Lubbock man charged with making false statement to obtain firearm

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Lubbock man charged with making false statement to obtain firearm

Post by oljames3 »

KCBD August 2, 2019 at 4:43 PM CDT - Updated August 6 at 3:04 AM
Arrested in August.
https://www.kcbd.com/2019/08/02/lubbock ... ms-dealer/

KCBD Digital | September 13, 2019 at 5:09 PM CDT - Updated September 13 at 5:33 PM
Lubbock man who threatened mass shooting charged with making false statement to obtain firearm.
https://www.kcbd.com/2019/09/13/lubbock ... n-firearm/
An agent with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) outlined the charges in an affidavit filed in support of the criminal complaint back in July.

The federal charges center around 19-year-old William Patrick Williams providing a false address to Cabela’s when he bought a firearm back on July 11.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Lubbock man charged with making false statement to obtain firearm

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I bet there are others who have given an old address so it matches their drivers license address on that form. Unless something like this happens, nobody is ever the wiser. There is no way I can think of for an FFL to verify people aren't doing this. Thank goodness his relatives got involved before he created another incident. That is the last darned thing we need right now.

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TreyHouston »

17 loaded magazines. Geez THANK GOD the situation went as smoothly as it did. Grandma saved some lives that day! Great job
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

He had to have also lied on the psych question, IIRC, no?
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

RoyGBiv wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:20 pm He had to have also lied on the psych question, IIRC, no?
That depends on what the meaning of "adjudicated a mental defective" is... ;-)
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

So once my buddy who was told by the gun shop that his DL. didnt match his new address due to not being updated yet.

So the gun shop threw away the old form and told him to write down the address on the Drivers License in order to sell the firearm.

No other white lies but this is kinda worry some, gotta let him know about this.

ATF must be bored going that in depth but maybe just in this case in since he lied multiple-times on the form so hopefully my buddy is going to be ok.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

03Lightningrocks

narcissist wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:44 pm So once my buddy who was told by the gun shop that his DL. didnt match his new address due to not being updated yet.

So the gun shop threw away the old form and told him to write down the address on the Drivers License in order to sell the firearm.

No other white lies but this is kinda worry some, gotta let him know about this.

ATF must be bored going that in depth but maybe just in this case in since he lied multiple-times on the form so hopefully my buddy is going to be ok.
I think that is a huge no no for that FFL dealer. I am pretty sure he could get in trouble for that. Maybe not but I can tell you that after purchasing many firearms since the new law, every FFL I went to would not let that happen. There is one place I have purchased firearms that I have watched refuse to sell to a husband/wife team or boyfriend girlfriend team if it looked like one was picking the gun and the other was doing the paperwork.

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:53 pm
narcissist wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:44 pm So once my buddy who was told by the gun shop that his DL. didnt match his new address due to not being updated yet.

I think that is a huge no no for that FFL dealer. I am pretty sure he could get in trouble for that. Maybe not but I can tell you that after purchasing many firearms since the new law, every FFL I went to would not let that happen. There is one place I have purchased firearms that I have watched refuse to sell to a husband/wife team or boyfriend girlfriend team if it looked like one was picking the gun and the other was doing the paperwork.
No doubt about what you stated, I witnessed the whole event go down but would never rat out the dealer or possibly get my friend in Any trouble at all.

As far as what you stated about one person looking at one gun and the other putting it in their name. This happened to myself I was helping my wife buy her first pistol (Springfield xd 9mm) years ago. They thought she was just buying it for myself instead of me going over the gun with her in extreme detail.

So they denied the sell altogether ( Different Gun Dealer ) lol. Ended up going down the road and bought the gun but this time she picked it out all alone.

Kinda strange when the people are married seams like common sense would kick in but im forgetting people now days don't have much of that anymore.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

03Lightningrocks

narcissist wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:47 pm
No doubt about what you stated, I witnessed the whole event go down but would never rat out the dealer or possibly get my friend in Any trouble at all.

As far as what you stated about one person looking at one gun and the other putting it in their name. This happened to myself I was helping my wife buy her first pistol (Springfield xd 9mm) years ago. They thought she was just buying it for myself instead of me going over the gun with her in extreme detail.

So they denied the sell altogether ( Different Gun Dealer ) lol. Ended up going down the road and bought the gun but this time she picked it out all alone.

Kinda strange when the people are married seams like common sense would kick in but im forgetting people now days don't have much of that anymore.
I wouldn't give the name out either. I think some of them are very concerned with straw purchases. I have seen them do that to son/father duo's as well. I am like you on this one. But they are concerned about losing their FFL so they don't allow room for abstract thinking. Last time I bought a gun from a place called bullet trap here in Plano, They even made me spell out anything I abbreviated. Like state or even Jr at the end of my name. I wanted to scream. LOL

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

TreyHouston wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:55 pm 17 loaded magazines. Geez THANK GOD the situation went as smoothly as it did. Grandma saved some lives that day! Great job
Are you being sarcastic? I have 3 times that many loaded AR mags. Get 10 of them free with case of ammo sometimes and hate seeing them unloaded.

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

rm9792 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:28 pm
TreyHouston wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:55 pm 17 loaded magazines. Geez THANK GOD the situation went as smoothly as it did. Grandma saved some lives that day! Great job
Are you being sarcastic? I have 3 times that many loaded AR mags. Get 10 of them free with case of ammo sometimes and hate seeing them unloaded.
I didn't read that as sarcasm at all. I don't believe its the number of loaded magazines that he's expressing relief over, but rather the stated intent of a chronically mentally ill person to commit a mass shooting, as part of his suicide-by-cop, that was disrupted by a family member who took action to prevent it.

The dozens of loaded/unloaded magazines at my house, your house, or any other sane, law abiding person isn't a concern. At least that's how I read his intent.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Mike S wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:23 pm
I didn't read that as sarcasm at all. I don't believe its the number of loaded magazines that he's expressing relief over, but rather the stated intent of a chronically mentally ill person to commit a mass shooting, as part of his suicide-by-cop, that was disrupted by a family member who took action to prevent it.

The dozens of loaded/unloaded magazines at my house, your house, or any other sane, law abiding person isn't a concern. At least that's how I read his intent.
No sarcasm. He was in the hotel room of a hotel he told that he was going to shoot up.
Don’t say your going to shoot something up and come prepared to do so with the mentality to do it.
1+1+1=3 here
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

It's all about context.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

Thank goodness for his Grandmother.

03Lightningrocks

DynamicDan wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:36 pm Thank goodness for his Grandmother.
I agree. Her actions may very well have saved many lives, along with saving his.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”