Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

What would YOU do?

Post by Oldgringo »

Hypothetical question:

You, your SO and maybe your spawn, are in your neighborhood Walmart on a Saturday afternoon looking for bird feed, kitty litter, and some snackers, mixers, etc. Suddenly, you hear what you perceive to be gunshots! You are legally carrying your fully loaded, cocked and locked .45 cal louden boomer.

What do you do?
Last edited by Oldgringo on Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What would YOU do?

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

In the absence of any tactical information beyond "you hear (maybe) gunshots?", my first order of business would be to insure me and mine don't get trampled by the resulting panicked stampede.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Well, it sounds like I’m in the garden section, so I make sure the coast is clear and take my family out through the garden area back door.

WERE NOT LAW ENFORCEMENT.

I’m not Rambo either. My job is to protect myself and my family. If that is done by hi tailing it out of there Then I’ve done my job.

Nickgibson72

Post by Nickgibson72 »

Ya I have to agree with Tex1961 here. My main priority is to get my family to safety, so I am heading for the nearest safe exit. The only way I am engaging a potential threat is if that threat is between my family and our exit.

hondo44
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by hondo44 »

Oldgringo wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:12 pm Hypothetical question:

You, your SO and maybe your spawn, are in your neighborhood Walmart on a Saturday afternoon looking for bird feed, kitty litter, and some snackers, mixers, etc. Suddenly, you hear what you perceive to be gunshots! You are legally carrying your fully loaded, cocked and locked .45 cal louden boomer.

What do you do?
I would direct my wife and children to the nearest exit, then immediately proceed toward the sound of the shots. After closing within 50 meters I would engage the target(s), mostly with suppressive fire, to allow others to exit safely under cover.
Chinese SKS, Yugo SKS, Romanian AK-74, Mossberg 500, Hi-Point 9mm carbine, Colt 2000 IWB

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

hondo44 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:48 pm

What do you do?
I would direct my wife and children to the nearest exit, then immediately proceed toward the sound of the shots. After closing within 50 meters I would engage the target(s), mostly with suppressive fire, to allow others to exit safely under cover.
50 yards and suppressive fire with a 1911? :smilelol5:

I on the other hand would be violating the grand Texas tradition of respect for property rights by open carrying my NFA registered belt fed M249 in Walmart contrary to the wishes of their shareholders (other than me) as expressed by their lily livered CEO. After setting it down on some bags of peat moss from the garden section, I would begin firing short controlled 5-10 round bursts toward the sound of the perp. Granted I was trained (by Marines) some 33 years ago on the larger M60, but I’m still a pretty good machine gunner with squad automatic weapon. After fishing a couple flash bangs and smoke grenades out of my go bag, I’d toss one smoker and one flashbang about 5 seconds apart. I’d then run in a zig zag pattern toward the perp, carrying at least one of my ammo cases of linked 5.56 (M855 and tracer mix). After a good string of 25-50rd long bursts from the SAW, I’d pull out my suppressed SIG P226 and pump a few 147gr HP slugs into the bad guy. I’d then begin filling out the paperwork for the NFA registered grenades that I tossed (technically classified as destructive devices) in order to get them out of the registry. Only then would I head over to the beer case and pick up a couple 24pz 14% Steel Reserve Malt liquors or maybe one or two OE 800 40’s and risk a class B misdemeanor for consuming alcohol in an off premises permitted location. While waiting for the meat wagon to show up, I’d pull out my CHL Badge and Permit Holder lanyard and put it on to let the first responders know I am a state certified good guy! :???:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

ScottDLS wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:53 pm

What do you do?

I on the other hand would be violating the grand Texas tradition of respect for property rights by open carrying my NFA registered belt fed M249 in Walmart contrary to the wishes of their shareholders (other than me) as expressed by their lily livered CEO. After setting it down on some bags of peat moss from the garden section, I would begin firing short controlled 5-10 round bursts toward the sound of the perp. Granted I was trained (by Marines) some 33 years ago on the larger M60, but I’m still a pretty good machine gunner with squad automatic weapon. After fishing a couple flash bangs and smoke grenades out of my go bag, I’d toss one smoker and one flashbang about 5 seconds apart. I’d then run in a zig zag pattern toward the perp, carrying at least one of my ammo cases of linked 5.56 (M855 and tracer mix). After a good string of 25-50rd long bursts from the SAW, I’d pull out my suppressed SIG P226 and pump a few 147gr HP slugs into the bad guy. I’d then begin filling out the paperwork for the NFA registered grenades that I tossed (technically classified as destructive devices) in order to get them out of the registry. Only then would I head over to the beer case and pick up a couple 24pz 14% Steel Reserve Malt liquors or maybe one or two OE 800 40’s and risk a class B misdemeanor for consuming alcohol in an off premises permitted location. While waiting for the meat wagon to show up, I’d pull out my CHL Badge and Permit Holder lanyard and put it on to let the first responders know I am a state certified good guy! :???:
This right here is what I call greatness. I almost busted my gut laughing reading this. :smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5:

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

AndyC wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:50 am
Oldgringo wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:12 pm What do you do?
Head towards the sound of the gunfire.
:iagree: My consious would not allow otherwise

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

What do you do?

I think your stand off use of a 105 utilizing beehive rounds would be a better option!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

crazy2medic wrote: I think your stand off use of a 105 utilizing beehive rounds would be a better option!
Do I hear the words of another tanker on here?!?
If so, only you will understand the conversation rattling around in my head:

Me: Gunner - Beehive - Crunchies!
Gunner: (utters my second favorite words in the tanker’s dialect). Cannot identify!
Loader: Up!
Me: (using my favorite phrase). From my position...
Pause...
Me: On the way!
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

hondo44 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:48 pm After closing within 50 meters I would engage the target(s), mostly with suppressive fire, to allow others to exit safely under cover.
From 150 feet away you would pray and spray, hoping that none of your rounds strikes an innocent citizen?
How often do you practice with a pistol from 50 meters?
What’s your hit on target ratio at that range? Against a moving target?
What’s the difference between the perpetrator’s careless bullet that kills a child and yours?
You understand that you will be held responsible for every bullet that leaves your barrel?

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

What do you do?

Okay, I now have to clean the coffee from my computer screen.

To answer the question though, my first objective would be to see to my families safety, either by finding a way to get them out or finding good cover. I would then try to become as good of a witness as I could. If the perp came close enough, I would probably confront him/her (politically correctness) with a round CM, but in no way am I going to try to shoot him/her with my 1911 from 50 yards away. This ain't the movies and I ain't Clint Eastwood.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

What do you do?
Suppressive fire. At 50 meters. In a crowded Walmart? That looks suspiciously like an active shooter to law enforcement and those shots will have a million dollar legal bill attached to them when they hit an innocent bystander instead of the VCA. :shock:

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Seek exit from the vicinity for my party by using cover/concealment wherever possible and transiting open spaces as quickly and low-profile as possible, being ready to engage with the shooter at any point along the way. Assist others along the way where possible. My duty is to my loved ones first and foremost.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”