Re: Failure to Stop X 15

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

A Philadelphia man walked himself to a hospital after absorbing 15 rounds of unspecified caliber fired by someone who apparently didn't like him much.

He's not feeling well right now but is expected to survive.

Details here.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

LDP wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:29 pm
Excaliber wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:34 pm He's not feeling well right now ...
I BET!

Wow, shot 15 times, not fun. Extremities? Torso? Vital organs?
If it's 15 shots from a .22 without critical hits, one can survive. 15 shots from a .45 would worry me greatly.

Any more details on the matter? Was he high on drugs which allowed him to drag himself into a hospital despite having 15 bullets in him?
I once worked on a guy who was involved in a drug deal gone bad, tried to run off, and was shot 4 times in the back at fairly close range. He ran the rest of the way to his car, jumped in and drove himself to our ER. He parked his car in the visitor lot across the street, walked into the department through the ambulance bay doors, walked up to the main desk, told one of the nurses "I think I’ve been shot", and only then collapsed to the floor. All four bullets were in his lung fields, two in the left lung and two in the right lung. Caliber was .38 Special, and I recall the bullets looking like semi-wadcutters on the X-ray images. He lived, but not without enduring chest tubes, etc.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

LDP wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:29 pm
Excaliber wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:34 pm He's not feeling well right now ...
I BET!

Wow, shot 15 times, not fun. Extremities? Torso? Vital organs?
If it's 15 shots from a .22 without critical hits, one can survive. 15 shots from a .45 would worry me greatly.

Any more details on the matter? Was he high on drugs which allowed him to drag himself into a hospital despite having 15 bullets in him?
I haven't seen anything further yet.

If I had to guess I'd figure the rounds were 9mm FMJ due to the number of shots fired and its popularity among the folks who tend to get involved in these kinds of games.

Update edit:

Police are saying the shell casings were "large caliber." They also state the hospital is 2.4 miles from the shooting scene. Details on where he was hit are in this followup article.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

n5wmk

Re: Re: Failure to Stop X 15

Post by n5wmk »

This link quoted below:
https://www.newsweek.com/gun-crime-man- ... ia-1467719
A man in Philadelphia who was shot more than a dozen times managed to survive and get himself to a hospital nearly two and a half miles away.

Police responded to calls about a shooting in the 1700 block of Tilghman Street in Kensington in the north of the city in the early hours of Friday morning.

When officers arrived at the scene, they found 23 spent shell casings, according to 6ABC. Soon afterwards, they were informed by the city's Temple University Hospital about a 27-year-old victim who had walked into the emergency room with a number of gunshot wounds.

Police said that the man had come from the scene of the shootings. The hospital is around around 2.4 miles from the crime scene, according to Google Maps. He is receiving surgery and it is thought that he will survive.

Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small told the network: "These were large caliber shell casings."

"For him to be hit that many times throughout his body, even though he is critical and is expected to survive, and he walked into the hospital. That's pretty miraculous," he added.

"He walked into the emergency room. Right now he is undergoing surgery. He is in critical condition but although he was shot multiple times, he is expected to survive," he added, according to CBS Philly.

Investigators are looking at footage from nearby surveillance cameras and as yet have no suspects or motive for the shootings and have appealed to the public for more information.

In a statement to Newsweek, Philadelphia police detailed the wounds of the victim which included five on the right side, two on his left hip, three on the upper chest, right shoulder, one on his right side neck, and three on his left forearm.

"The victim is in critical but stable condition. The scene was held, no weapons recovered and no arrest was made."

"This investigation is active and ongoing with the East Detective Division," the statement added.
I wonder what Inspector Small considers large caliber shell casings? Even so, that guy had a lot of new openings in his body.

Amazing!
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

flechero

Post by flechero »

Based on the numbers- I'll put $1 on 9mm

Large caliber in Philly (or anywhere in the Northeast) would likely be anything center fire.

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

Barring further information I'm going with 9mm 115gr FMJ.
NRA Benefactor Member

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Single shooter, multiple shooters?

23 spent shell casings....

Glock 30 rd. mag?
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

When I was doing my hospital rotations for my paramedic, I was at JPSH in the ER when a guy came limping in the general admittance door claiming he'd been shot, so the ER personnel scrambled to get him in to one of the trauma rooms, Doc ask him where are you hit at and the guy said down there pointing to his groin, nurses helped him get his pants off and sure enough there was a bullet hole beside his "junk" noted blood was dried and the wound didn't seem fresh, Doc ask him when did you get shot? Guy said Friday, this was Sunday evening, Doc asked,why'd you take so long to come in? Guy said it just now started hurting a bit ago! Per Xrays and the Doc after surgery, the bullet .38 cal round nose entered down in the pubic area, turned north up thru the pelvic area, missed the bladder, urethers, femoral arteries, proceeded through the abdomen missing both large and small intestine, missed the stomach, and stopped just short of the diaphragm, didn't Nick anything! Doc said if he hadn't seen it he wouldn't have believed it!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

crazy2medic wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:37 pm When I was doing,my hospital rotations for my paramedic, I was at JPSH in the ER when a guy came limping in the general admittance door claiming he'd been shot, so the ER personnel scrambled to get him in to one of the trauma rooms, Doc ask him where are you hit at and the guy said down there pointing to his groin, nurses helped him get his pants off and sure enough there was a bullet hole beside his "junk" noted blood was dried and the wound didn't seem fresh, Doc ask him when did you get shot? Guy said Friday, this was Sunday evening, Doc asked,why'd you take so long to come in? Guy said it just now started hurting a bit ago! Per Xrays and the Doc after surgery, the bullet .38 cal round nose entered down in the pubic area, turned north up thru the pelvic area, missed the bladder, urethers, femoral arteries, proceeded through the abdomen missing both large and small intestine, missed the stomach, and stopped just short of the diaphragm, didn't Nick anything! Doc said if he hadn't seen it he wouldn't have believed it!
People are both amazingly resilient and surprisingly fragile. There was the SEAL that got shot like 16 times and lived, and then someone will fall in the bathtub and die.
NRA Benefactor Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Gang related? Multiple shooters? High probability!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

ET-Ret

Post by ET-Ret »

There is no for sure thing . I have a 22lrhp in my right leg from playing quick draw and not clearing the holster. had a friend shoot me from behind
with a 22 rifle and it made a small hole bled for about 2 min drided up and dr just washed down both sides gave me a shot of penicillin and said come back in a week alarge band aid on both sides and off to see the girl friend. all of that is just luck. I heard on the radio where a bank guard took a
45acp to the heart and his badge stopped bullet knocked him out and he live to tell the story. Lee Harvey Oswald took one round from a 38 snub nose
and did not live to stand trial. people who are on drugs may take a lot of rounds. But I think hot rounds from 38 up to head or heart may end fight.
357 and 44 mag to the head may be dead on their feet. or headless.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I heard a story when I was young that one big man get shot in his guts many rounds (7-15) of an AK at close distance and survived.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

If it’s not your time to go you can survive a lot.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”