40%
Colt Classic
45%

Total votes: 20

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 1911 Bug bites again. Which one?

Post by Lynyrd »

I have a Colt 1991A1 stainless that has never jammed, ate all kinds of ammo, and shoots as true as I am capable of shooting. I can't swear when it was made (should look it up) but I think around 2008. I trust it as much or more as any sidearm I own.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 15

Post by C-dub »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:34 pm
Zombified wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:16 pm I voted for the CCU but would also recommend looking at Dan Wesson's. There are a few in the same price range as the CCU.
I'd second this. To be fair I have limited experience with Colts having owned only a Colt Defender that was perfectly adequate, and a WW1 era gun that I've never actually shot.

But I absolutely love my Dan Wessons, and I don't see a huge difference between them and my Nighthawk Custom.
Dan Wesson's, WOW those are nice. It looks like the Valor has been discontinued, but can still be found in various places. They're just not making them anymore. I looked through what they do have and like a few of them.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

It's interesting that the Classic has surged in the poll. I am leaning towards those two of the three choices. The reasons being that I don't think I'll need or take advantage of the extra features, while really nice, of the CCU for that money. If I'm gonna spend that much why not just look a little harder at a few of the Dan Wessons, which I'm gonna think about a little. The problem there is price point. I can get a pretty good to really good Colt or what will probably be an outstanding DW. Hmmm :grumble
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

DocV
Posts in topic: 4

Post by DocV »

C-dub wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:21 pm
DocV wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:45 pm The Competition and Classic are both series 70s. I think they are about the same price. The obvious differences are grip safety, trigger profile, hammer, sights, etc are what I would concentrate on. My problem is I like all 1911 configurations.
And my problem is I like Colts. My dad liked Rugers, but mostly revolvers. People have their preferences for whatever reasons and that’s cool!
I don't think you can go very wrong with a Colt. In fact, I have thought that four times already and haven't been wrong yet. To me, the price of a Colt has a great product per buck ratio. My favorite Colt is a Mark IV series 70. It shoots great and is highly reliable. The only issue to me was its trigger was not as smooth as my custom 1911s. Go figure. A few hundred rounds took care of that issue. Hmmm... I really need to go to the range more often...

No experience with Wessons but I hear good things here and elsewhere.

Lena
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lena »

No plans here to add another but if I did not already have one I would look real hard at an STI Trogan either new old stock or used, I could not be happier with my old one and the 5-6 people I shoot with that have them plus if ever needed the service is great and in Texas.
Stay Safe

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Lena wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:52 pm No plans here to add another but if I did not already have one I would look real hard at an STI Trogan either new old stock or used, I could not be happier with my old one and the 5-6 people I shoot with that have them plus if ever needed the service is great and in Texas.
I did look at STI several years ago before I bought my first and so far only 1911. Very nice and cool guns and made here in Texas. How could I go wrong?

Then I started realizing I was not going to be much of a competitive shooter, but more of an occasional match guy at my club and then as things turned out even less frequent than originally thought due to job and schedule changes. Up until a month or two ago I was saving for a SCAR-17s and then within the last two weeks began rethinking that and realizing that if I did get one I would hardly ever shoot it and it would just be a safe queen.

Then I also start to consider what style of person I am and I'm more meat & potatoes (Colt/RIA) than caviar & champagne (Dan Wesson/STI). No offense to anyone that has those because who wouldn't want one or five? And I know I said I really don't have a price range, but I guess I kinda do when it comes down to it. Since I'm not that experienced in these areas I'm having a difficult time comprehending what I would be getting value wise for double or even triple the price. It's ironic that it boggles my mind that another handgun could be 2-3x better than a Colt because I have argued that very same point years ago with Glock or S&W/High Point to a friend that didn't believe me until he shot another friend's M&P.

Life changes and sometimes more rapidly than we'd like or are prepared for. Right now, things are changing for me and my wife as our daughter is nearly out of high school and becoming more independent and we are beginning to take advantage of our expanding freedom. Remember that motorcycle I've mentioned she "tricked" me into getting? :mrgreen:

There's a competition model that I'm going to get my hands on tomorrow that will probably follow me home. We'll see and I'll let ya'll know. I really appreciate everyone's input. Checking with ya'll is sometimes a reality check for me and a way to explore other possibilities and tests my own choices. :thumbs2:

K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by K-Texas »

If you don't like the trigger on a series 80, there's an easy remedy for that. At the price point you're looking at. I wouldn't overlook Dan Wesson. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Alas, it appears that it was not meant to be today. I went to the place that said they had a Competition model and they do, but it is stainless. I didn't ask because I thought they only came in black top and bottom. That leads me to shop number two. They also had one, but stainless on top and bottom.

At location #3, an LGS, they also have a Competition model, but stainless on top and light blue on the bottom. What is going on here? :headscratch
This same shop also has a black top - stainless bottom Custom Shop Combat model for another $1k over what I was planning on spending for the Competition. Nice enough gun and has many of the same features, but also a couple differences. I doubt I'll end up going with that one since I'll have to continue saving a bit longer, but who knows in a few months if I still haven't obtained a black on black Competition model somewhere.

Oh well, I'm in no hurry. I just thought one was going to jump into my lap today. Maybe next week. I do have to make a trip down to central Texas for something else. Maybe I'll check a couple shops down that way and see what I find.

DocV
Posts in topic: 4

Post by DocV »

Grabagun has a listing for them
https://grabagun.com/firearms/handguns/ ... l-8-1.html
and, they are in the Dallas area. Dunno if they are actually close to you.

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

DocV wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:09 pm Grabagun has a listing for them
https://grabagun.com/firearms/handguns/ ... l-8-1.html
and, they are in the Dallas area. Dunno if they are actually close to you.
HOLY SMOKES!!!

They are close to me and I thought I had checked them a week or two ago. Gonna have to get over there.

Thank you!

16Adams
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 16Adams »

If you’re willing to look at other manufacturers in comparison.

https://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR1911.htm

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

LDP wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:05 am
C-dub wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:31 am 1911 Bug bites again.
Dang, this bug seems to be more dangerous than the swine flu!
I've never met you, yet you infected me. Yikes! Danger, danger!
Now I got the bug too! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Wife caught me looking at 1911s online last night and raised a silly question "why do you need another gun??" I calmly responded that surely it is for safety.

Anyway, I narrowed it down to two top runners (Kimber and S&W) but still can't decide, going back-n-forth.
The decision might be made for me based on price and availability.

HEALTH WARNING, guys!
Be careful, this bug is highly infectious!! :evil2:
Must be one of those internet viruses!

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

Hilarious- Not sure I realized the subliminal effect at work here!

I've been browsing 10mm 1911's all morning... :lol:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”