instance, an off-roster model of pistol is fine as long as it has a capacity of 10 rounds or less, but an AR15 that is not fully CA-compliant is not.

#TINVOWOOT

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Take it to a LGS, drop it off and have them do a detail cleaning. Pick it up when you get back.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
CoffeeNut
Posts in topic: 6

Post by CoffeeNut »

cirus wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:07 am
AJSully421 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:32 pm A few steps off of a trail, a zip lock, a handfull of leaves, and a perfect memory.

Done and done.
:iagree:
This was going to be the plan but it turns out she has a relative near the border that I can leave it with.

I did call the RCMP and there is no way to bring a handgun into Canada unless you're going to Alaska.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”