El Paso Walmart Shooting

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 26

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I am thinking if the cops showed up at an active shooter scene and you were standing there with a gun in your hand they would likely shoot you before you could say much.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Oldgringo »

jb2012 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:11 pm
Lynyrd wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:04 pm
Terry wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:24 pm 1. The first responders wouldn't know me from a bad guy. 

This is really scary and honestly it would probably determine my actions barring protecting my family or myself from the shooter.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

This is the number one reason for caution and thinking as an LTC holder. I will do everything I can to save the innocent from violent psychopaths. But a good guy in Alabama was shot by LEO because they didn't know he was chasing the shooter.
That’s definitely not the only time, and definitely not the last time that will happen. It’s a risk that we take every time we carry. Notifying the authorities of your location, physical discription, and full cooperation upon arrival can mitigate much of this risk.
First, you have to get to the authorities without getting shot by them. Remember, this may be their first time, too.

jb2012
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jb2012 »

Oldgringo wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:39 pm
First, you have to get to the authorities without getting shot by them. Remember, this may be their first time, too.
Sure, but hopefully you have the diligence to stand down at the first glimpse of law enforcement. If not, hopefully you or someone near you is able to relay your description to dispatch. If that still fails and you are alone and engaged in a firefight as law enforcement arrives, that’s a risk you’ll have to decide if you’re willing to take.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

jb2012 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:43 pm
Sure, but hopefully you have the diligence to stand down at the first glimpse of law enforcement. If not, hopefully you or someone near you is able to relay your description to dispatch. If that still fails and you are alone and engaged in a firefight as law enforcement arrives, that’s a risk you’ll have to decide if you’re willing to take.
:totap: You reckon?

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 26

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I am sure we have all heard the old, what if another LTC saw you with the gun and thought you were the shooter. Truthfully, anything you do has some risk factor. Including being shot down by the guy with the rifle. That is part of why having a concealed weapon is such a heavy responsibility.

jb2012
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jb2012 »

Oldgringo wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:09 pm
jb2012 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:43 pm
:totap: You reckon?
I may just reckon twice if you’re not careful! :lol::

imkopaka
Posts in topic: 12

Post by imkopaka »

Oldgringo wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:19 pm
imkopaka wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:05 pm
Oldgringo wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:59 pm
Oldgringo wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:48 am
Greybeard wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:46 am Quote: "I've been in Walmarts all over Texars and have never seen a TABC blue sign." Then you have not been to the stores in Lewisville and Highland Village. And/or have not paid much attention in the foyers.
Correct on al counts. I'll look around the next time I go to WALMART.
I was in the big Walmart on 110 in Tyler today and saw NO TABC sign at the entrance.
Then either they are not posting the legally required signs, or you missed it. TABC website says that location has a blue gun sign. See screenshot below:

They should have the following sign posted in English and Spanish:

Hmmm, since it doesn't apply to me, I may have just ignored it, you reckon? :headscratch
Never said it did - but it did apply to the El Paso shooter!
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:29 pm I am thinking if the cops showed up at an active shooter scene and you were standing there with a gun in your hand they would likely shoot you before you could say much.
I can envision a shootout between well intentioned CHL's. :eek6

The Marshal
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Marshal »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:29 pm I am thinking if the cops showed up at an active shooter scene and you were standing there with a gun in your hand they would likely shoot you before you could say much.
There was a man named Glen Oakley that was at the El Paso mall. When the shooting started he DREW his weapon, and tried to move to safety. However he saw several abandoned children, so he moved to them and tried to get them to safety. It says that he did encounter a LEO who wanted to know WHY HE HAD A GUN but who did not shoot Glen. So your test case came out better than you thought!

Glen is being praised for his actions.

https://www.indy100.com/article/el-paso ... us-9038491

Liberty
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Liberty »

The Marshal wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:51 am
There was a man named Glen Oakley that was at the El Paso mall. When the shooting started he DREW his weapon, and tried to move to safety. However he saw several abandoned children, so he moved to them and tried to get them to safety. It says that he did encounter a LEO who wanted to know WHY HE HAD A GUN but who did not shoot Glen. So your test case came out better than you thought!

Glen is being praised for his actions.

https://www.indy100.com/article/el-paso ... us-9038491
He did good. The shooting was at Walmart, not in the mall, although he didn't know that. Getting the children out safely among a panicked crowd and giving them protection was an excellent decision.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

rotor
Posts in topic: 6

Post by rotor »

imkopaka wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:30 am
Oldgringo wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:19 pm
imkopaka wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:05 pm
Oldgringo wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:59 pm
Oldgringo wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:48 am
Greybeard wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:46 am Quote: "I've been in Walmarts all over Texars and have never seen a TABC blue sign." Then you have not been to the stores in Lewisville and Highland Village. And/or have not paid much attention in the foyers.
Correct on al counts. I'll look around the next time I go to WALMART.
I was in the big Walmart on 110 in Tyler today and saw NO TABC sign at the entrance.
Then either they are not posting the legally required signs, or you missed it. TABC website says that location has a blue gun sign. See screenshot below:

They should have the following sign posted in English and Spanish:

Hmmm, since it doesn't apply to me, I may have just ignored it, you reckon? :headscratch
Never said it did - but it did apply to the El Paso shooter!
I believe the TABC sign refers to handguns, NOT long guns.

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Post by joe817 »

rotor wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:11 am

The TABC sign does not distinguish between long guns and handguns. Only "weapons".
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

rotor

Post by rotor »

joe817 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:27 am
rotor wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:11 am

The TABC sign does not distinguish between long guns and handguns. Only "weapons".
I refer you to.
https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/laws/other/TABCRules.pdf

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Image This is the sign I see at most Wal-Mart locations and other locations that sell bottled alcohol for off-premises consumption.

rotor

Post by rotor »

TABC signs refers to weapons but long gum is not a weapon.
Correct web site.
https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/laws/other ... sGuide.pdf

Return to “The Crime Blotter”