Oklahoma Constitutional Carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
1wise1
Posts in topic: 3

Oklahoma Constitutional Carry

Post by 1wise1 »

Have not seen the verbiage of the law change in Oklahoma.
What does this mean in terms of reciprocity? I frequently transit Oklahoma highways en-route to family in Missouri.
Will Oklahoma still honor Texas CHL? What about Okies in Texas? Is there a new can of worms to sort through still to be resolved?
Certified Glock Armorer
Combine ignorance, arrogance and low altitude, and the result is guaranteed to be spectacular.

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Oklahoma Constitutional Carry

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

already running at https://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=97719 (Other States subforum)
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Topic author
1wise1

Post by 1wise1 »

Unfortunately, the "other" discussion has nothing to do with reciprocity or the issue of how Texans will be handled if stopped in Oklahoma. It has devolved into a pissing match and veered far off topic. My question has to do with the legal issue of how do non Oklahomans who may be pulled over, handle the obvious challenge from the Oklahoma State Trooper; their CHL is longer recognized by Oklahoma, and since they are not residents of the state they also are not covered by the state's new laws. ?
My question stands.
Certified Glock Armorer
Combine ignorance, arrogance and low altitude, and the result is guaranteed to be spectacular.

16Adams
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 16Adams »

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

1wise1 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:28 am Unfortunately, the "other" discussion has nothing to do with reciprocity or the issue of how Texans will be handled if stopped in Oklahoma. It has devolved into a pissing match and veered far off topic. My question has to do with the legal issue of how do non Oklahomans who may be pulled over, handle the obvious challenge from the Oklahoma State Trooper; their CHL is longer recognized by Oklahoma, and since they are not residents of the state they also are not covered by the state's new laws. ?
My question stands.
Nothing has changed regarding reciprocity with TX. OK now recognizes every other states permits as well. You just can't carry under OK's CC law without being a resident.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

cyphertext wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:46 am
1wise1 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:28 am Unfortunately, the "other" discussion has nothing to do with reciprocity or the issue of how Texans will be handled if stopped in Oklahoma. It has devolved into a pissing match and veered far off topic. My question has to do with the legal issue of how do non Oklahomans who may be pulled over, handle the obvious challenge from the Oklahoma State Trooper; their CHL is longer recognized by Oklahoma, and since they are not residents of the state they also are not covered by the state's new laws. ?
My question stands.
Nothing has changed regarding reciprocity with TX. OK now recognizes every other states permits as well. You just can't carry under OK's CC law without being a resident.
I can't find anything that supports your claim that You have to be a citizen of Oklahoma to constitutional carry.
6. The carrying of a firearm, concealed or unconcealed, loaded
or unloaded, by a person who is twenty-one (21) years of age or
older or by a person who is eighteen (18) years of age but not yet
twenty-one (21) years of age and the person is a member or veteran
of the United States Armed Forces, Reserves or National Guard or was
discharged under honorable conditions from the United States Armed
Forces, Reserves or National Guard, and the person is otherwise not
disqualified from the possession or purchase of a firearm under
state or federal law and is not carrying the firearm in furtherance
of a crime.
Except as provided in subsection B of Section 1283 of this
title, a person who has been convicted of any one of the following
offenses in this state or a violation of the equivalent law of
another state:
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

16Adams wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:56 am From the OSBI website

https://osbi.ok.gov/handgun-licensing/faq
Specifically,
> Can I carry in Oklahoma if I have a license from another state?

Oklahoma recognizes any valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state.

If you are from a state that allows you to carry a handgun but does not issue permits or licenses, Oklahoma reciprocates under the permitting law of your state.
Interesting.....
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

flechero

Post by flechero »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:52 pm

Specifically,
If you are from a state that allows you to carry a handgun but does not issue permits or licenses, Oklahoma reciprocates under the permitting law of your state.
Interesting.....
For those of us that are slow, I assume that means from another constitutional carry state?

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Specifically,

Oklahoma recognizes any valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state.

Interesting.....
@Liberty, This is what made me believe that you had to be an OK resident... or at least CC in OK wouldn't be allowed for a Texas resident. A non-resident would be given reciprocity based on the permitting or licensing of their own state, to include states with CC. Since Texas doesn't have CC, I didn't think it would apply. Looks like the wording of their statute and their FAQ are contradictory.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

cyphertext wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:20 am

Specifically,

Interesting.....
@Liberty, This is what made me believe that you had to be an OK resident... or at least CC in OK wouldn't be allowed for a Texas resident. A non-resident would be given reciprocity based on the permitting or licensing of their own state, to include states with CC. Since Texas doesn't have CC, I didn't think it would apply. Looks like the wording of their statute and their FAQ are contradictory.
Sorta like Texas.
I believe the reciprocity rules were written before the Constitutional Carry Bill became effective. Maybe it's not as contradictory as it seems though. I interpret this as meaning:

"Oklahoma will recognize all gun licenses from any state. But you don't really need a license. "

While it might not make a difference to most of us, family members (such as my wife) who normally carry under Texas' MPA would be protected under OK's new laws.

Then again, I'm not a lawyer, so what do I know?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Liberty wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:53 am
cyphertext wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:20 am

Specifically,

Interesting.....
Sorta like Texas.
I believe the reciprocity rules were written before the Constitutional Carry Bill became effective. Maybe it's not as contradictory as it seems though. I interpret this as meaning:

"Oklahoma will recognize all gun licenses from any state. But you don't really need a license. "

While it might not make a difference to most of us, family members (such as my wife) who normally carry under Texas' MPA would be protected under OK's new laws.

Then again, I'm not a lawyer, so what do I know?
I think I'll just stay out of Oklahoma... There's a reason I left 30 years ago! :txflag:

Topic author
1wise1

Post by 1wise1 »

Well, at least their state legislature meets more often than every two years so, next time around they can "fix" any inconsistencies or glaring errors the law... Of course when Ok turns Blue, we can kiss it all goodbye anyway. Texas will be unofficially Blue within around 4 or 6 years. Hard to understand why all those Californians who hate what's happened to their state move to Texas and immediately try to change the culture and laws to reflect all that they left behind. Guess snowflakes just like more snow.
Certified Glock Armorer

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

"Of course when Ok turns Blue, we can kiss it all goodbye anyway."

If you check the county maps of Oklahoma from the last several elections, I believe you will find that Oklahoma will be one of the last states to go blue - if ever. I WISH we could say the same for Tejas.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”