El Paso Walmart Shooting

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

philip964
Posts in topic: 15

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

Post by philip964 »

txbirddog wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:09 pm While we constitute a large number that support and commit to carrying, we are only a group of <4% of the population. So if there were 200 (arbitrary number) in Walmart at the time of shooting, there would have been approximately 8 with an LTC. Given, unfortunately, that all who have an LTC, carry on a consistent basis, there may have been, let’s say 5 that were actually armed and of those 5, 3 who were trained and maybe then 1 who would actually engage the shooter.

So even in Texas the odds favor the evil amongst us. This is why it’s SO important to talk others into our fold and even more for us to CARRY EVERYDAY AND EVERYWHERE.
I agree. Carrying is now a duty.

Your math does not count the location. Many may have not been allow to carry.

narcissist
Posts in topic: 1

Post by narcissist »

Sounds really suspicious to me, conspiracy maybe? You never know what the left will do to complete their agenda. It seams like in most of these cases it's either suicide or suicide by cop. Just giving up is weird, maybe he got paid for this? I will say I feel bad for the family's of their loved ones!
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 11

Post by carlson1 »

txbirddog wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:09 pm While we constitute a large number that support and commit to carrying, we are only a group of <4% of the population. So if there were 200 (arbitrary number) in Walmart at the time of shooting, there would have been approximately 8 with an LTC. Given, unfortunately, that all who have an LTC, carry on a consistent basis, there may have been, let’s say 5 that were actually armed and of those 5, 3 who were trained and maybe then 1 who would actually engage the shooter.

So even in Texas the odds favor the evil amongst us. This is why it’s SO important to talk others into our fold and even more for us to CARRY EVERYDAY AND EVERYWHERE.
:iagree: Great thought. As mentioned above with people running and falling you would to be petty close to make a for sure shot. Last week slim Arlington an Officer shot and killed the woman who he was doing a welfare check on trying to shoot a dog he considered was charging him.

bbhack
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bbhack »

El Paso county has 2.9% of the state population. The county with the least new LTCs per capita in 2017 is Maverick (0.27%). The most is Borden co with 5.5% per capita. Borden co has 673 residents.

El Paso is on the low end at 0.46% new LTCs per capita. This pattern goes back to 2012, when I stopped looking. If they were on the mean, it would be 2.9%. It appears El Paso is lightly armed. Their 0.46% per capita represents about 1.5% for all Texas.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Oldgringo »

Hypothetical test question: You're legally carrying, with your SO on a shopping outing, and you hear gunfire within the store, what do you THINK you would do?

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

Oldgringo wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:48 pm Hypothetical test question: You're legally carrying, with your SO on a shopping outing, and you hear gunfire within the store, what do you THINK you would do?
I have heard that no one knows if he can run to gunfire until he has done it. I know what I hope I would do. I will be looking at upgrading my carry.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 26

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Oldgringo wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:48 pm Hypothetical test question: You're legally carrying, with your SO on a shopping outing, and you hear gunfire within the store, what do you THINK you would do?
My loved ones are with me? I ascertain where the shots are coming from and move my family in the opposite direction. I would attempt to find concealment for them and then remain ready to fire if the threat came into my zone.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Liberty »

I've got a good woman, she does have some mobility issues. I'm getting too old to break in another. I'll fight to the death to protect her, but the Run, Hide and Fight model seems pretty sane when you're with someone you love.

I don't like the odds of my 13rnd 9mm 2.5 inch barrel against an AK47.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:07 pm
My loved ones are with me? I ascertain where the shots are coming from and move my family in the opposite direction. I would attempt to find concealment for them and then remain ready to fire if the threat came into my zone.
This is what I would do. Best would be get them out of the store. There isn't much cover in a store that can't be penetrated by an AK round.

Do we have any way of knowing the demographic of how many of our LTCs are of hispanic decent?
N5PNZ

oljames3
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oljames3 »

Liberty wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:01 am I've got a good woman, she does have some mobility issues. I'm getting too old to break in another. I'll fight to the death to protect her, but the Run, Hide and Fight model seems pretty sane when you're with someone you love.

I don't like the odds of my 13rnd 9mm 2.5 inch barrel against an AK47.
:iagree: My M&P M2.0 9mm 5inch carries 17+1 with 32 more on my belt. Don't like those odds either. For 34 years, my mission was to ride to the sound of the guns. No more. I'm retired and disabled. Unless directly confronted by the evil threat, my priority is to get my loved ones and myself home safely. If I can help others along the way, I will.

There is little cover from pistol fire inside a Walmart. There is even less cover from rifle fire.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

I’m younger, able and usually carry. My weapon is to protect myself and my family. If i can stop the threat when it starts, so be it. But in this situation, I’ll take my family away from the shooting and hunker down, weapon drawn defensively.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

So even in Texas the odds favor the evil among us. This is why it’s SO important to talk others into our fold and even more for us to CARRY EVERYDAY AND EVERYWHERE.
Having an LTC does not obligate you to seek and destroy the killer. Like several have mentioned, they would secure themselves and their family and cover the egress. If they can gather up people on the way, then even better. There is no shame in that and is a sound tactical move. If you don't know the location of the shooter(s) and aren't very familiar with the floor plan of the location then heading into the fire without armor and a rifle may not be the wisest move . I also suspect that if the LTC is in the same immediate area the killer is in then they are more likely to engage as they are immediately threatened and understand the situation at hand.

What must happen for us, as a society, to severally curtail these events is to have a much higher percentage of LTCs so when the guy walks in and open fires 3 or 4 individuals in the immediate area draw and hit him with 12 rounds. It's no different than the thinking behind Run, Hide, Fight and similar training. Overpower him with numbers. If 3 or 4 pistol wielders shot him at the first sign then these evil people would think twice about their actions. It would be over almost as fast as it began. There likely would be casualties but I venture the numbers would be a lot less. As a result I see the instances of mass shootings declining.

Undoubtedly this is a societal issue and one we must address but we need to meet this evil with firepower in the meantime.

(There's a lot more to it than this but I'm already late to work. You get the basic drift)
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Please read this article. It is worth your time
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

imkopaka
Posts in topic: 12

Post by imkopaka »

Wife and I would both have guns drawn. Kids would daisy chain holding hands with mom so she still has a gun in the fight. I take point, moving as far from the shooter(s) as possible toward the nearest exit. Once the family is safe, reassess the situation to see if I have enough of an advantage to win a gun fight against the shooter(s) and potentially save the lives of others. If so, engage, eliminate, and move to first aid on the victims. If not, extricate and provide the best possible intel to first responders - potentially even staying in the store and providing intel via phone so they have eyes inside.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chasfm11 »

Beiruty wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:22 am Please read this article. It is worth your time
Great article. Thanks for sharing it.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “The Crime Blotter”