AL: Clerk with own gun runs off armed robbers

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 3

AL: Clerk with own gun runs off armed robbers

Post by ELB »

USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
ELB

Re: AL: Clerk with own gun runs off armed robbers

Post by ELB »

Just the link under the video. I don't know that the clerk fired "blindly" but I don't believe he hit either of the robbers.
USAF 1982-2005

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

ELB wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:35 pm Just the link under the video. I don't know that the clerk fired "blindly" but I don't believe he hit either of the robbers.
Some folks don't understand how easy it is to miss when firing at someone with a handgun. Especially a moving target. Many times we hear of multiple shots being fired and only one shot hitting the the target. I chalk it up to TV and Movies where every shot is a dead on center of forehead hit.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WTR »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:41 pm [quote=ELB post_id=<a href="tel:1267456">1267456</a> time=<a href="tel:1571168114">1571168114</a> user_id=1811]
Just the link under the video. I don't know that the clerk fired "blindly" but I don't believe he hit either of the robbers.
Some folks don't understand how easy it is to miss when firing at someone with a handgun. Especially a moving target. Many times we hear of multiple shots being fired and only one shot hitting the the target. I chalk it up to TV and Movies where every shot is a dead on center of forehead hit.
[/quote]

I read an FBI statistic which stated that when confronted with a handgun you have a 74% chance of not being hit if you just simply run.

03Lightningrocks

WTR wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:55 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:41 pm [quote=ELB post_id=<a href="tel:1267456">1267456</a> time=<a href="tel:1571168114">1571168114</a> user_id=1811]
I read an FBI statistic which stated that when confronted with a handgun you have a 74% chance of not being hit if you just simply run.
[/quote]

I think that is one reason some experts recommend the shoot and scoot.

Mel
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mel »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:41 pm
ELB wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:35 pm Just the link under the video. I don't know that the clerk fired "blindly" but I don't believe he hit either of the robbers.
Only for the Good guys. The bad guys fire off hundreds of rounds from fully-semi automatics and never hit the Good guys.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

03Lightningrocks

Mel wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:32 pm
Only for the Good guys. The bad guys fire off hundreds of rounds from fully-semi automatics and never hit the Good guys.
And they often have self refilling magazines cause they never run out of bullets... :biggrinjester:

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

I agree with you somewhat (expecially on the Movies ) but even as a kid on deer ect. I never used windage or height adjustment with the scope on deer out to 500yds plus, as young as maybe 15 yo, somehow/someway I just knew where to hold for height and for windage. Of course now I try to and understand how to but at times instinct still kicks in Example: Rut while they are in a full run. Or while using long bows, this may not make sense to you or others unless they have this "gift" as I call it.

Of course in a person on person gun fight it may be different but im confident I'd take care of the problem.

In very extreme intense situations my brain seams to slow down time and automatically know what to do, yeah im sure most of you are saying "bull" but it's the truth.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

b4aftr

Post by b4aftr »

narcissist wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:53 pm In very extreme intense situations my brain seams to slow down time and automatically know what to do, yeah im sure most of you are saying "bull" but it's the truth.
Sorry but I got the image of the “Wanted” movie while reading that. Don’t disagree just reminded me of it.

Personally I choose to curve my shots.

03Lightningrocks

b4aftr wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:35 am
narcissist wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:53 pm In very extreme intense situations my brain seams to slow down time and automatically know what to do, yeah im sure most of you are saying "bull" but it's the truth.
Sorry but I got the image of the “Wanted” movie while reading that. Don’t disagree just reminded me of it.

Personally I choose to curve my shots.
I have been practicing that shot. It works best if I fling my gun hand out slightly and twist my wrist at the same time.

https://images.app.goo.gl/PnEoLWS92HgDKxvA9

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

WTR wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:55 pm I read an FBI statistic which stated that when confronted with a handgun you have a 74% chance of not being hit if you just simply run.
The NYPD publishes an annual report on firearm discharges by their members, used to be called "SOP 9," I don't know what the new name is. Anyway, in confrontations with others, their average hit percentage hovered around 20%. This doesn't tell you how it happened on the individual level - it could be that out of 10 gunfights with 10 rounds expended in each gunfight, two guys hit their targets with 10 rounds each and everyone else missed completely, or each gunfight had 2 rounds on target and 8 misses. But I suspect it tends more toward the latter.
USAF 1982-2005

RSX11

Post by RSX11 »

In very extreme intense situations my brain seams to slow down time and automatically know what to do, yeah im sure most of you are saying "bull" but it's the truth.
I don't doubt that you experience the sensations, but research shows that it's an illusion - it doesn't enable you to make more or faster decisions.

https://www.livescience.com/2117-time-s ... ncies.html

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WTR »

RSX11 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:00 pm
I don't doubt that you experience the sensations, but research shows that it's an illusion - it doesn't enable you to make more or faster decisions.

https://www.livescience.com/2117-time-s ... ncies.html
You may be correct. However, to cite this uncited non peer reviewed study is laughable.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

WTR wrote:
Dang..those are pretty good odds. In addition to my regular firearms practice, I'm going to dedicate some time to running in a 'serpentine fashion'. Couldn't hurt, right. Good exercise as well. ;-)
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”