Defense Plan Without Firearm Worked Tonight

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Defense Plan Without Firearm Worked Tonight

Post by carlson1 »

I have put a lot of thought in securing my home and my firearm is the last resort. It worked tonight. I have a lot of lights, 8 alarm cameras, monitored burglar alarm, dog, extra enforcement on our doors.

Tonight at exactly 9:26 my camera alarm at the front door went off. When I turned it on the dog was barking (big dog so big bark) a black male with dreadlocks wearing a dark colored hoody was attempting to open our storm door that was locked. As soon as the extra lights came on the dog began to bark in he ran to the street, jumped a vehicle, and sped away. I was already armed if he been able to make it inside my home which was not going to be easy. I immediately called Irving PD. Then I called our elderly neighbors to our East and checked on them and informed them of the situation.

A short time later we learned that just a few blocks down the road someone fired 10-13 rounds from a .223. We do not know if it was at a house, at someone, or in the air. Police were on scene investigating and there were casings laying in the street.

I am glad that we have over the years taken different steps of security other than just having a firearm. The very last thing I ever want to do is have to use my firearm in a self defense situation. We don’t know or I guess we will ever know rather the gun fire was related with the man at our door.

The extra lightening, alarm cameras, the extra enforcing of our doors, the monitored burglar alarm, and a big dog stopped what could have been a very bad situation.

Credit to the TexasCHLForum because this place is where I have learned a lot about taking the extra steps and building a defense around you home. God looks after even his slow children.

We just have to make ourselves look like a harder target. Sometimes the safest thing is to simply put up a “Beware of Dog” sign rather you have a dog or not. Make yourself a harder target than someone else.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Defense Plan Without Firearm Worked Tonight

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Thank god you are alright. That could have been real bad. One just never knows when the bad guy is going to pick their home.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

It's all about layers of protection. Nothing is 100%, but every layer increases your chances. I'm thankful that God looked out for you and your family tonight. I'm also thankful that you didn't have to defend yourself with deadly force. Please keep us informed if you hear any updates.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

flechero

Post by flechero »

Flightmare wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:33 am It's all about layers of protection. Nothing is 100%, but every layer increases your chances. I'm thankful that God looked out for you and your family tonight. I'm also thankful that you didn't have to defend yourself with deadly force. Please keep us informed if you hear any updates.
Quoted for truth! Glad the 1st layers worked!

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Your very well designed plan did exactly what it was supposed to do.

It stopped a major criminal attack at its very earliest stage and prevented a confrontation that would have been much worse for all involved if it had reached that stage.

Kudos for your planning, your commitment to investment in your plan (there was a cost for your protective elements) and your perfect response to the attempted attack.

:thumbs2:
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

So glad you are okay and didn't have to use deadly force. I heard about the gunfire up around Rochelle last night. I am not sure if you have the app "Next Door" or not. It is an app that you can set up for specific areas or neighborhoods that will keep you up on some of the latest goings on. I get alerts all of the time about strange people in the area or loose or lost dogs and such.

:thumbs2: on learning about layers of security from this site. We took some of the same measures about 10 years ago when my wife decided we needed to remodel (AGAIN :mrgreen: )
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I'm glad your deterrence worked. With what you described makes me wonder how you failed victim selection. Home Invader, "Yeah that house with the lights and cameras, that's the one I want." I'm sure a police department somewhere has a nice set of pictures of him with that kind of thinking. Speaking of police did you get them a copy of the video of the guy?
NRA Benefactor Member

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Thank the Good Lord you are alright and I hope your neighbors are as well. You mentioned your elderly neighbors and it triggered an admonition I give to folks who have handicap parking placards hanging from their mirrors. While it's illegal to have them hanging while driving, many if not most do so. The problem is criminals see a car at a house with the tag hanging and assume there's an easy target inside. Just a word to the wise to remove those handicap tags and put them out of sight in your vehicle when you're home.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

RPBrown wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:37 am So glad you are okay and didn't have to use deadly force. I heard about the gunfire up around Rochelle last night. I am not sure if you have the app "Next Door" or not. It is an app that you can set up for specific areas or neighborhoods that will keep you up on some of the latest goings on. I get alerts all of the time about strange people in the area or loose or lost dogs and such.

:thumbs2: on learning about layers of security from this site. We took some of the same measures about 10 years ago when my wife decided we needed to remodel (AGAIN :mrgreen: )
Thanks my friend and I will download that app now

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

puma guy wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:27 am Thank the Good Lord you are alright and I hope your neighbors are as well. You mentioned your elderly neighbors and it triggered an admonition I give to folks who have handicap parking placards hanging from their mirrors. While it's illegal to have them hanging while driving, many if not most do so. The problem is criminals see a car at a house with the tag hanging and assume there's an easy target inside. Just a word to the wise to remove those handicap tags and put them out of sight in your vehicle when you're home.
Great thought! I have a handicap plate (not the blues placard) and it makes me wonder if they had seen that now.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Sorry it happened but very glad you folks are okay. Excellent planning my friend!

Chas.

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

carlson1 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:43 am I have put a lot of thought in securing my home and my firearm is the last resort. It worked tonight. I have a lot of lights, 8 alarm cameras, monitored burglar alarm, dog, extra enforcement on our doors.

Tonight at exactly 9:26 my camera alarm at the front door went off. When I turned it on the dog was barking (big dog so big bark) a black male with dreadlocks wearing a dark colored hoody was attempting to open our storm door that was locked. As soon as the extra lights came on the dog began to bark in he ran to the street, jumped a vehicle, and sped away. I was already armed if he been able to make it inside my home which was not going to be easy. I immediately called Irving PD. Then I called our elderly neighbors to our East and checked on them and informed them of the situation.

A short time later we learned that just a few blocks down the road someone fired 10-13 rounds from a .223. We do not know if it was at a house, at someone, or in the air. Police were on scene investigating and there were casings laying in the street.

I am glad that we have over the years taken different steps of security other than just having a firearm. The very last thing I ever want to do is have to use my firearm in a self defense situation. We don’t know or I guess we will ever know rather the gun fire was related with the man at our door.

The extra lightening, alarm cameras, the extra enforcing of our doors, the monitored burglar alarm, and a big dog stopped what could have been a very bad situation.

Credit to the TexasCHLForum because this place is where I have learned a lot about taking the extra steps and building a defense around you home. God looks after even his slow children.

We just have to make ourselves look like a harder target. Sometimes the safest thing is to simply put up a “Beware of Dog” sign rather you have a dog or not. Make yourself a harder target than someone else.
Glad to hear it worked out. We live in a gated community in Las Colinas nearby.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

carlson1 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:43 am I have put a lot of thought in securing my home and my firearm is the last resort. It worked tonight. I have a lot of lights, 8 alarm cameras, monitored burglar alarm, dog, extra enforcement on our doors.

Glad to hear that your preparations made the bad guys look for greener pastures. Multiple layers of defense helps drive the criminals to the "low hanging fruit." Unfortunately sometimes that low hanging fruit is your elderly neighbors, so hopefully your story will help them to take the steps needed to harden their home.

JRG

Post by JRG »

Glad you guys are okay! You have some great ideas implemented.

Joe

Return to “Off-Topic”