New to CCW

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
MediocreMexican
Posts in topic: 1

New to CCW

Post by MediocreMexican »

I have recently received my LTC and am like most new people to the CCW life, a little lost with all the possibilities and combinations of guns and holsters and belts and carry positioning and body build type and on and on.... I Live in the Garland area and am looking for someone that has lots of experience with CCW and would not mind meeting up in irl so I can pick their brain and maybe they also have the "Box full of holsters they don't use" that everyone talks about that I could try out and get hands on with and see what would possibly work best for me. I am 5'4'' and about 150 lbs if that helps since I know body type has quite a bit to do with the comfort/conceal-ability of it. I am also new to this forum and was sent from someone on reddit. Figure I would try my luck here as it is the TexasCHLForum :txflag: Also I do already have a S&P shield 9mm and a concealment express kydex holster i got with a Blue Alpha gear low pro belt. It works ok but still have not found a position I like. Just got a Gen4 Glock 19 and really want to get to the point where I can carry AIWB with something like a T-rex side car or Tier 1 Axis slim, but as I dont have a lot of money just lying around to spend on a bunch of holster really hope someone here can help a fellow LTC holder out. Man someone really needs to open up a store all about CCW life so people can come in and try things out. Feel like there is a business idea there some how.... anyways i digress.... Thanks for any help.

omegaman

Re: New to CCW

Post by omegaman »

Welcome to the forum. I don't live anywhere near Garland so I can't help you in that respect. In time, you will find what's comfortable to you.
Congrats on your LTC.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

The reason there are so many options, is that like most things in life, everyone has their own preference. Personally, I never found an IWB holster I liked, but I carry a full size M&P. I carry, OWB at the 3-3:30 position OC about 90% of the time. I too don't live near Garland, but what works for you will depend, not only on your body type, but clothing style, what activities you will performing while carrying. Standing, sitting, driving, etc. Will all dictate the best all around carry method for you. The main thing is that whatever method you choose, you need to be able to access, it quickly, from various positions, including from the ground. Once you have settled, on a carry position, or positions, practice, practice, practice. In a stressful situation, your draw should be well enough ingrained, that you don't have to think about it. It should be muscle memory.

Good luck, most of us do have a drawer full of holsters, maybe, someone near you will chime in, and you can get a chance to try out what didn't work for them.

We also have a breakfast meet up in Frisco, on the second Saturday of the month. It would be a great opportunity to meet other members, and pick their brains. Though some of us have slim pickings left. :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Welcome to the forum, fellow Redditeer! You mentioned on Reddit that you were familiar with Warrior Poet Society. John Lovell has several videos on his YouTube channel discussing AIWB in general and the Tier 1 in particular. John Correia of Active Self Protection also carries appendix and has videos.

As Jusme said, I also carry an S&W M&P. Mine is M2.0 9mm 5inch. I want to carry a pistol having a long sight radius and 15+ capacity. This choice puts limits on how easily I can cover (not really conceal) my pistol. As with Jusme, my primary mode of carry is openly. Safariland 7TS ALS at 3 on a Kore Essentials leather gun belt.

My father carries his M&P M2.0 Compact 9mm 4inch in a Safariland 7TS ALS at 3, but usually covers it with a jacket. My youngest brother carries his M&P M2.0 Shield (with Crimson Trace) 9mm IWB in a Blade-Tec at 3. My 22-year-old son carries his M&P M2.0 Compact 9mm 4inch in a Bravo Concealment DOS IWB when he is concealing, and in a Safariland ALS drop leg holster when he is carrying openly.

I know two firearms instructors who each carry their M&P M2.0 Compact 9mm 4inch in a Raven Concealment Morrigan holster at 3.

There are several threads here that discuss the carrying lifestyle in general. Poke around and you will find many discussions of carrying and the law that will be beneficial.

If you can make it to the Frisco meet up, you will find folks who will be happy to help.

Again, welcome!
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Welcome to the forum. You've chosen a couple of fine pistols, and I understand your comment "not found a position" that you like. Having the extra weight on your belt and the stiffness of a good holster attached to your waist feels funny and odd at first. Give it some time. I also carry a shield on many days, but I am more comfortable with a leather holster than the hard kydex. DeSantis makes a good custom fit leather holster for the shield. You might want to try one.

Holsters are kind of like shoes. Very few people pick the same thing. I wear nothing but boots, but that's not everyone's preference. My only advice to you is to carry, whenever you can, until the feeling of the gun becomes so normal that you feel something is wrong when it's not there. If you wear a watch all the time you know how your arm feels odd when it's not there? If you don't wear a watch ever, you know how your arm feels odd when you put on a watch? Wearing a gun is the same way. Once you find what is comfortable and wear it a lot, you will feel something is missing when it's not there.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I got lucky and bought a combo of a BELTMAN belt and a Crossbreed Supertuck from the get go. They fit like a glove for me. 6’ 180 lbs. buy a 35” waist Wrangler instead of 34”. I personally prefer CC, but OC is very acceptable. Just try to find a comfortable combo without breaking the bank. Thanks

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

MediocreMexican:

Welcome to the board. Choosing your firearms is usually the easy part. You have 2 good ones. Choosing holsters is more vexing.

Whatever you carry, it starts out heavy, but the gun get lighter all the time as you carry on a regular basis.

As an active member of the Dallas area forum breakfast, I cordially invite you to join us the 2nd Saturday of each month.
Time: 800 AM until many hours of conversation later.
Site : Rudy's BBQ, Dallas Parkway, Frisco (northbound side, between Main St. and Eldorado Parkway).
Open carry is fine. 2 breakfast burritos and endless coffee will only run you about $7.50.

The horrendously loud ice machine only interrupts when I am speaking. (Inside joke) :-)

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

First, WELCOME! to the OP.

I carry a G19 AIWB in a JMCK wing claw 2.0. Best holster for me, in 20 years of carrying AIWB.

If you ever find yourself heading to the north side of Fort Worth, I'd be happy to grab a coffee and talk carry options.

Check out the AIWB thread at pistol-forum.com.
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php ... dix-Carry)
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Check out the Bravo concealment Torsion 3.0 holster. Comes with a free mag pouch and is made it Alamo Texas. Super quick shipping and very good quality. I paid 39$ on a sale they had. Adjustable retention and can carry anywhere in the waist band. It’s designed to conceal very well especially aiwb. I carry a sig P365 90% of the time. I was carrying a shield for a long time. And prior to that a Glock 19. Still have both but the sig has won the new spot. I am not near you otherwise I’d let you try my holster on. Good luck!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

MediocreMexican wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:51 am I have recently received my LTC and am like most new people to the CCW life, a little lost with all the possibilities and combinations of guns and holsters and belts and carry positioning and body build type and on and on.... I Live in the Garland area and am looking for someone that has lots of experience with CCW and would not mind meeting up in irl so I can pick their brain and maybe they also have the "Box full of holsters they don't use" that everyone talks about that I could try out and get hands on with and see what would possibly work best for me. I am 5'4'' and about 150 lbs if that helps since I know body type has quite a bit to do with the comfort/conceal-ability of it. I am also new to this forum and was sent from someone on reddit. Figure I would try my luck here as it is the TexasCHLForum :txflag: Also I do already have a S&P shield 9mm and a concealment express kydex holster i got with a Blue Alpha gear low pro belt. It works ok but still have not found a position I like. Just got a Gen4 Glock 19 and really want to get to the point where I can carry AIWB with something like a T-rex side car or Tier 1 Axis slim, but as I dont have a lot of money just lying around to spend on a bunch of holster really hope someone here can help a fellow LTC holder out. Man someone really needs to open up a store all about CCW life so people can come in and try things out. Feel like there is a business idea there some how.... anyways i digress.... Thanks for any help.
Welcome to the forum.

If you want to carry AIWB, check out CYA Supply: https://www.cyasupply.com/collections/c ... wb-holster, $37.74. I have this holster for a G19, and one for a G26. I have another one exactly like it that my son made for me, to fit a G43. They work great, they’re adjustable for cant, and they’re cheap—in price, but not in quality. They are very well made for what they are.

That said, although this kind of holster is very comfortable for my G26 and G43, I personally find a G19 to be at the outer limits of AIWB comfort. It’s just fine as long as I’m standing, but it noticeably digs into my thigh whenever I sit down. The G19 is just a tad too long for me to sit comfortably for long. I’m 5'10", or 6" taller than you are, so you might find it even more uncomfortable to sit with a G19 carried AIWB than I do. However, with the adjustable cant, you can easily shift the holster closer to your hip to sit down if necessary. But this is the main reason that I usually carry my G19 in a shoulder holster, or on my OWB on my hip in a belt holster. I DO have a drawer full of holsters you’d be welcome to try, but I am left handed, and I I live way over in NRH, so too far to be convenient for either of us.

BTW, there is a CYA model for your shield, to carry if AIWB if you want: https://www.cyasupply.com/collections/c ... lack-right. It carries the same $37.74 price of the G19 model.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

Welcome to the forum! I also live (and work) in Garland and have a drawer full of holsters. Unfortunately none that would work for your guns. I did want to suggest that at the Garland Bass Pro and the Garland Academy stores have both let me "try" the holster to make sure it work before I bought it. You have to take it to the gun counter and explain your situation, but I have never been told no. Neither carries a very wide selection to chose from though. :banghead: Hope this helps.
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Seanzky

Post by Seanzky »

I have a Shield, too, which I no longer carry because I also have a Glock which has taken its place. Both I carried/carry AIWB using Tier 1 Concealed holsters. I'm about 5-9 or 5-10 and 175 lbs with a gut but I find AIWB the most comfortable and the most concealable carry position. I used to carry 4 o'clock but I decided to just jump on the appendix bandwagon and it has worked out for me perfectly. In fact, I'm thinking of getting another T1C holster for my M&P M2.0 Compact.

Ignore the way the Shield is arranged in that photo. I took that pic to sell/trade it.
Attachments
IMG_20200123_170531 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20200123_170521 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20191230_130118 (Medium).jpg
--Sean

Return to “New to CHL?”