Building an electric guitar from kit

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

kayt00
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Building an electric guitar from kit

Post by kayt00 »

That'll be a sweet little unit once it's done. I play a little and would like to get better but time vs priorities. Kits something I've wanted to do but that's also a whole nother tool set to buy. Filing frets making sure the neck is straight, fiddling with electronics, tuners, and the plethora of pickup choices. As it stands I've got a BC Rich Mockingbird, an Ibanez, and a fender acoustic to keep my plucking and strumming away. Maybe I can get to a kit when I end up with a bit more free time.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Be REAL careful and take your time when you’re dressing the frets. Taking metal off is easy, but you can’t put it back on, and nothing will wreck the intonation of a guitar like a crooked neck with worn/damaged frets.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

I’ve looked at kits, decided to continue letting Taylor build my guitars.

mayor

Post by mayor »

building an AR from an 80% is easier. tinkering with an already built musical instrument i can do, but building from 'scratch' is a waste of my time and a good kit - good luck. it looks nice.
HIJACK (shameless plug) with apologies: We play about once a month at the Hard 8 BBQ in Coppell and The Colony. check out our calendar: @salt creek band . com
now back to your regular guitar kit thread...

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Grayling813 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:26 am I’ve looked at kits, decided to continue letting Taylor build my guitars.
Ditto, except make mine L'Arrivée guitars.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

Nice

Syntyr
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Syntyr »

mayor wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:54 am building an AR from an 80% is easier. tinkering with an already built musical instrument i can do, but building from 'scratch' is a waste of my time and a good kit - good luck. it looks nice.
HIJACK (shameless plug) with apologies: We play about once a month at the Hard 8 BBQ in Coppell and The Colony. check out our calendar: @salt creek band . com
now back to your regular guitar kit thread...
:iagree:

BTDT! I have taken to buying guitars in pawn shops that look cool and then I hotrod them. New nut, bridge, tuners, strings, POTs, and pickups. I really like Rio Grand humbuckers. I picked up a Squire Bullet for $60 and rebuilt it. New Gibson pickups and swapped out all of the components. New bone nut and bridge. Adjusted the intonation and cleaned up the frets. New lighter strings. New Grover tuners. I now get nice clean sustain as good as any Gibson I have played - Studio models. I have never played a custom shop Gibson.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Syntyr
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Syntyr »

AndyC wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:06 pm She's done - tuned-up and intonation all set. Action isn't quite as low yet as I'd like but she's playable and the pickups are hot :)

Really nice looking Andy. Well done!
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Return to “Off-Topic”