we are driving to the Grand Canyon in a couple of weeks :rules:
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: going to AZ and NM

Post by Keith B »

www.handgunlaw.us is your friend.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

Both states have sizable Indian reservations and Tribal Lands. I don't know the laws, but I suspect they may be different from the typical State laws.
Some research in that area would be advisable. That's sovereign territory, not much help from the State or Federal authorities.

Edit to add: Keith B's advice above has some information on the Tribal Lands as well.
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

Weldonjr2001

Post by Weldonjr2001 »

In researching gun laws for a trip from Texas to Utah last year, in which I was to pass through portions of New Mexico and Colorado, I found that while New Mexico honors the Texas LTC, you can only carry ONE concealed handgun at a time.
So for the portion of the trip through New Mexico, I removed my pocket carried secondary handgun from the pocket holster and placed it in the center console. It went back into the pocket the second I was out of New Mexico.
Pretty petty in my opinion, but ........

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Weldonjr2001 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:59 am In researching gun laws for a trip from Texas to Utah last year, in which I was to pass through portions of New Mexico and Colorado, I found that while New Mexico honors the Texas LTC, you can only carry ONE concealed handgun at a time.
So for the portion of the trip through New Mexico, I removed my pocket carried secondary handgun from the pocket holster and placed it in the center console. It went back into the pocket the second I was out of New Mexico.
The one gun only law is a bit odd. I am not sure what they are trying to accomplish with this one.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:13 am
Weldonjr2001 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:59 am In researching gun laws for a trip from Texas to Utah last year, in which I was to pass through portions of New Mexico and Colorado, I found that while New Mexico honors the Texas LTC, you can only carry ONE concealed handgun at a time.
The one gun only law is a bit odd. I am not sure what they are trying to accomplish with this one.
If I were to guess, the idea would be that if they found ONE gun on a bad guy and removed it, they would be assured that was the only gun on him and wouldn't need to search him further. You know, because bad guys obey the law and such.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

You can always open carry your spare gun. NM is an open carry state.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

troglodyte wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:37 am You can always open carry your spare gun. NM is an open carry state.
In New Mexico, a person can carry one concealed handgun but any number of openly carried handguns.
10.8.2.16 TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF LICENSE:

A. Carrying only handguns listed on license. No person shall carry a concealed handgun of a different category or higher caliber than is indicated on the license issued to that person by the department. A licensee shall only carry one concealed handgun at any given time.
https://www.dps.nm.gov/templates/g5_hyd ... LLABLE.pdf

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-st ... -gun-laws/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Once in GCNP, you can not carry in any building where federal employees may be in presence. Additionally, the North Rim is much less crowded and less commercial than the South Rim. Just sayin'.....have a nice trip.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Oldgringo wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:23 pm Once in GCNP, you can not carry in any building where federal employees may be in presence. Additionally, the North Rim is much less crowded and less commercial than the South Rim. Just sayin'.....have a nice trip.
This is true, but on the other hand on the South Rim, they are more Handicap friendly and accessible.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”