Short trip ideas

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bobby
Posts in topic: 4

Short trip ideas

Post by bobby »

I don’t like to travel or stay at tourist traps. My wife and son loves to travel and all that. I’m looking for a idea on a day or 2 trip to someplace fun. Thing to think about. My wife is in a powered wheelchair, we have to drive our van. So no yurts or really odd places to stay. Help!
:txflag:

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Short trip ideas

Post by joe817 »

It all depends on where your interest lies. I would think adventuresome would be out of the places. Do you all like to tour historic places? My wife & I do. If so, I'd say Baton Rouge, or New Orleans, and start touring all of the old plantations on the Mississippi down in that area. A lot of great places to eat as well.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WTR »

I don’t know where you live. However , the I know when we built new hotels , Ranger station and trails that everything had to be wheel chair accessable. The rangers did a good job keeping the trails manicured ( this was in the 89-90 range of time. But knowing how the concessioner moved, I bet not much has changed. This was in the Chisos Basin of Big Bend Park.

Topic author
bobby

Post by bobby »

I’m in Houston area. Big bend too long of a drive 350 miles is about all I want to do.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Greece is ridiculous for a gentleman who wants to go no further than 350 miles from Houston.

2 posts on this board, with a suggestion like this, suggests a travel agent spammer.

<Note: a spammer's entry above has been removed>

SIA
Last edited by surprise_i'm_armed on Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Topic author
bobby

Post by bobby »

Ferkil wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:30 pm Any capital would be interesting to visit. I love Greece for example, at some point was even thinking of getting property in Athens https://tranio.com/greece/attica/athens/. If you never been there I would advise to go, very cheap, great people and nice food.
Ok nice I’m self employed and can’t take a few weeks off. Spammer!

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

The Strand in Galveston is wheelchair friendly.

Arkansas National Wildlife Refuge has a circuit drive (don't have to get out of the car) and IIRC, the viewing spots were wheelchair accessible.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

joe817 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:53 am It all depends on where your interest lies. I would think adventuresome would be out of the places. Do you all like to tour historic places? My wife & I do. If so, I'd say Baton Rouge, or New Orleans, and start touring all of the old plantations on the Mississippi down in that area. A lot of great places to eat as well.
Good suggestion about New Orleans, The plantations are pretty neat to tour. If going to New Orleans check Sculpture Garden. I'm not much into art and culture but found it interesting. Very accessible.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

LDP wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:32 am I am right there with you, I am not into tourist trap stuff but wife is. Gotta support the loved ones, though, right?

We don't travel much but we recently spent a weekend in Fredericksburg (west of SAT). Plenty of historic places to see, nice churches, wineries, breweries, museums, gardens, restaurants etc. All wheelchair accessible, btw. The place lives off tourists, mainly city people from nearby Austin.
Gotta warn you, though, the "German" food isn't really authentic, it has been understandably Americanized over the decades.

Not many 06 or 07 places, most wineries have fake 51% signs so do your homework.
All in all the food is still pretty good in Fredricksburg.
a side trip to the LBJ Ranch is very interesting. The WW2 Naval museum is well worth the trip. You don't have to climb Enchamted Rock to appreciate it.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Add me to the Fredericksburg tally. I live 45 minutes away and still love to get away out there.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SewTexas »

Robert and I just did a last minute trip to DFW. Did a Groupon for the hotel. The Kimbel has an amazing Monet exhibit right now, ohhh the waterlilies!!!....through sometime in Sept. If you like bookstores Dallas also has the Flagship for HalfPrice Books Stores, we can spend hours in there.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

SewTexas wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:59 am Robert and I just did a last minute trip to DFW. Did a Groupon for the hotel. The Kimbel has an amazing Monet exhibit right now, ohhh the waterlilies!!!....through sometime in Sept. If you like bookstores Dallas also has the Flagship for HalfPrice Books Stores, we can spend hours in there.
Are the Half-Price Bookstores you frequent posted with 30.06 and 30.07 as they all are in the Austin area?
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

joe817

Post by joe817 »

oljames3 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:51 pm
SewTexas wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:59 am Robert and I just did a last minute trip to DFW. Did a Groupon for the hotel. The Kimbel has an amazing Monet exhibit right now, ohhh the waterlilies!!!....through sometime in Sept. If you like bookstores Dallas also has the Flagship for HalfPrice Books Stores, we can spend hours in there.
Are the Half-Price Bookstores you frequent posted with 30.06 and 30.07 as they all are in the Austin area?
They are here in Arlington. Both of them. Well...only 1 left. The one in Lincoln Square closed. I used to love going there but not any more since its posted 06 & 07. :totap:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

joe817 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:55 pm
oljames3 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:51 pm
They are here in Arlington. Both of them. Well...only 1 left. The one in Lincoln Square closed. I used to love going there but not any more since its posted 06 & 07. :totap:
:iagree:
Same. I avoid 30.06 unless absolutely neccessary and 30.07 as much as I can.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “Off-Topic”