Soft locking rifle case?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Interblog
Posts in topic: 2

Soft locking rifle case?

Post by Interblog »

Can anyone recommend a rifle case which is small / slim, canvas or similar, and which has some kind of a locking mechanism on it? Analogous to a bank's bag in which they carry cash and lock the zipper.

I'm thinking in terms of Safe Passage (18 USC) where I'm intending to transport a Henry Big Boy across state lines and into Canada (I can get a 60-day rifle permit from the RCMP for Canada). I have a camper van with limited space, and I do not wish to get a big molded plastic case. My other option is to put a lock on the closet door where I store the thing.

Suggestions welcome. I haven't tried this before, and so I haven't figured out the best options.

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Soft locking rifle case?

Post by cmgee67 »

I have seen these at academy and also on amazon. They are a hard plastic case but pretty thin for what it is. It’s about the same thickness as a good soft case that’s padded. This won’t take up anymore room than a soft case I don’t think. This is 41$ on amazon. Made by plano
Attachments
81FC3501-7481-48CB-9EBD-F20A01DE052E.jpeg

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

I would suggest one of the cheap, small, plastic ones as well. If the rifle is not scoped, it'll fit into a pretty small one.
Some soft cases have locking zippers. Most have a ring on the case where the zipper ends - you could put a small lock through that ring and the zipper tab.
https://byallen.com/product-category/gu ... gun-cases/

Topic author
Interblog

Post by Interblog »

Update to this topic --

Rather than going with a locking closet or a locking case as we originally assumed we would do, my husband had the brilliant idea to install a locking mechanism on our van's interior closet wall. To minimize the space devoted to this effort, we can put the rifle in a "sock" and then simply lock it to the wall.

On another forum, a retired LEO suggested a similar mechanism available commercially, and used by law enforcement to secure firearms in vehicles. However, that device was listing for $178 plus it was not very space-efficient in that it stood out far from the wall or floor. Furthermore, - DUH - the mounting holes are accessible in being located on exterior tabs of the device, so it could be defeated easily during a theft (e.g., search Santa Cruz Gun Locks SC-6 Gen II Universal Gun Lock - this is not a product endorsement, just one example of such a device available for sale).

My husband's interpretation cost about ten bucks plus an afternoon practicing his hobby welding skills. Notice his signature security design - the bolt holes are behind the hinged locking cover, preventing access. With this thing installed on a double-layer plywood cabinetry wall, a metal plate backer behind it, and a good lock added, it would be more challenging to defeat. It could be done, but it would involve a lot of work and time for a thief (our original intent was securing the rifle for Safe Passage, but if we have to go to the trouble to create something, might as well make it robust).

I still have to sand and paint it, but here's what it looks like in raw form:

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

Nice! It also counts as actual security instead of a soft case that is technically locked, but not secure.

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

I’d suggest adding way that locks through the lever loop or trigger guard so you can be sure the rifle does not get pulled through.

At an old job they locked an AR in a vehicle and the mechanism that released it broke. Luckily I disassembled the gun in the mount and was able to take it out in pieces.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Interblog wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:42 am Update to this topic --

Rather than going with a locking closet or a locking case as we originally assumed we would do, my husband had the brilliant idea to install a locking mechanism on our van's interior closet wall. To minimize the space devoted to this effort, we can put the rifle in a "sock" and then simply lock it to the wall.

On another forum, a retired LEO suggested a similar mechanism available commercially, and used by law enforcement to secure firearms in vehicles. However, that device was listing for $178 plus it was not very space-efficient in that it stood out far from the wall or floor. Furthermore, - DUH - the mounting holes are accessible in being located on exterior tabs of the device, so it could be defeated easily during a theft (e.g., search Santa Cruz Gun Locks SC-6 Gen II Universal Gun Lock - this is not a product endorsement, just one example of such a device available for sale).

My husband's interpretation cost about ten bucks plus an afternoon practicing his hobby welding skills. Notice his signature security design - the bolt holes are behind the hinged locking cover, preventing access. With this thing installed on a double-layer plywood cabinetry wall, a metal plate backer behind it, and a good lock added, it would be more challenging to defeat. It could be done, but it would involve a lot of work and time for a thief (our original intent was securing the rifle for Safe Passage, but if we have to go to the trouble to create something, might as well make it robust).

I still have to sand and paint it, but here's what it looks like in raw form:

Don’t be fooled. Your design is nice. However, a determined thief with the correct tools will defeat your mechanism in about 10 to 15 seconds. Also, most standard pad locks can be picked fairly easily ( a hobby of mine ). Soo.....insurance!

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”