M&P Shield 1st Round FTF Malfunction

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
BSHII
Posts in topic: 3

M&P Shield 1st Round FTF Malfunction

Post by BSHII »

I had a couple unusual malfunctions at the range yesterday, and I wondered if anyone else had experienced it or had any thoughts:

I was shooting my M&P Shield 9mm (not 2.0). It has the Apex Duty trigger/spring kit, though I don't think that has anything to do with this malfunction. I'd say it has about 600-800 rounds through it total. Original recoil spring.

Shooting 147 gr Federal HSTs, the pistol failed to feed the first round of two separate 8-round magazines, after I thumbed the slide release. The cartridge was partially stripped from the magazine and the nose was stuck against the feed ramp. I could only clear it by pulling the slide to the rear and dropping the magazine. The magazine dropped with the partially-stripped cartridge still in it. I re-seated the cartridge, re-inserted the mag, and pulled and released the slide, and it loaded the first round normally. The rest of the magazine functioned normally. Then it happened again with a later magazine.

This happened late in the session. Prior, I had put 150 rounds of 115gr Federal Premium Syntech round-nose and about 20 rounds of 147gr HSTs. The pistol was last shot about 3 months ago, after which it was field-stripped, cleaned, and lubed. Those were the only malfunctions of the day, and I am pretty sure, the only malfunctions I have ever experienced with this pistol. Prior to this session I'd say I put 50 rounds of HSTs through it before without malfunction.

This gives me a bit of concern, because this is one of my two primary carry guns and my primary carry ammo in this gun, and it's a pretty serious malfunction requiring a magazine drop to clear. The only good news is that it would only be relevant in a life-or-death situation in the very unlikely event I have to do a combat mag change. Any thoughts on what could have caused it?

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 1

Re: M&P Shield 1st Round FTF Malfunction

Post by Grayling813 »

I have probably 2000 rounds through Shields, never experienced what you describe. However, I never use the slide stop to release the slide, I always pull back on the slide to release it.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

BSHII, are you using the S&W magazines that came with the pistol? Have you modified the magazines?
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
BSHII

Post by BSHII »

oljames3 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:29 pm BSHII, are you using the S&W magazines that came with the pistol? Have you modified the magazines?
Yes, all S&W factory mags--one 7 round and one 8 round that came with the pistol, and two 8 rounds that I received from S&W through a mail-in promo. I have not modified or disassembled the magazines--I just give the follower a wipe-down when cleaning.

Topic author
BSHII

Post by BSHII »

Grayling813 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:23 pm I have probably 2000 rounds through Shields, never experienced what you describe. However, I never use the slide stop to release the slide, I always pull back on the slide to release it.
I've thought about that. I've always used the slide stop method, but the pull method does give the slide a little more momentum as long as it is done right. That may be a reason to switch. However, a modern pistol should not have any problems feeding factory ammo out of factory magazines using the slide release.

striker55

Post by striker55 »

I had feeding problems, after calling S&W they had me send it to them. They polished the feed ramp. Got it back and still had a problem, talked to S&W tech and he told me to disassemble the magazines and clean the inside with Rem Oil. Cleaning the mags not lubing the mags with Rem Oil helped. The oil has silicone in it. Good luck, very frustrating knowing you want to carry and can't trust it. I've put a couple thousand rounds so far with no misfeeds.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

BSHII wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:41 pm
Grayling813 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:23 pm I have probably 2000 rounds through Shields, never experienced what you describe. However, I never use the slide stop to release the slide, I always pull back on the slide to release it.
I've thought about that. I've always used the slide stop method, but the pull method does give the slide a little more momentum as long as it is done right. That may be a reason to switch. However, a modern pistol should not have any problems feeding factory ammo out of factory magazines using the slide release.
However, a modern pistol should not have any problems feeding factory ammo out of factory magazines using the slide release.
While it might be true that "a modern pistol should not have any problems feeding factory ammo out of factory magazines using the slide release", S&W M&P pistols do not have a slide release. The Shield Safety and Instruction Manual says this about loading the pistol "Pull the slide to the rear and release it, allowing it to carry fully forward. This strips a cartridge from the magazine and seats it in the chamber of the barrel."
https://snwcdnprod.azureedge.net/sites/ ... 102517.pdf
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

rotor

Post by rotor »

S&W manual under “loading “ says to pull the slide back vs using slide lock. I personally always use slingshot routine and not slide lock. Seems that slingshot technique more closely resembles actual firing of gun. Some guns may instruct using slide lock as slide release. Go with the manual.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

I almost always use the slide stop to drop the slide on my 9mm Shield and have never had a problem. I rarely shoot 147s though and my carry ammo is Winchester 115gr SXZ.

This isn't the first time I've read about issues with the 147 HSTs in a Shield.

It stinks to have to change but you may want to consider something with a slimmer bullet profile.
Psalm 91:2

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

I have the exact same Shield and Apex kit. I think it is a combination of a dirty feed ramp and the 147 gr round on the dirty feed ramp. I would try to duplicate the FTF by shooting a bunch of white box followed by the 147s. After it FTF, wipe down the feed ramp and see if it then feeds. A buddy of mine also has the same Shield, but he never cleans it. Had the same issue with 115 gr ammo at the range. I field stripped it, wiped down the ramp and the oiled the slide a little for him and that fixed it.
Side note: After our range session, I had the honor of taking his Shield home and giving it a through cleaning, so no good deed goes unpunished sometimes, LOL!
Anyway, worth a try.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”