What would YOU do?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 2

Re: What would YOU do?

Post by Vol Texan »

Sounds more like a hoplophobe posing as a nut on a gun forum, projecting his vision of the rest of us on this topic.

On a few other threads, this same new user been accused of being a troll, and this is another hint in favor that idea.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LTUME1978 »

It is hard to say what one would do and what shot he may take until they are in that situation. If one takes a Response to Active Shooter Class (I have been in two by different instructors) you will have to do long distance shooting. One class (KR Training) had us shooting at an 18 X 24 inch steel plate. We started at 25 yards and worked our way back to 70 yards and got hits all the way. The other class (CSAT) had us shooting at a smaller target (6X13 inch steel plate) at 65 yards (length of the long hall in the shoot house). I did not hit that one every time but the misses were just off the edge.

If you can't hit a silhouette target at 50 yards, some practice is in order. I realize that no one was shooting back but it is doubtful that the active shooter would know you are shooting at them unless you hit them. We learned (in the class with KR Training) that there was an off duty LEO in the shooting in gay bar in Florida and the LEO emptied two magazines trying to hit the active shooter with no success. The active shooter never knew that anyone was shooting at him.

I know, easy to say as I have not been shot at but if you don't prepare, you surely won't be able to take action to stop an active shooter.

You can launch your grenades now.

IlliniBill

Post by IlliniBill »

Head towards the exit. If I have an open shot at the active shooter then I will take it. Otherwise, I'm leaving. I carry a gun to protect myself and my family, not to be John Wayne. The unarmed customers in the Walmart have made a conscious choice to outsource their personal safety to the police department. I will let the cops take care of them.

Note, the above response applies to Walmart. If it happens at a church or school, I will stand and fight.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

IlliniBill wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:20 am Head towards the exit. If I have an open shot at the active shooter then I will take it. Otherwise, I'm leaving. I carry a gun to protect myself and my family, not to be John Wayne. The unarmed customers in the Walmart have made a conscious choice to outsource their personal safety to the police department. I will let the cops take care of them.

Note, the above response applies to Walmart. If it happens at a church or school, I will stand and fight.
Pretty much my thinking. If family is nearby, they are the priority, unless it's a school shooting.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

oljames3
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oljames3 »

My responsibilities are to my extended family who rely on me for their livelihood.

Ridding to the sound of the guns was my profession. My mission has changed to the safety of myself, my loved ones, and those for whom I have accepted responsibility. I applaud those who would seek out an active killer. I am no longer that man.

I am certified by the DPS in School Safety (active killer), having completed the DPS course at KR Training. I compete in USPSA and other matches. I practice regularly to get A-Zone hits at 25 yards. I will be attending Active Self Protection's Survive the Fight/Church Safety training October 5-6, in Lubbock. I have the skills and training to take out an active killer. That is not my mission.

If I am in an active killer situation, my plan is to get myself and mine to safety as quickly as possible. If the active killer interferes, then I am Kathy Jackson's cornered cat.
Last edited by oljames3 on Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Vol Texan wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:13 am
crazy2medic wrote: I think your stand off use of a 105 utilizing beehive rounds would be a better option!
Do I hear the words of another tanker on here?!?
If so, only you will understand the conversation rattling around in my head:

Me: Gunner - Beehive - Crunchies!
Gunner: (utters my second favorite words in the tanker’s dialect). Cannot identify!
Loader: Up!
Me: (using my favorite phrase). From my position...
Pause...
Me: On the way!
Lol, never in the military, but I know stuff others don't, 22yrs in the fire dept. and my fellow firefighters would tell me "you know stuff that scares the heck out of me" but yes I know the what your saying! I laugh at the term crunchies
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

ELB

Post by ELB »

Move mine to safety, and if I get a chance to shoot the perpetrator, take it.
USAF 1982-2005

JRG

Post by JRG »

IlliniBill wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:20 am Head towards the exit. If I have an open shot at the active shooter then I will take it. Otherwise, I'm leaving. I carry a gun to protect myself and my family, not to be John Wayne. The unarmed customers in the Walmart have made a conscious choice to outsource their personal safety to the police department. I will let the cops take care of them.

:iagree:

Joe

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

I'm still wondering why we are at a walmart.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

suthdj wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:27 pm I'm still wondering why we are at a walmart.
:iagree:

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

Oldgringo wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:12 pm Hypothetical question:

You, your SO and maybe your spawn, are in your neighborhood Walmart on a Saturday afternoon looking for bird feed, kitty litter, and some snackers, mixers, etc. Suddenly, you hear what you perceive to be gunshots! You are legally carrying your fully loaded, cocked and locked .45 cal louden boomer.

What do you do?
Even though they changed their rules on open carry I would still try to find the attacker, while telling my family to leave to the vehicle and leave to saftey. In no way shape or form am I trying to be a :Hero" just trying to do what's right in my eyes. Mainly if it's a mass idiot shooter, END the threat!!!
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Call an air strike? AC-130 maybe? Or maybe a “bazooka”. A light antitank weapon is not a firearm, it’s a destructive device under the 1968 update of the 1934 NFA. They are hard to get, but you could legally carry past a 30.06/7 sign. The US M72 LAW is nice but has the disadvantage of being single use. There are supposedly a lot of surplus RPG-7s around and if you could get some HE or frag rockets for them they could be useful in taking on a Walmart whacko killer. At 50 yards or so, (I refuse to use Jacobite metric units). I’d send a HE round or two downrange. Better to take out a couple civilians along with the perp than let him hijack a right hand drive mail Jeep and go on a spree shooting in violation of Postal reg 39 CFR 232. :rules:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

ScottDLS wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:24 pm Call an air strike? AC-130 maybe? Or maybe a “bazooka”. A light antitank weapon is not a firearm, it’s a destructive device under the 1968 update of the 1934 NFA. They are hard to get, but you could legally carry past a 30.06/7 sign. The US M72 LAW is nice but has the disadvantage of being single use. There are supposedly a lot of surplus RPG-7s around and if you could get some HE or frag rockets for them they could be useful in taking on a Walmart whacko killer. At 50 yards or so, (I refuse to use Jacobite metric units). I’d send a HE round or two downrange. Better to take out a couple civilians along with the perp than let him hijack a right hand drive mail Jeep and go on a spree shooting in violation of Postal reg 39 CFR 232. :rules:
Sir, I have a friend who's Army Infantry. I am certain he would 100% approve of the way you would (hypothetically) handle the situation! :biggrinjester:

bulletslap

Post by bulletslap »

AndyC wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:58 am
LTUME1978 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:02 am If one takes a Response to Active Shooter Class (I have been in two by different instructors) you will have to do long distance shooting. One class (KR Training) had us shooting at an 18 X 24 inch steel plate. We started at 25 yards and worked our way back to 70 yards and got hits all the way.
Agreed. This is what it looks like, by the way:

If I recall correctly you were the last man standing in that exercise, and was I next to last out ? I truly can't remember.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”