"We may have to shoot down this airplane"

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
howdy
Posts in topic: 2

"We may have to shoot down this airplane"

Post by howdy »

This is an article that popped up on my FB page. It really brings home what transpired on 9-11. I was flying that day as an MD-88 Captain with Delta. I was enroute to DFW and ATC never told us what was happening. We knew something was going on by the radio transmissions from ATC but we thought there might have been an accident at DFW. We were not getting our usual instructions. This article is about the command structure in Washington DC and the military. Very informative.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... rpt-228001
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Re: "We may have to shoot down this airplane"

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

howdy wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:30 pm This is an article that popped up on my FB page. It really brings home what transpired on 9-11. I was flying that day as an MD-88 Captain with Delta. I was enroute to DFW and ATC never told us what was happening. We knew something was going on by the radio transmissions from ATC but we thought there might have been an accident at DFW. We were not getting our usual instructions. This article is about the command structure in Washington DC and the military. Very informative.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... rpt-228001
We were having a company meeting in my home that morning to get ready for a trade show. One of my employees comes in and tells us a private plane crashed into the world trade center. He had heard it on his radio. We turned on the TV and were all saying how crazy it was that a private plane would do that when the second plane hit. Everyone, at least ten of us, just sat there stunned. My only words were, holy crap guys, this was no accident. That was one very long morning. We did our trade show that weekend but market hall was a ghost town. Everyone was afraid to go anywhere. I sat in that booth all weekend in defiance of a bunch of terrorists trying to turn my life upside down. There was a part of me hoping they would try something to give me an excuse to take my revenge.

03Lightningrocks

By the way. There is a special on Natgeotv right now about 9/11. Watching it just pisses me off all over again.

philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Post by philip964 »

The little bit I read was riveting.

The confusion I had that day til the second plane hit was minor to what was happening elsewhere.

It points to the advantage a surprise attack has.

The disadvantage good guys have in an event.

And how easy it is to second guess someone who is thrust into a situation, they didn’t ask for, after the dust settles.

Topic author
howdy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by howdy »

Read it to the end when the fighter pilots were told they would have to ram the airliner because they were not carrying weapons. They both willingly took off with every expectation of doing just that.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Just ordered the book. Thanks [abbreviated profanity deleted] posting.

03Lightningrocks

howdy wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:22 pm Read it to the end when the fighter pilots were told they would have to ram the airliner because they were not carrying weapons. They both willingly took off with every expectation of doing just that.
It is hard to read it all without getting emotional. For those of us old enough to understand what was going on, it had to have left scars. I was too old to join the military but I sure wanted to so I could get some payback. I remember thinking, this must have been how Americans felt when the Japs attacked Pearl Harbor.

baseballguy2001

Post by baseballguy2001 »

What frustrates me, almost 20 years later, young Americans are still fighting in the same country the attacks were allegedly planned. Is there any evidence of progress? Is there any evidence of a 'win'? With our technology, our satellites, we know where the terrorist camps are, we should use every tool in the shed and obliterate every camp simultaneously. Drones, conventionally armed cruise missiles, iron bombs, the works. Forget hearts and minds, defeat these clowns once and for all and make them come to us begging for terms. Bomb them all at once, every day for a month and see what happens.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:46 pm
howdy wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:22 pm Read it to the end when the fighter pilots were told they would have to ram the airliner because they were not carrying weapons. They both willingly took off with every expectation of doing just that.
It is hard to read it all without getting emotional. For those of us old enough to understand what was going on, it had to have left scars. I was too old to join the military but I sure wanted to so I could get some payback. I remember thinking, this must have been how Americans felt when the Japs attacked Pearl Harbor.
I tryed joining up also at the time the attacks took place but due to body mass index they turned me away.

At 5ft10 but 210lbs of (muscle) six pack ect. Was running three miles a day and in great shape, even scored a 72 on the asvab. Still to this day will never understand why they would turn away a guy that could pass basic training in a hearbeat?

Also a person who had been around guns since a child and we'll trained with them I might add. They should of took the B.M.I by way of Hydrostatic Weighing or similar types not just Height by how much they think you should weight? Or I'm wrong :confused5
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

Return to “Off-Topic”