20 ga slugs

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
bbhack
Posts in topic: 2

20 ga slugs

Post by bbhack »

Anyone shoot 20 ga slugs with a smooth bore? Is there a difference between a smooth and rifled bore for 50 yard shooting? I don't own either one yet.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Re: 20 ga slugs

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Not with a 20 gauge, but have shot 12 gauge slugs out to 50-60 yards with surprising accuracy, from an unrifled cylinder-bore Mossberg 590A1. There are YouTube videos of people hitting well out past 100-150 yards with 12 gauge slugs, with "minute of man" accuracy. I don’t see why a 20 gauge wouldn’t be as accurate....if a bit down on power from a 12 gauge.

Mind you, when I say "accurate", I’m talking about practical accuracy, not precision accuracy. I was shooting at a 2/3 scale IPSC steel silhouette target, and hitting it pretty consistently. If you hit someone in the thorax or abdomen with a 1-oz lead slug traveling well in excess of 1000 FPS, it’s going to be almost irrelevant whether you hit them in the upper right or lower left quadrant. I’ve never used a shotgun for hunting, other than during dove season, but I would imagine that a slug from a 12 or 20 gauge would pretty much anchor a deer or a hog as long as it hit anywhere in the vitals.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Never tried from a smooth bore. I bought a Savage 220 (bolt action, rifled, detachable mag, slug gun) last year I need to get sighted in. Supposedly with the 3” sabots it will group well out to 200 yards.

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 1

Post by crazy2medic »

I have Ithaca 20ga. that I have put slugs through several times, it's not match grade but I could put a slug in a deer's chest at a hundred yards with the improved cylinder barrel that's on it!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:10 pm Not with a 20 gauge, but have shot 12 gauge slugs out to 50-60 yards with surprising accuracy, from an unrifled cylinder-bore Mossberg 590A1. There are YouTube videos of people hitting well out past 100-150 yards with 12 gauge slugs, with "minute of man" accuracy. I don’t see why a 20 gauge wouldn’t be as accurate....if a bit down on power from a 12 gauge.

Mind you, when I say "accurate", I’m talking about practical accuracy, not precision accuracy. I was shooting at a 2/3 scale IPSC steel silhouette target, and hitting it pretty consistently. If you hit someone in the thorax or abdomen with a 1-oz lead slug traveling well in excess of 1000 FPS, it’s going to be almost irrelevant whether you hit them in the upper right or lower left quadrant. I’ve never used a shotgun for hunting, other than during dove season, but I would imagine that a slug from a 12 or 20 gauge would pretty much anchor a deer or a hog as long as it hit anywhere in the vitals.
Same here ive only used the 12 gauge slugs but like ( The Annoyed Man ) stated the accuracy is pretty consistent imo impressive. He is right on the money about this subject.

Great round for whitetail or wild piggys, as far as 20 gauge I see not much point when the recoil is almost the same but totally understand you use what you have. I think you will still have great luck with that 20 gauge though. Good luck!
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

Daddio-on-patio

Post by Daddio-on-patio »

I bought a Mossberg 20g rifled slug gun for my son, when he was a boy, over 10 years ago. Fixed powered scope, Hornady sabots, 4" groups at 100 yards with light wind (I'm no dead ringer). Kicked like a mule till I bolted on a Limb Saver recoil pad. Bought a smooth bore from a local parts guru for birding. Solid as far as I am concerned.
Ephesians 6:12 NKJV

12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Topic author
bbhack
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bbhack »

Thanks all for the information.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

The Annoyed Man

bbhack wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:55 pm Anyone shoot 20 ga slugs with a smooth bore? Is there a difference between a smooth and rifled bore for 50 yard shooting? I don't own either one yet.
It sometimes pays to reread the OP!

Narcissist referred briefly to this, but the difference in recoil between 12 and 20 gauge is negligible. I’ve been told before that this is because 20 gauge is a higher pressure shell than a 12 gauge, so while 12 gauge recoil could be described as "stout", 20 gauge recoil could be described as "sharp". I have a 12 gauge O/U and my wife has a 20 gauge O/U that we use for skeet. Neither is what I would call unpleasant to shoot, but there is also not much difference between shooting the two.

Given that, you might want to consider a 12 gauge.....and maybe some "low recoil" am for it if someone else is going to use it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:47 pm
bbhack wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:55 pm Anyone shoot 20 ga slugs with a smooth bore? Is there a difference between a smooth and rifled bore for 50 yard shooting? I don't own either one yet.

Narcissist referred briefly to this, but the difference in recoil between 12 and 20 gauge is negligible. I’ve been told before that this is because 20 gauge is a higher pressure shell than a 12 gauge, so while 12 gauge recoil could be described as "stout", 20 gauge recoil could be described as "sharp". I have a 12 gauge O/U and my wife has a 20 gauge O/U that we use for skeet. Neither is what I would call unpleasant to shoot, but there is also not much difference between shooting the two.

Given that, you might want to consider a 12 gauge.....and maybe some "low recoil" am for it if someone else is going to use it.
And I read/viewed the opposite when looking for a slug gun. Multiple articles (or reviews and videos) I read stated that 12 gauge performance was not significantly more than 20 to warrant the extra recoil. Here are a couple but there are videos on YouTube and much more if you search Savage 212 vs 220.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_slug_gun.htm

https://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_212_slug_gun.htm

The Annoyed Man

mrvmax wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:22 pm

And I read/viewed the opposite when looking for a slug gun. Multiple articles (or reviews and videos) I read stated that 12 gauge performance was not significantly more than 20 to warrant the extra recoil. Here are a couple but there are videos on YouTube and much more if you search Savage 212 vs 220.

That's a pretty convincing review in favor of the 20 gauge. My limited experience between the two gauges is with O/U's, shooting bird shot, and my only experience with shotgun slugs is with rifled slugs from smoothbore barrels—the recoil of which is within my tolerance.

#TINVOWOOT

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:58 pm
mrvmax wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:22 pm

That's a pretty convincing review in favor of the 20 gauge. My limited experience between the two gauges is with O/U's, shooting bird shot, and my only experience with shotgun slugs is with rifled slugs from smoothbore barrels—the recoil of which is within my tolerance.
I had no clue but the more I looked the more people stated that so I stuck with 20. Unfortunately Savage recommends the Remington Premier Accutip 3” for best accuracy. It mentions those in the owners manual but I never read it until after I bought 2 3/4. I may try what the OP asked and take out my 870 and see how slugs do at 50 yards just out of curiosity. It will be a while before I take it out but when I do I’ll try and find this thread and post my results.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Whatever happened to 16Guage shotguns? They were very popular when I was growing up in New England. My inlaws let me use their Belgium made Browning Sweet 16 for duck and bird hunting. Beautiful gun smooth shooting.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”