No place but Dallas.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Re: No place but Dallas.

Post by flechero »

But no confirmation of any guns ever actually being destroyed... Sounds fishy to me... they wanted the big press surge for "taking a stand" but no new story or follow up to the destruction of the guns in over 6 months?? Sounds to me like the bean counter said the press rally didn't bump sales up enough to ditch the guns.

Probably selling them quietly.

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

And how many of those disappeared one night never to be seen again?...

The left's antics make the world a more dangerous place.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bblhd672 »

Apparently people in other cities are fed up with the whole pay per mile bike/scooter thing.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html#
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Dallas Man Killed In Accident On Electric Scooter
https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/09/03/dal ... c-scooter/
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – The trial period for electric scooter use on Dallas streets has hit a fatal first.

Jacoby Stoneking, 24, died Sunday after an accident in the 500 block of South Munger.
China has an abandoned bike problem:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/amazing-dron ... 18017.html
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 21

Post by philip964 »

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/immigra ... eportation

Dallas ponies up $100,000 for immigrant legal services.

I think I read where Dallas can’t pay for police protection for it citizens and 911 calls may take 2 1/2 hrs to respond.

But hey, Houston paid $20,000 for a non English speaking poet laureate.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Bitter Clinger »

philip964 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:45 pm https://www.dallasnews.com/news/immigra ... eportation

I think I read where Dallas can’t pay for police protection for it citizens and 911 calls may take 2 1/2 hrs to respond.

Dallas County has 247,000 "unauthorized immigrants"...how is this NOT a direct violation of Governor Abbott's "No Sanctuary Cities" policy?
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 8

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:10 pm
philip964 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:45 pm https://www.dallasnews.com/news/immigra ... eportation

Dallas County has 247,000 "unauthorized immigrants"...how is this NOT a direct violation of Governor Abbott's "No Sanctuary Cities" policy?
Unauthorized immigrants??? Is that the new politically correct way of saying illegal alien? :roll:

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:02 pm
Bitter Clinger wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:10 pm

Unauthorized immigrants??? Is that the new politically correct way of saying illegal alien? :roll:

Apparently, right? It's a quote from the left-wing Dallas Snooze link that phillip964 provided. We are doomed.
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Interblog

Post by Interblog »

Well, the thread veered a bit, but please let me add a different perspective about dockless bikes and scooters.

I initially found those things to be supremely annoying as many people do, but real life is always a great teacher.

I became a fan this winter / spring while working extensively in downtown Austin. Especially as a smaller woman, I'm a constant target of the panhandlers, drug users, and other people who mingle in all Texas urban cores in considerable numbers (some homeless, some apparently not), but especially in liberal Austin.

The scooters allowed me to get from my parked vehicle to and from various urban destinations without being hassled. Street people generally won't approach dockless riders - they know it's futile, and you can just zip away at 12 mph if they make the attempt. So in that respect, the devices provided a welcome additional measure of safety that was far more convenient than any other option - just grab one, scan the code with the phone, and go. I love them.

:txflag:

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

I work in uptown Dallas and these bikes and the scooters which replaced them are a PITA. They are primarily ridden on the sidewalks where often inebriated youths fly across driveways and intersections with no regard for law or the safety of pedestrians. When done, these things are left scattered about like trash.

I use a very expensive luxury car for work and was struck by a moron on a scooter while I was sitting idle in my driveway waiting to turn onto a street. The miscreant saw that he had damaged a ridiculously expensive vehicle and sped off while yelling at me as if I was somehow in the wrong while he was illegally riding a motorized vehicle on the sidewalk. No helmet. No regard for the law.

Truth be told there appears to be a system. The bikes arrive in a city overnight. They are used and discarded until all of the sudden the scooters arrive and then; as happened in Dallas, the bikes disappear overnight. The scooters are ridden illegally and all manner of bad things happen until a slew of lawsuits threaten these companies slim profit margin and then they move on to the next city. It is a hit the city hard and fast and make what we can as quickly as we can and then move on method.

Some of the outlying cities around Dallas have already banned these things. There may be companies which have a more permanent business model (return stations), but not the ones that have hit Dallas.

21$ per unit is not much when one considers the damage, accidents, cleanup and disruption these things cause. If it runs them out (it shouldn’t) then the citizens of this city should get a bike, a helmet, and obey some laws that are in place for everyone’s safety. I’m sure the scooters will move along soon enough like a bad carnival.

Sorry for the rant, lots of personal experience,
Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

Interblog

Post by Interblog »

Having spent the winter and spring riding these things, my observation is that 95%+ of the riders are acting appropriately. After all, they / we are paying for those transactions. Screw around and you will be racking up fees for no good reason.

If we call for the banning of certain tools and implements based on X number of bad actors, with X being a small number, who knows how far that argument might extend - people might use it to justify calling for a ban on guns, for instance.

Yeah. Better to address the lawlessness, I find, than to throw out babies with the bathwater.

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

My observation after working in Dallas for years is that at least 95% of riders are breaking the law ,as stated by city ordinance, when they fly down city sidewalks. Not an argument; a statement of fact.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 8

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Well there is no doubt how surferdaddy feels about he bike issue. To be honest, if I had the same experiences with the riders he has, I would be ready to get rid of them too.

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

I see accidents (wipeouts) daily with these things. I have become callous and no longer even offer help.
CHL/LTC instructor

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Dallas ranks in bottom 15 percent of U.S. drivers, study says

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... ivers.html :oops:
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Return to “Off-Topic”