It's time for a reminder

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

It's time for a reminder

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I've seen a small but growing number of snide posts responding to or commenting on other Members' posts. This must stop now. Please review the Forum Mission Statement and let's get everyone back to the founding concept of the Forum. This is not a request.

Chas.
Forum Mission Statement wrote:Mission Statement:

The mission of TexasCHLForum.com is to promote discussion of firearm related issues in an atmosphere that invites participation by as many people as possible. It is the Moderators' opinion that this goal can best be achieved by simply being courteous and civil to one another. This does not preclude disagreement on issues; rather it encourages thoughtful discussion. Absolutely no personal attacks will be tolerated.

Also, this is a "G" rated forum; please don't use any language (or substitutes like @#%$& or abbreviations). We want to encourage women (thus the Ladies Forum) and young people to educate themselves about lawful use of firearms, including the use of firearms in self-defense. That goal is furthered by avoiding language that many may find offensive.

Why TexasCHLForum Was Created - A History Lesson:
This board was launched because tx.guns had gotten to the point that honest discussions quickly turned into nothing more than personal attacks, often laced with profanity. When I posted a query as to whether there was any interest in the creation of a CHL forum, I was surprised at the number of emails I received. A common theme in those emails was the reluctance of many people to post questions, comments or opinions for fear that they would be attacked. So, I agreed to create Texas CHLforum and set about learning what was involved in setting up and running a bulletin board.

Since TexasCHLforum was launched in December, 2004, I've received several PMs and emails from TexasCHLforum Members expressing their gratitude for having a forum where they can post their opinions, comments and questions without being ridiculed. I too have posted my appreciation to you the members on more than one occasion. A forum or newsgroup doesn't go from a friendly and productive atmosphere to one of dissension and hostility over night, anymore than we lose or regain our Constitutional rights over night. Rather, they slowly decay amid growing insults and personal attacks. The only way I know to prevent the decline of TexasCHLforum is simply not to let the slide begin. Thankfully, you folks have done my job by not letting it happen.

I am very serious about getting more women and young people involved in TexasCHLforum. While I'd rather not read off-color language in posts, for the most part I'm not personally offended by language I see on other forums, so long as it's not part of a personal attack. However, many women are quickly turned off by foul language and will avoid what can be an excellent resource. (Also, parents will not refer their kids to a web site that allows or tolerates vulgar language.) The members represent a wealth of training, experience and expertise that can be invaluable to the ladies, but we have to make them feel welcome. Many of the members know me personally, most do not. Among those that know me, relatively few know why getting more women involved is more than a goal for me, it's a quest. So, if we guys have to refrain from using some of the more colorful language we'd use over beer and burgers, then so be it. It's for a good cause. (We can use the more descriptive language when we meet at the range and swap lies about our shooting prowess!)

I hope this helps to explain the goals for TexasCHLforum and why I believe we have to operate by a bit tighter standard.

Thanks for registering and welcome to TexasCHLForum,
Chas.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Re: It's time for a reminder

Post by oljames3 »

:iagree:
I have received more grief from those who claim to support the 2nd amendment than I have from anyone else. This forum is my safe space.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

This is the only firearms related forum I frequent. I do enjoy the atmosphere on this forum. Reminder duly noted.

DEB

Post by DEB »

oljames3 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:46 pm :iagree:
I have received more grief from those who claim to support the 2nd amendment than I have from anyone else. This forum is my safe space.
:iagree: You hit the nail on the head there Cap'n. Thanks Charles, for the reminder that this is a family friendly place that discusses very serious subjects.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Charles, thank you for reminding us what this great forum stands for. :txflag:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

Thanks Charles. Besides the usually good information from fellow members, the thing I have always liked best about this forum is the general respect and friendliness towards each other even when we disagree about issues. Most 2A forums are not as respectful and I've never understood why. There have been exceptions here but I think the forum generally deals with those issues quickly enough and I'm grateful for that and this reminder.
Ron
NRA Member

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

Sorry if I've been stepping out of line, I'll try to walk the line for now on.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

03Lightningrocks

narcissist wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:06 pm Sorry if I've been stepping out of line, I'll try to walk the line for now on.
:smilelol5: :lol:: :smilelol5:

Yeah, I kind of wondered if maybe I had offended someone as well. :biggrinjester: Being opinionated can be a blessing and a curse.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

I can be awfully blunt and forward and it’s something I have to work on personally, but I will try my best to keep it friendly on here.
If I have offended someone on here I do apologize.

imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

Duly noted, Charles
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

None of the folks that have responded are the problem.

Chas.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

You taught me that lesson years ago. I don't think I have slipped much since then.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

I hope I haven't done anything. I know I can be a little sarcastic, and that can sometimes come across as rude, but I do try to proof my comments before posting and make sure they read ok. If I've offended anyone, I apologize.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

03Lightningrocks

SewTexas wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:34 pm I hope I haven't done anything. I know I can be a little sarcastic, and that can sometimes come across as rude, but I do try to proof my comments before posting and make sure they read ok. If I've offended anyone, I apologize.
OMG! You are one of the most cordial posters of this forum. I would bet dollars to donuts he sure as heck was not referring to any of your posts. :cheers2:

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”