DFW Way Out West Breakfast

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

C-dub
Posts in topic: 18

Re: DFW Way Out West Breakfast

Post by C-dub »

I can't make this one. I'll be in the lab.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Grayling813 »

I'll be in Austin area this weekend, so can't make it.

SigM4
Posts in topic: 13

Post by SigM4 »

I should be there.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Hack Job
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Hack Job »

I have to pass this month, won't be available.

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 34
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

I will be there in attendance, with a nice article w/photos of the championship TCU (Texas Christian University) shooting team.

Shooting is an NCAA sport. There are 33 teams from colleges around the US. They adhere to Olympic rules. It is a co-ed sport, but 4 of the 33 teams are 100% female, which includes the TCU team. They recently beat the US Naval Academy team. They shoot either air rifles or .22 rifles, which are very long and high-tech in appearance.

One of TCU's most competitive rivals is a West Virginia school.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Topic author
Excaliber
Posts in topic: 70

Post by Excaliber »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:22 pm I will be there in attendance, with a nice article w/photos of the championship TCU (Texas Christian University) shooting team.

Shooting is an NCAA sport. There are 33 teams from colleges around the US. They adhere to Olympic rules. It is a co-ed sport, but 4 of the 33 teams are 100% female, which includes the TCU team. They recently beat the US Naval Academy team. They shoot either air rifles or .22 rifles, which are very long and high-tech in appearance.

One of TCU's most competitive rivals is a West Virginia school.

SIA
We'll look forward to seeing that. It's looking like it'll be a smaller meeting than usual but we'll still have fun.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

strogg
Posts in topic: 20

Post by strogg »

Sorry for the relatively late response, but I will be able to attend.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

I have a "show and tell" ammo problem that I am bringing Saturday. Although Walmart is getting out of the ammo biz, my local Walmart in Hickory Creek is still well stocked with any caliber you'd ever need. OK, maybe no 2.7MM Kolibri or .41 Magnum, but all other handgun and long gun ammo.

So I loaded up the ammo wagon the other day, but the 1 thing I wanted that they didn't have at the time was .38 Special JHP. But today they had 2 boxes of Federal Premium .38 Special +P, JHP. I bought 1. It's a good thing I didn't get them both. Well, I get it home, open it up, and it appears to contain 20 rounds of defective ammo. None of the rounds have JHP's at their business end, just an empty space at the top of the round.

So, I go back to Wally World to get my ~ $25.00 back. No satisfaction was gained however, since there are no refunds on ammo.

What I did do was go back to the ammo counter and told the friendly gal with the ammo key what the problem was. I schooled the clerk on the difference between range ammo and JHP's. I had a loose proper .38 JHP to show her, and contrasted that with the bad ones I got.

She let me examine all 7 boxes of the Federal Premium JHP's that they had. These are the maroon plastic boxes that have a little viewing hole that allows you to look at 1 round of what you will be getting. Next time I will do my due diligence and make sure I am getting proper ammo.

The .380's, 9MM's, .40's, and .45's were all proper. But the lone remaining box of .38 Special +P JHP's was as faulty as the one I bought. She moved the bad box way back in the cabinet and will be alerting the department manager to the defective rounds. At least I only got screwed for $25 instead of $50.

Let the buyer beware.

SIA

Topic author
Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:27 pm I have a "show and tell" ammo problem that I am bringing Saturday. Although Walmart is getting out of the ammo biz, my local Walmart in Hickory Creek is still well stocked with any caliber you'd ever need. OK, maybe no 2.7MM Kolibri or .41 Magnum, but all other handgun and long gun ammo.

So I loaded up the ammo wagon the other day, but the 1 thing I wanted that they didn't have at the time was .38 Special JHP. But today they had 2 boxes of Federal Premium .38 Special +P, JHP. I bought 1. It's a good thing I didn't get them both. Well, I get it home, open it up, and it appears to contain 20 rounds of defective ammo. None of the rounds have JHP's at their business end, just an empty space at the top of the round.

So, I go back to Wally World to get my ~ $25.00 back. No satisfaction was gained however, since there are no refunds on ammo.

What I did do was go back to the ammo counter and told the friendly gal with the ammo key what the problem was. I schooled the clerk on the difference between range ammo and JHP's. I had a loose proper .38 JHP to show her, and contrasted that with the bad ones I got.

She let me examine all 7 boxes of the Federal Premium JHP's that they had. These are the maroon plastic boxes that have a little viewing hole that allows you to look at 1 round of what you will be getting. Next time I will do my due diligence and make sure I am getting proper ammo.

The .380's, 9MM's, .40's, and .45's were all proper. But the lone remaining box of .38 Special +P JHP's was as faulty as the one I bought. She moved the bad box way back in the cabinet and will be alerting the department manager to the defective rounds. At least I only got screwed for $25 instead of $50.

Let the buyer beware.

SIA
You shouldn't be ouy $25.

Contact Federal. Most likely they're already aware of it and will make it right.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a recall on that load in the near future.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

strogg wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:32 am Sorry for the relatively late response, but I will be able to attend.
No worries - it isn't Friday when I need to let Manny's know if we'll be having a lot of folks coming yet.
Excaliber

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Good to see everyone again this morning.

Topic author
Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Our fourth Saturday breakfast is coming up this Saturday October 26 at Manny's Cafe in Hudson Oaks.

Please let me know if you plan to attend so I can make the table arrangements.

I"m looking forward to seeing everyone again for more great conversations!
Excaliber

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Won’t make this one as daughter’s soccer game is at 8:30, y’all have a good time for me.

Hack Job
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Hack Job »

I'll be there.

surprise_i'm_armed

I will be there. Strogg has things to do, and won't make it.

SIA
Last edited by surprise_i'm_armed on Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Off-Topic”