So can you carry at the DMV?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

So can you carry at the DMV?

Post by philip964 »

I have heard the lines are long, and you should make a reservation on line.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/c ... 49527.html

This lady got frustrated at the wait in Kansas City and shot her gun several times.

Keith B

Re: So can you carry at the DMV?

Post by Keith B »

Missouri license offices are contracted to private individuals to run. They are not statutorily off limits, but they can post a proper sign. The sign at the one in my home town meets legal requirements to prohibit licensed or unlicensed carry. However, there is no penalty associated with passing the sign with a concealed carry license unless you refuse to leave.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

I carried at the one in Plano last month.

State Trooper on duty didnt notice and/or say anything if he did.

3 hr wait and I got there 5 minutes before door opened. Simple renewal.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Bruin98 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:54 pm I carried at the one in Plano last month.

State Trooper on duty didnt notice and/or say anything if he did.

3 hr wait and I got there 5 minutes before door opened. Simple renewal.
For DL, you can get in line online now... they text you updates and tell you when to head in...
You can even request extra time if you're in the middle of something or stuck in traffic... Works great.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/administratio ... online.htm

For renewing vehicle registration, I do it online or go to Kroger. I think Tom Thumb can do it also.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

mcscanner

Post by mcscanner »

philip964 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:54 pm I have heard the lines are long, and you should make a reservation on line.

This lady got frustrated at the wait in Kansas City and shot her gun several times.
On-line is getting easier all except the vehicle inspection for registration. Last stepping stone not likely to be overcome.

I'm thinking the lady will not be using her drivers license anytime soon other than access to grey-bar hotel.
The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

Went earlier this month to the mega-center on S. Gessner in Houston. Not Posted - carried with no problems.
CHL since 01/26/09

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

I carry openly in the DMV offices in Austin. I've been to several in the last two years, taking my children for their driving tests.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

rotor

Post by rotor »

I went to Wichita Falls to renew. Couldn't do it online. No signs. They were so fast I didn't have time to fill out the paperwork.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

rotor wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:05 am I went to Wichita Falls to renew. Couldn't do it online. No signs. They were so fast I didn't have time to fill out the paperwork.
My experience as well. When we tried to schedule a driving test so our daughter could get her D.L. EVERY testing station in the entire DFW Metroplex was booked solid. This was in July 2 years ago IIRC. Nothing available even as far down as Waco. So Wichita Falls was the best solution. It was a good day trip for me, the wife, and daughter.

No waiting in lines. Daughter was filling out paperwork when they called her name for the driving test. The driving test took about 10 minutes. They wound up driving around the residential neighborhood that surrounds the DPS office. :lol: On the way back we stopped into Catfish O'Harlies in Decatur and had a great lunch. Great food. Highly recommended!
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

priusron

Post by priusron »

Not all licenses can be renewed on line. I go to the office in Plainview. Never more than 1 person in front of me. I renew my vehicles on line. No inspection unless I return to the state.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

If you're getting a Federal Real-ID qualified DL, you can't do it on line, at least the first time, and you have to bring your proof of citizenship/immigration status to the appointment. I suppose I'll also drag out my DD-214 to get the Veteran designator, in case they want to see it again. :roll:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

howdy

Post by howdy »

philip964 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:54 pm I have heard the lines are long, and you should make a reservation on line.

Where do you live. If in Houston you can go to Columbus (maybe 40 minute drive west on I 10) and you will be the only person in line.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

LDP wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:16 am
oljames3 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:17 am I carry openly in the DMV offices in Austin. I've been to several in the last two years, taking my children for their driving tests.
Which one? The main office is posted 30.06 and 30.07. Illegally. For years. Complaints have been filed, certified letters mailed, the DA has been notified, no change over the years.
They do not have any official exception (no court, no jail, no school). *shrug*

Capture.PNG
Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to state offices such as DMV and DPS, not the county tax offices. I go to DPS and DMV offices in Austin because my children live in Austin, but I renew my car registration in Bastrop.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”