Secret audio recording of Texas House Speaker released

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
NotRPB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by NotRPB »

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/polit ... a24c68b865
News of the recording led to a House committee requesting the Texas Rangers investigate whether Bonnen's offer of press credentials in exchange for Empower Texans targeting the GOP members could be considered an illegal quid pro quo.
Bonnen offered to grant Empower Texans press credentials giving the conservative organization access the floor of the Texas House if Sullivan, in turn, would campaign against those targeted GOP members in the 2020 primary.

"Let me tell you what I'll do for you," Bonnen said.

"We can make this work. I'll put your guys on the floor next session."

Beckley, who was mentioned seven times in the recording, said Tuesday the name-calling mattered less than what she believes are clear ethics violations.

"I think he needs to step down and we need a bipartisan vote on who should be the speaker right now," she said.

When asked if Bonnen should resign from elected office, Beckley said that is up to voters to decide.
read the entire article at: https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/polit ... a24c68b865

narcissist

Re: Secret audio recording of Texas House Speaker released

Post by narcissist »

Secret recordings I thought were not valid in Law/Court? Please correct me if im wrong, maybe explain how to go about it legally ect.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

narcissist wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:05 pm Secret recordings I thought were not valid in Law/Court? Please correct me if im wrong, maybe explain how to go about it legally ect.
Depends on a number of factors if I am not mistaken. Under Texas law as long as one party of a conversation is aware of the recording then it is legal, and if it was made legally then the regular rules of evidence come into play.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

narcissist wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:05 pmSecret recordings I thought were not valid in Law/Court? Please correct me if im wrong, maybe explain how to go about it legally ect.
What difference does it make whether the recordings are admissible in court or not?

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

narcissist wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:05 pm Secret recordings I thought were not valid in Law/Court? Please correct me if im wrong, maybe explain how to go about it legally ect.
What matters most is the court of voter opinion.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

anygunanywhere wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:46 am
What matters most is the court of voter opinion.
:iagree:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

warnmar10 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:45 am
narcissist wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:05 pmSecret recordings I thought were not valid in Law/Court? Please correct me if im wrong, maybe explain how to go about it legally ect.
What difference does it make whether the recordings are admissible in court or not?
Makes a big difference to Speaker Bonnen!
USAF 1982-2005

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

The one thing that matters to me the most is that this guy is NOT House Speaker next legislative Session!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

It does matter:

Texas Constitution Article 16, Section 41:

Sec. 41. BRIBERY AND SOLICITATION OR ACCEPTANCE OF BRIBES. Any person who shall, directly or indirectly, offer, give, or promise, any money or thing of value, testimonial, privilege or personal advantage, to any executive or judicial officer or member of the Legislature to influence him in the performance of any of his public or official duties, shall be guilty of bribery, and be punished in such manner as shall be provided by law. And any member of the Legislature or executive or judicial officer who shall solicit, demand or receive, or consent to receive, directly or indirectly, for himself, or for another, from any company, corporation or person, any money, appointment, employment, testimonial, reward, thing of value or employment, or of personal advantage or promise thereof, for his vote or official influence, or for withholding the same, or with any understanding, expressed or implied, that his vote or official action shall be in any way influenced thereby, or who shall solicit, demand and receive any such money or other advantage matter or thing aforesaid for another, as the consideration of his vote or official influence, in consideration of the payment or promise of such money, advantage, matter or thing to another, shall be held guilty of bribery, within the meaning of the Constitution, and shall incur the disabilities provided for said offenses, with a forfeiture of the office they may hold, and such other additional punishment as is or shall be provided by law.
Ron
NRA Member

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

It appears to me from various articles on this that Sullivan made the recording and he was the target of Bonnen's offer to give Sullivan's organization (Empower Texans) credentials in return for working against certain Republicans. In other words, the recording was made by one of the parties to the conversation, and was not illegally made.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Off-Topic”