P365 ms or S&W shield 2.0

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 11

Re: P365 ms or S&W shield 2.0

Post by Tex1961 »

Excaliber wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:39 am I have and like both. Here’s my take:

For belt carry inside or out the Shield wins every time.

For pocket carry the P365 can’t be beat for great capacity in a 9mm platform that disappears in a proper pocket holster.

My P365 is recently manufactured and has the new more robust striker tip Sig developed to fix breakage issues with earlier versions, but it’s still a MIM part. MIM is OK for things like thumb safeties but is a no-go for me in fire control and impact parts. I laid out the extra $100 to get a forged stainless steel replacement from Brownells for peace of mind.
Dang you... I was leaning towards the Sig... But I'm IWB and carry sensitive... IE my pants keep falling.... I've seen issues with MIM firing pins breaking before on other guns and I didn't realize that the SIG employed that style.... Even though as you said, the new ones are stronger, that's still an issue for me.. I'd rather not have to order a replacement upgrade....

extremist
Posts in topic: 1

Post by extremist »

If you are asking for opinions, mine is to recommend the P365MS over the Shield.

I carry my P365 non MS every day.
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

extremist wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:05 am If you are asking for opinions, mine is to recommend the P365MS over the Shield.

I carry my P365 non MS every day.
I am... And have had some excellent responses..... I'm just gobsmacked that my Ruger LC9s stopped working.... Was fine then "poof" nothing.... I am royalty irritated about that... What I considered a quality proven model to go out like that after only 300 or so rounds AND not in the middle of firing... I'm sure mine was one of those 1 in a thousand that have a catastrophic failure but that's enough for me to avoid the Ruger LC series for a carry gun.... I broke it down this morning.... I can't find any obvious problems with it... Firing pin looks good, firing pin channel is clean and clear, trigger, etc all look good.... I'll get it repaired and put up for sale cheap....

I'm still on the fence between the Sig and SW.... I am weight sensitive, but demand a safety for holstering.. (That's just me) and I won't compromise on that.... I"m also a Lefty so the Sig with the ambi safety has it's appeal and of course 10 rounds......

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

For what it’s worth, although the Sig is gaining in popularity, the S&W has a longer track record of reliability. I tend to be a late adopter when it comes to new gun models. The one time I violated my own rule, I bought an early example of an XDS 45, and ended up having to send it in with the recall. I forget what the exact warrantee turnaround time was, but it was on the order of at least a month or two. When I bought my G43, they had already been out for a while, and there wasn’t a significant numbers of reported issues. IOW, it functioned with typical Glock reliability. But I realize that Glocks aren’t for everyone, and that guns like the P365 have a larger capacity. I believe that the Shield's capacity is also higher than the G43's. I’ve made my investment, and I’m all Glock all the time anyway. But if I had to make a choice today between either the Sig or the Shield, I’d pick the Shield. If I had to make that decision two years from now, it might be different.

But I tend to advise against being an early adopter when it comes to firearms. I don’t know if that rule still applies to the 365, but I’ll always pick track record over novelty.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

I have not ever had a shield but did own an m&p 40 compact for years; it was a good gun. I never really cared for the trigger on the m&p although I felt it was not as terrible as some made it out to be. My FIL has a shield and it is very similar in feel and shooting characteristics to my old compact.
I’ve basically got one of everything and very often I carry my p365. I’ve shot it a lot and run it pretty hard. It is an accurate and seemingly tough little sucker. I love the hand fit and really love the capacity for its size. It makes many of my other “compact” weapons seem a bit lazy from an engineering point of view.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

DECISION MADE AND PURCHASED

Thanks everyone. Even though you made it hard to decide... Great arguments on both sides.... It came down to going to Academy... They had the P365, The Shield 1.0 and 2.0.

It came down to ergonomics plain and simple... What felt best in my hand and easy to draw..... Interestingly enough, the M&P 1.0 felt the best to me... The 2.0 was too aggressive and small as well as the P365 was just a bit to small for my hands to get a good grip on....

The price was pretty decent... I could have saved $20.00 if I ordered online, but they had the 1.0 marked down on sale..... Worth it to have a carry gun back in my holster... Well... Will be as soon as the new holster arrives......

Thank you again to everyone who took the time to respond. Did I mention how P.O'd I was at Ruger.... Emailed this morning, so far no response back.... Doesn't matter really... I'll send off for repair and then sell.....

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Grayling813 »

Tex1961 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:16 pm DECISION MADE AND PURCHASED

Thanks everyone. Even though you made it hard to decide... Great arguments on both sides.... It came down to going to Academy... They had the P365, The Shield 1.0 and 2.0.

It came down to ergonomics plain and simple... What felt best in my hand and easy to draw..... Interestingly enough, the M&P 1.0 felt the best to me... The 2.0 was too aggressive and small as well as the P365 was just a bit to small for my hands to get a good grip on....

The price was pretty decent... I could have saved $20.00 if I ordered online, but they had the 1.0 marked down on sale..... Worth it to have a carry gun back in my holster... Well... Will be as soon as the new holster arrives......

Thank you again to everyone who took the time to respond. Did I mention how P.O'd I was at Ruger.... Emailed this morning, so far no response back.... Doesn't matter really... I'll send off for repair and then sell.....
You can always put the money saved into a better trigger on that 1.0. Good choice.

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Grayling813 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:23 pm
Tex1961 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:16 pm DECISION MADE AND PURCHASED

You can always put the money saved into a better trigger on that 1.0. Good choice.
Thanks,

Maybe I'm wrong, but in a real defensive situation I doubt I'll even know what the trigger feels like.... Adrenaline pumping, tunnel vision, shaking...

Granted, I like a decent trigger which admittedly the 1.0 is ok.. Not great... ok.... I've had worse.... I'm also hesitant to mod a carry gun... In my humble opinion you can invite trouble by messing around with the internals.... I'm sure I'm wrong and that's ok....

Did I mention that I'm P.O'd at Ruger :nono:

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Grayling813 »

Tex1961 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:32 pm
You may have mentioned that at some point! :biggrinjester:

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

The LC9 has a reputation for being pretty reliable. I'm not crazy about Ruger's current crop of centerfired handguns, but reliability has never been a real concern. Ruger does have good service, send it in, and I am sure they will fix it. Please let us know what they found wrong with it. I admit though, I would be pretty upset if this happened to me.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Liberty wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:15 pm
The LC9 has a reputation for being pretty reliable. I'm not crazy about Ruger's current crop of centerfired handguns, but reliability has never been a real concern. Ruger does have good service, send it in, and I am sure they will fix it. Please let us know what they found wrong with it. I admit though, I would be pretty upset if this happened to me.
I know... I have owned Ruger's going on 40 years and never have had any issues... So to say I was surprised was an understatement..... I'm on the security team at my church... Sunday morning I was Usher, and door security.... I shudder to realize that I would have been better armed with a Sunday bulletin.. I could have at least given a bad guy a paper cut.... Or maybe used my LC9 as a paper weight and thrown it at him.... Ruger mailed back and told me to call the CS number which I will do in the morning.... I will report back as soon as the problem is resolved....

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

The Shield 1.0 trigger will smooth out with use. Mine is stock and while I have thought about putting an Apex trigger in it, I haven't been motivated to do so yet.
Psalm 91:2

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

I bought a Ruger LC9s a few years ago for a lighter weight carry gun, while test firing it before using as my EDC the magazine would literally fall out. At first I thought it was me but it wasn't. Back to Ruger and they replaced the frame. I just don't trust it for an EDC. I had a Ruger SR40 and it was 100% reliable and a good shooter, gave it to a nephew. I have an M&P 9s, 100% reliable and will eat any ammo brand. Good gun.

I also found the Sig P365 a bit small but my P365XL is perfect for me so that's my carry gun (at least for now.) :thumbs2:
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Caliber

Post by Caliber »

I have a P365 (born this year) and a M&P Shield 45 PC. Both shoot very well, never had any problems with either one, and I like both of them. When I carry, it's hard not choosing the increased capacity of the P365, so I carry it more often. However, psychologically, I like the feel of the larger 45.

I don't pocket carry the P365, I use a Ruger LCP.

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I've got 107 rounds downrange so far. 100 ball and 7 Hornady CD..... The first 50 ball and HCD had no issues..... I started quick double taps on the second box of 50... Had two stove pipes.. I also did have 2 failure to go into battery on first round after loading the mag... That's an easy fix.... Took it home... Cleaned everything up, lubercated everything and have left the slide open for 2 days to keep the spring compressed.... I plan on going out tomorrow to get another 100 - 150 rounds down range... I won't carry it until I'm 100% comfortable with it's performance.... My holster hasn't arrived yet anyway so not in any hurry to carry the Shield... My BUG has been 100% reliable so I'll just carry it for another week....

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”