Oklahoma Constitutional Carry

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Oklahoma Constitutional Carry

Post by Flightmare »

chasfm11 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:05 am I've thought about Constitutional Carry in OK. I've also thought about it in Texas. Perhaps I just don't understand real day to day life but here are some of the areas that seem worthy of consideration.

1. Rules for carrying. Someone who just straps on a gun and has never had any education or done any reading about the limitations for carrying a gun might find themselves unexpectedly on the wrong side of the law. It seems hard to compare TX and OK in that regard. For example, OK has more Reservations were guns are likely prohibited. Places like Corps of Engineers property are probably more prevalent in TX, though I've never heard about a single incident of someone getting in trouble for carrying a pistol on COE land.
2. Interactions with police. One of the concerns that has been mentioned is gang-bangers being legal to carry guns with Constitutional Carry. I can see that a gang-banger without a felony record would not risk getting jail time in OK now for having a gun. But I'd guess that is is a "break-even" situation since gang-bangers were unlikely to follow the law without CC. In other States like IL, where gang-bangers in the big cities already operate outside the law, it wouldn't make much difference. I don't know if Tulsa or OK. City have similar issues, albeit on a smaller scale.

Other than that, I'd guess that life in OK after Constitutional Carry is pretty much like life was before it. A very small percentage of people who didn't want to take the trouble to get a license may be carrying guns now. But I'd bet that we have a small percentage of those in Texas, too. They are otherwise law-abiding people who either don't think that the government has a role in telling them about firearms or who just like more risk in their lives than the rest of us. And I think that is one of the biggest advantages of Constitutional Carry - it doesn't create a bunch of unnecessary "criminals". There is already a push to get large percentages of non-violent people out of jails. Someone whose only "mistake" was carrying a gun without a license should not be lumped in with those who infringe on the rights of their neighbors. JMHO.

How many people in Texas get their license and then never update themselves on changes to laws/rules? Most of the members on this forum are the exception, as we tend to be more politically active on 2A issues. But we are the exception, not the rule.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

16Adams
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 16Adams »

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:02 pm
On the other hand, a Texan who is carrying under vehicle carry and drives into OK may not know that they can put the gun in a holster and carry it on their person. But then again, if they don't know that OK has CC and they don't have an LTC, they might not own a holster in the first place. Worst case, they don't do something that they can legally do while visiting OK.
Your info here is incorrect... You must be a resident of OK to carry under the OK CC law.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Liberty »

cyphertext wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:41 am
On the other hand, a Texan who is carrying under vehicle carry and drives into OK may not know that they can put the gun in a holster and carry it on their person. But then again, if they don't know that OK has CC and they don't have an LTC, they might not own a holster in the first place. Worst case, they don't do something that they can legally do while visiting OK.
Your info here is incorrect... You must be a resident of OK to carry under the OK CC law.
This is the first I've heard of this. Everything I've seen or read goes like this.
anyone who is at least 21 years old (or at least 18 years old and is a member of the military or honorably discharged veteran) that can legally own a firearm to carry openly or concealed without a permit.
The only major restrictions that I've noticed are Indian reservations and no 10 mm handguns.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

16Adams

Post by 16Adams »

Please provide link on no 10MM in OK.
The 10MM bullet is smaller diameter than a 45, basically a 40.
The casing may be longer but so is 357/38

It’s early I’ve not had coffee. I’ll continue searching.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

16Adams wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:21 am Please provide link on no 10MM in OK.
The 10MM bullet is smaller diameter than a 45, basically a 40.
The casing may be longer but so is 357/38

It’s early I’ve not had coffee. I’ll continue searching.
I made a misjudgement, I had assumed the 10mm was a larger diameter than the .45 I'm pretty sure the 10mm cartridge would be ok inOK.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

That's good to know. It's irrelevant for me, personally (since I have an LTC), but I will make sure all of my non-LTC friends are aware of this. And this could cause an issue for non-LTC Texans who carry in their vehicles and who drive into Oklahoma. They may mistakenly believe they are OK (pun noted) especially if they are aware of the new CC law.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:23 am
That's good to know. It's irrelevant for me, personally (since I have an LTC), but I will make sure all of my non-LTC friends are aware of this. And this could cause an issue for non-LTC Texans who carry in their vehicles and who drive into Oklahoma. They may mistakenly believe they are OK (pun noted) especially if they are aware of the new CC law.
I may be wrong on this... I could have swore that I read that it would apply only to OK residents, but I can't find where I read that. Might have confused it with their SDA license.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

cyphertext wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:27 am
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:23 am
I may be wrong on this... I could have swore that I read that it would apply only to OK residents, but I can't find where I read that. Might have confused it with their SDA license.
Oklahoma does not issue a non SDA licence. I did notice that the media often used words such as "The bill would permit Oklahomans age 21 and older to carry a firearm without a permit. " Which would seem to imply that it only applies to residents. The actual law though states otherwise.
Liberty''s Blog

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Okay folks, can you dumb it down a little for me? I'm getting lost in the weeds a little on this one. If something is called Constitutional Carry and a permit is not required for those legally able to possess a handgun how or why would it only apply to residents of that state?

I, of course, have my LTC here in Texas so this isn't an issue for me. I just want to clear this up in my head.

In order to carry openly or concealed in the state of Oklahoma under this new law that just went into effect, does one need to be an Oklahoma resident if they do not have a permit from another state that Oklahoma has reciprocity with?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

C-dub wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:21 pm Okay folks, can you dumb it down a little for me? I'm getting lost in the weeds a little on this one. If something is called Constitutional Carry and a permit is not required for those legally able to possess a handgun how or why would it only apply to residents of that state?

I, of course, have my LTC here in Texas so this isn't an issue for me. I just want to clear this up in my head.

In order to carry openly or concealed in the state of Oklahoma under this new law that just went into effect, does one need to be an Oklahoma resident if they do not have a permit from another state that Oklahoma has reciprocity with?
The bill is here
http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pd ... %20INT.PDF
Read the underlined stuff. It is pretty clear to me, but I'm not a lawyer. Quick google searches haven't shown me anything contradictory though.
Liberty''s Blog

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

As far as I know, TX and OK still have reciprocity for licensing purposes. So, to quote Hildebeast, what difference at this point does it make? If you have an LTC, you should be able to carry concealed or openly in OK, subject to the same restrictions as OK residents. Is Constitutional Carry without a license permitted in GFSZ?

I think the bigger issue, and this may be what the OP was getting at, is what effect CC in OK will have on the further loosening of gun laws in TX. My guess is, particularly as the longer term data comes in from OK, is that it will have the effect of loosening the law here.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 5

Post by K.Mooneyham »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:48 pm As far as I know, TX and OK still have reciprocity for licensing purposes. So, to quote Hildebeast, what difference at this point does it make? If you have an LTC, you should be able to carry concealed or openly in OK, subject to the same restrictions as OK residents. Is Constitutional Carry without a license permitted in GFSZ?

I think the bigger issue, and this may be what the OP was getting at, is what effect CC in OK will have on the further loosening of gun laws in TX. My guess is, particularly as the longer term data comes in from OK, is that it will have the effect of loosening the law here.
Thank you, TAM. That was my point.

Return to “Other States”