P365 ms or S&W shield 2.0

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 11

P365 ms or S&W shield 2.0

Post by Tex1961 »

My carry gun died today. Ruger LC9s. Just stopped firing. I don’t know why and I’ll probably have to send off to ruger to fix. But I won’t carry it after this. So I’m trying to decide between the sig or smith. Both have pro’s and con’s, my issue is $375.00 for the smith or $550.00 for the sig. but since my decision Is for my EDC, price isn’t the biggest concern.
Last edited by Tex1961 on Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 4

Re: P365 ms or S&W shield 2.0

Post by Grayling813 »

Tex1961 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:44 pm My carry gun died today. Ruger LC9s. Just stopped firing. I don’t know why and I’ll probably have to send off to ruger to fix. But I won’t carry it after this. So I’m trying to decide between the sig or smith. Both have pro’s and con’s, my biggest issue is $275.00 for the smith or $550.00 for the sig. but since my decision I’d for my EDC, price isn’t the biggest concern.
Where’d you find a Shield 2.0 for $275?

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Grayling813 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:53 pm
Tex1961 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:44 pm My carry gun died today. Ruger LC9s. Just stopped firing. I don’t know why and I’ll probably have to send off to ruger to fix. But I won’t carry it after this. So I’m trying to decide between the sig or smith. Both have pro’s and con’s, my biggest issue is $275.00 for the smith or $550.00 for the sig. but since my decision I’d for my EDC, price isn’t the biggest concern.
Apologies, it was a typo. I corrected it to $375.00

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

For, me the most important qualities of an EDC are trust and reliability. The Sig has had some reported issues. I wouldn't trust it. What bothers me though is your Ruger died. An EDC failure should be an extremely rare thing.

I wouldn't want either one as an EDC. It's a personal thing and only you can decide what's best for you.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oljames3 »

Tex1961 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:44 pm My carry gun died today. Ruger LC9s. Just stopped firing. I don’t know why and I’ll probably have to send off to ruger to fix. But I won’t carry it after this. So I’m trying to decide between the sig or smith. Both have pro’s and con’s, my issue is $375.00 for the smith or $550.00 for the sig. but since my decision Is for my EDC, price isn’t the biggest concern.
Having a pistol that fits your hand is a very important consideration. My youngest brother carries an S&W M&P M2.0 Shield 9mm, because it fits his hands. You will have to decide which pistol fits your hands best and which you can operate/carry best.

My father carries an S&W M&P M2.0 Compact 9mm 4inch. This is the pistol I buy for my sons when the turn 21.

Here is a side-by-side size comparison of the Sig and the M&P.
https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/smi ... sauer-p365

GrabAGun is selling the M&P for $379.
https://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesson-m ... -4-fs.html
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Grayling813 »

Tex1961 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:57 pm
Grayling813 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:53 pm
Apologies, it was a typo. I corrected it to $375.00
Thought I was missing out on a super deal somewhere!
I have a couple of Shields, the newest a 4” Performance Center 2.0.
I know several people who have bought the Sig P365 and love it. I’ve held one and dry fired it in gun store, haven’t shot one yet cause I figure if I do I’ll buy it!
From what I have read Sig has fixed the issues they had after the initial release. The increased capacity of the 365 is a huge advantage over the Shield. Additionally, the 365 comes with night sights while the base model Shield does not.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

oljames3 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:51 am

Here is a side-by-side size comparison of the Sig and the M&P.
https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/smi ... sauer-p365
Very kewl and useful site !
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Liberty wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:37 am For, me the most important qualities of an EDC are trust and reliability. The Sig has had some reported issues. I wouldn't trust it. What bothers me though is your Ruger died. An EDC failure should be an extremely rare thing.

I wouldn't want either one as an EDC. It's a personal thing and only you can decide what's best for you.
I'm looking at the 365 MS (Manual safety), so it's their newest model and my understanding is that the issues have been worked out with the 365 platform...

I carry with one in the pipe and no safety engaged, However.. I prefer to have one when I am holstering.... That's me and I won't change that...

I know both have a good track record so I'd be comfortable with either... I have handled and shot both of them at the range.. Both handled well but the 365 did seem to have a little less felt recoil than the shield.... And the 365 holds more rounds (and I don't carry a spare mag).

My Ruger LC9s, has been carried for the past 2 years... I doubt I have more than 300 rounds through it.. It has been cleaned and checked after every single range visit and I clean it monthly whether I've shot it our not.... I fired it about 2 weeks ago with no issues, home, cleaned, reloaded and back in the holster.... Took it out yesterday at the range and "INSERT CRICKET SOUND HERE". Nothing.. Trigger depressed like it should but nothing engaged. I did everything I could think of to check without breaking it down at the range and could NOT get it to fire... I'm going to break it down this morning and see if I can find any obvious issues with it... But my confidence has been shaken with this pistol so even after I get it fixed, I won't carry it......

I'm leaning towards the Sig, but I would be comfortable with either.....

Mel

Post by Mel »

I carried a S&W M&P .40 for a couple of years. I found the S&W to be too heavy. I have "no" hips and had a difficult time keeping it up.
I now carry a Sig P938 and love it. Just one example.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

Try to shoot them both and see which works better for you. I swear by my 9mm Shield 1.0. I can shoot it well and it fits my hand perfectly. I've thought about the 365 due to the increased capacity (especially the past few days) and they seem to have their gremlins worked out but I shoot the Shield so well I haven't been motivated enough to try the Sig yet.
Psalm 91:2

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

SQLGeek wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:22 am Try to shoot them both and see which works better for you. I swear by my 9mm Shield 1.0. I can shoot it well and it fits my hand perfectly. I've thought about the 365 due to the increased capacity (especially the past few days) and they seem to have their gremlins worked out but I shoot the Shield so well I haven't been motivated enough to try the Sig yet.
I know..... Hard decision for sure....One of my shooting buddies has the Shield 2.0 with safety and I had a chance to shoot it a couple of weeks ago.. I immediately liked it a lot better than my Ruger... But then yesterday another shooting buddy had his 365 and I got to shoot it.... 15 minutes later I started to practice with my Ruger and NOTHING.... In my mind I can't go wrong with either platform as they both appeal to me.... Again only differences that I can see is...

1. 365 - more capacity and less felt recoil (at least for me)
2. Shield - $200.00 bucks cheaper.....

But again... What's 200 dollars when it comes to your self protection....

Looking over my own post... It does seem as though I am leaning towards the 365...... I think I'll run up to the store and hold both of them again... Side by side..... That will make my final decision for me....

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Just got a quote from GrabAgun.com.... $488.00 for the Sig P365 MS, so only a little over $100.00 more than the Shield.... I think my decision is made...... Now to order my Alien Gear shell for it....

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

FWIW, I own a shield. It's cheap and it works.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Lena

Post by Lena »

Had both the 365 only 4 days but 250 rounds all good I just did not shoot it as well as my 45 cal Shield, yet carry a Glock 32 daily and cant break the habit, it works!
Stay Safe

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

I have and like both. Here’s my take:

For belt carry inside or out the Shield wins every time.

For pocket carry the P365 can’t be beat for great capacity in a 9mm platform that disappears in a proper pocket holster.

My P365 is recently manufactured and has the new more robust striker tip Sig developed to fix breakage issues with earlier versions, but it’s still a MIM part. MIM is OK for things like thumb safeties but is a no-go for me in fire control and impact parts. I laid out the extra $100 to get a forged stainless steel replacement from Brownells for peace of mind.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”