1911 Carry

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 3

Re: 1911 Carry

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Thanks for the info on the Summer Special guys.

flechero

Post by flechero »

stash wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:57 pm Thanks gents. I appreciate the info and will check 'em out.
Stan
As an owner and user of a VMII for 10+ years, I'll offer this- I sold my VMII and purchased the Nexus. It solved the only complaint I ever had about the VMII (not enough cant) If the Criterion had been out at that time, I would probably have bought it.

Before you buy a VMII, please look at the Criterion and Nexus. Same basic design but with a bit more cant to aid in both comfort and concealability. Criterion has a reinforced mouth, as the VMII, and the Nexus is not a reinforced mouth... a bit thinner and more concealable but mouth will compress some when gun is drawn.

Super holsters and worth the price of admission... if you don't like a Sparks holster, you can sell them very easily. There are lots of great makers but only a few that you can resell so easily.

KinnyLee
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KinnyLee »

+1 on Milt Sparks VM2. I have been using it since 2005

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

IMHO, increased forward cant us nice for concealability, but also increases the difficulty of the draw. I prefer a more straight up draw, less cant. It is quicker and easier to draw. So what if there’s a little more bulge from the grip. People don’t pay as much attention as you’d think. Dress around what you want to carry, not the other way around. My 2 cents worth. Maybe only 1.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

flechero

Post by flechero »

C-dub wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:34 pm IMHO, increased forward cant us nice for concealability, but also increases the difficulty of the draw. I prefer a more straight up draw, less cant. It is quicker and easier to draw. So what if there’s a little more bulge from the grip. People don’t pay as much attention as you’d think. Dress around what you want to carry, not the other way around. My 2 cents worth. Maybe only 1.
In my case it's quicker and easier to draw with a canted holster. I guess it all depends on your specific location- My arm and hand naturally move forward and up- matching the cant of the holster. I have to adjust to something unnatural (I have to rotate shoulders back to the gun side) to draw straight up and out... unless I'm forward of the hip point. I wear it behind the point of my hip (4-4:30 for righties) and couldn't draw straight up far enough to clear a 5" 1911 if my shoulder was normal. If I'm forward of the hip point, I have just enough range of motion to clear it.

This is a good lesson to newer LTC'ers.... it reinforces to them and the OP that we all have to do some research or practice to find our natural holster point.
:tiphat:

C-dub

Re:

Post by C-dub »

flechero wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:58 am
C-dub wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:34 pm IMHO, increased forward cant us nice for concealability, but also increases the difficulty of the draw. I prefer a more straight up draw, less cant. It is quicker and easier to draw. So what if there’s a little more bulge from the grip. People don’t pay as much attention as you’d think. Dress around what you want to carry, not the other way around. My 2 cents worth. Maybe only 1.
In my case it's quicker and easier to draw with a canted holster. I guess it all depends on your specific location- My arm and hand naturally move forward and up- matching the cant of the holster. I have to adjust to something unnatural (I have to rotate shoulders back to the gun side) to draw straight up and out... unless I'm forward of the hip point. I wear it behind the point of my hip (4-4:30 for righties) and couldn't draw straight up far enough to clear a 5" 1911 if my shoulder was normal. If I'm forward of the hip point, I have just enough range of motion to clear it.

This is a good lesson to newer LTC'ers.... it reinforces to them and the OP that we all have to do some research or practice to find our natural holster point.
:tiphat:
Exactly.

The more vertical (less cant) is easier and quicker for me and in general everyone, but there are always exceptions.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

flechero

Post by flechero »

AndyC wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:30 am For folks with short torsos - or even those who wear their pants a bit higher - a bit of cant makes it easier to get the pistol out; not everyone can draw straight up.
You callin' me long waisted?!?!?! "rlol"

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oljames3 »

For three years I carried my Tanfoglio BTA90, which is very close in size to a Commander .45, in a Galco King Tuk which was designed for a Commander size .45. Worked well. Was fairly easy to conceal and relatively comfortable. Belt clips on the holster tended to mar the steering wheel and seat if I was not careful.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

AndyC wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:18 pm
flechero wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:44 am
AndyC wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:30 am For folks with short torsos - or even those who wear their pants a bit higher - a bit of cant makes it easier to get the pistol out; not everyone can draw straight up.
You callin' me long waisted?!?!?! "rlol"
Short-ar$e ;)
I thought you were saying that he wears his jeans up a bit, like mom jeans. :biggrinjester:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”