Ask Amy...

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Ask Amy...

Post by The Annoyed Man »

WildBill wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:05 am Dear Dumb Father - Tell your daughter she can stay at your house if she gets rid of her exploding bullets and replaces them with the type that police use.
"rlol"

I like your thinkin'!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

Children should be taught to fear guns until they are old enough to be taught to responsibly handle them (even if they never willingly do so).

The basic, safe handling of a firearm is a life skill. When the population was largely rural it was simply passed down like changing a tire or watering plants. Lack of utility in daily life for urbanites has made this (and many other) life skills into strange or secret knowledge for them. This ignorance, when coupled with profound arrogance, produces the demonstrably false statement issued by Amy.

My favorite counter to people who blindly quote the Kellerman "a gun in the home is 3x more likely to kill a resident of the house than an intruder" is to ask if they keep a rifle or shotgun, rent a home/apartment, or consume any amount of alcohol. According to that one study, renting or consuming ANY alcohol raises your odds of being a homicide victim more than owning a pistol. A rifle or shotgun in the home actually reduces one's odds of becoming a victim of homicide in the home.

But Kellerman's study was horribly done. The best guess based upon his own data and government data suggests that about 4.5% of homicides committed in homes were committed with guns kept in the home.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WTR »

MaduroBU wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:24 pm Children should be taught to fear guns until they are old enough to be taught to responsibly handle them (even if they never willingly do so).

The basic, safe handling of a firearm is a life skill. When the population was largely rural it was simply passed down like changing a tire or watering plants. Lack of utility in daily life for urbanites has made this (and many other) life skills into strange or secret knowledge for them. This ignorance, when coupled with profound arrogance, produces the demonstrably false statement issued by Amy.

My favorite counter to people who blindly quote the Kellerman "a gun in the home is 3x more likely to kill a resident of the house than an intruder" is to ask if they keep a rifle or shotgun, rent a home/apartment, or consume any amount of alcohol. According to that one study, renting or consuming ANY alcohol raises your odds of being a homicide victim more than owning a pistol. A rifle or shotgun in the home actually reduces one's odds of becoming a victim of homicide in the home.

But Kellerman's study was horribly done. The best guess based upon his own data and government data suggests that about 4.5% of homicides committed in homes were committed with guns kept in the home.
Children should never be taught to fear a weapon. They need to be taught to respect weapons and respect the adult who tells them not to handle a weapon until they receive the proper training in order to handle a weapons safely.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 8

Post by C-dub »

I taught my daughter to respect many things including firearms and fear nothing. The later bites me in the rear every now and then, but I still think she's great!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

C-dub wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:16 pm I taught my daughter to respect many things including firearms and fear nothing. The later bites me in the rear every now and then, but I still think she's great!
I dunno. I think she fears running out of gas here and there. :biggrinjester:
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

WTR wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:48 pm Children should never be taught to fear a weapon. They need to be taught to respect weapons and respect the adult who tells them not to handle a weapon until they receive the proper training in order to handle a weapons safely.
:iagree:

There's no doubt guns are dangerous to untrained children. The same is true for many other household tools like kitchen knives and toaster ovens. Actually, let me correct my first sentence. Guns are dangerous to untrained people who don't have self control, no matter their age.

Also, while every preventable injury is tragic, especially fatal injuries, guns get a disproportionate amount of attention because of political agendas. The reality is, for children less than 1 year of age, two–thirds of injury deaths were due to suffocation. Drowning is the leading cause injury death for those 1 to 4 years of age, but there isn't a Soros-funded movement to ban private ownership of swimming pools and bathtubs. Somehow, rational thought rears its head, and people understand that education is more effective than legislation.

Between 5 and 19 years of age, most injury deaths come from being an occupant in a motor vehicle traffic crash. Should we teach K-12 students to fear being passengers in the family automobile or the school bus?
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Flightmare wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:27 pm
C-dub wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:16 pm I taught my daughter to respect many things including firearms and fear nothing. The later bites me in the rear every now and then, but I still think she's great!
Not if I'm just a phone call away with an extra gallon or two. I can't fit a two gallon can in my bike, but I wonder if I can fit a couple one gallon ones in the saddle bags.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

aero10 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:12 am
C-dub wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:40 am No comment section? I was really looking forward to reading those. Or adding one.
Ask and ye shall receive. This one has a comment section.

https://www.al.com/life/2019/06/ask-amy ... house.html
That was great. The comments were what what I was hoping for. The people step up to correct "Amy's" ignorance and point it out to all.

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

C-dub wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:56 pm
Flightmare wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:27 pm
Not if I'm just a phone call away with an extra gallon or two. I can't fit a two gallon can in my bike, but I wonder if I can fit a couple one gallon ones in the saddle bags.
Here ya go:
https://www.amazon.com/GALLON-PLASTIC-D ... B00NPCEEVQ :thumbs2:

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

C-dub:

I guess you never schooled H-dub that "E" means EMPTY, not ENOUGH. :-)

****************************************************************************************************************************8
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Dickinson

The columnist is from NYS, went to college in Mass, and DC. That's where her gun ignorance problem started.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bblhd672 »

Ask Amy, P.O. Box 194, Freeville, NY 13068
New Yorker....it makes sense now.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bblhd672 »

tbrown wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:39 pm There's no doubt guns are dangerous to untrained children.
:iagree: This father should never own a gun
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

bblhd672 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:15 pm
tbrown wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:39 pm There's no doubt guns are dangerous to untrained children.
:iagree: This father should never own a gun
He should have never had children.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “Off-Topic”