No star in upper right corner of your DL? Problems after 10/1/2020.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

oohrah
Posts in topic: 3

Re: No star in upper right corner of your DL? Problems after 10/1/2020.

Post by oohrah »

I've been reading the horror stories about wait times at DPS, and I saw the Lieber article. I don't have a RealID and my DL renews this year, so I tried the "get in line online" DPS webpage this morning. I was given a "serve time" and told to show up 10 minutes early (at Waco DPS). I checked in 20 minutes early and was given a number ticket. My number was called 15 minutes after my "serve time", and my renewal transaction took about 7 minutes. I did have to have my passport to verify citizenship (DPS lists acceptable documents, and you must provide proof for the RealID).

Total time in and out the door was just under 45 minutes.

The only quirky thing I'll note is that I received a reminder text 30 minutes before my "serve time". Well, what do they think you're doing at that time? You're driving to the DL office ... and they want you to read a text?
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RoyGBiv »

Just wanted to thank the OP (and others that contributed) for bringing this to my attention. Mrs.GBiv and I both renewed our licenses shortly before the star was implemented. We did bring our passports for ID when we renewed, so, I'm hoping the early renewal can be done online. We both fly a lot for work. I'd hate to have to carry my passport domestically.

Worst case, looks like I can carry my Global Entry card more easily that my passport.
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/03/altern ... cense-tsa/
However, if you don’t have a passport or passport card, there are actually several other options you can use for ID, some of which you might already have. For instance, if you’re a member of the Global Entry program, your Global Entry card can serve as an accepted form of identification, as can ID cards from any of the other trusted traveler programs such as NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST.

In fact, there are at least 15 different forms of ID that are accepted by the TSA. Here’s the official list from tsa.gov:

Driver’s licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
U.S. passport
U.S. passport card
DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
Permanent resident card
Border crossing card
DHS-designated enhanced driver’s license
Airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
HSPD-12 PIV card
Foreign government-issued passport
Canadian provincial driver’s license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
Transportation worker identification credential
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

The REAL ID act requires that government issued IDs used for federal purposes meet a certain set of requirements to give a level of confidence that the bearer is in fact who he or she says he/she.

Since there is no standard federal ID -- the closest we come is the passport, which is not required for US citizens not traveling beyond our borders -- the de facto ID for most people is the state DL, and the Feds have accepted that for years/decades.

However under our federal national structure, each state controls it's own requirements for who gets a state driver's license (or ID) and up to the early 2000s there was no federal requirement for what constituted an State DL/ID acceptable for federal identification purposes.

Several states knowingly allow, even encourage, criminals -- specifically, illegal aliens -- to obtain DLs/IDs. And frankly the amount of vetting that states have traditionally engaged in has been pretty low, making it easy to assume a false identity.

You can grumble all you want but after the attacks on the Twin Towers and the Pentagon as well as many previous airliner incidents, knowing who is on an airliner is not going away. Thus in order to continue to accept state DLs/IDs for federal purposes -- like airway security -- the Federal Government developed a set of minimum requirements to obtain a certain level of confidence that the bearer of a state DL or ID is who he/she claims to be. These requirements include having a LEGAL status to reside in the United States. The physical DL or ID produced incorporates certain technical features to make it harder to tamper with a DL or produce a false one.

The original date for all REAL ID licenses to be issued was May of 2008, but there have been numerous extensions, and I don't think any state met the original date. A couple extensions have come and gone. We are in the final stretch, and DHS is currently accepting the old, non-REAL ID driver's licenses for those states who have substantially complied with the Act and then only for those people born before 01 Dec 1964 (like me).

Under our federal system, no state is required to follow these rules. States may continue to issue licenses and IDs that are not compliant with REAL ID. Also under our federal system, the federal government is free to refuse to accept those DLs/IDs for federal purposes, and require you to present other ID that is acceptable. I think all states have sensibly chosen to incorporate the REAL ID standards to some degree into their state requirements, otherwise the airline-traveling portion of the populations were going to have a very hard time. A couple states are choosing to issue two types of licenses, one REAL ID compliant and one not compliant (which is labeled as not valid for federal identification).

The physical DL or ID produced is marked (at least in the case of Texas) with the star indicating it has gone through the vetting process and it contains the technical features required to make it harder to tamper with or counterfeit the license. Because the LTCs do not incorporate the same technical features or other requirements, they don't get the star and they aren't accepted by the Feds (e.g the TSA) as identification.

If you don't have a state-issued REAL ID compliant driver license or id card, a military ID or passport can be used, or you can enroll in one of the DHS Trusted Traveler programs.
USAF 1982-2005

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

ELB wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:53 am The REAL ID act requires that government issued IDs used for federal purposes meet a certain set of requirements to give a level of confidence that the bearer is in fact who he or she says he/she.

Since there is no standard federal ID -- the closest we come is the passport, which is not required for US citizens not traveling beyond our borders -- the de facto ID for most people is the state DL, and the Feds have accepted that for years/decades.

However under our federal national structure, each state controls it's own requirements for who gets a state driver's license (or ID) and up to the early 2000s there was no federal requirement for what constituted an State DL/ID acceptable for federal identification purposes.

Several states knowingly allow, even encourage, criminals -- specifically, illegal aliens -- to obtain DLs/IDs. And frankly the amount of vetting that states have traditionally engaged in has been pretty low, making it easy to assume a false identity.

You can grumble all you want but after the attacks on the Twin Towers and the Pentagon as well as many previous airliner incidents, knowing who is on an airliner is not going away. Thus in order to continue to accept state DLs/IDs for federal purposes -- like airway security -- the Federal Government developed a set of minimum requirements to obtain a certain level of confidence that the bearer of a state DL or ID is who he/she claims to be. These requirements include having a LEGAL status to reside in the United States. The physical DL or ID produced incorporates certain technical features to make it harder to tamper with a DL or produce a false one.

The original date for all REAL ID licenses to be issued was May of 2008, but there have been numerous extensions, and I don't think any state met the original date. A couple extensions have come and gone. We are in the final stretch, and DHS is currently accepting the old, non-REAL ID driver's licenses for those states who have substantially complied with the Act and then only for those people born before 01 Dec 1964 (like me).

Under our federal system, no state is required to follow these rules. States may continue to issue licenses and IDs that are not compliant with REAL ID. Also under our federal system, the federal government is free to refuse to accept those DLs/IDs for federal purposes, and require you to present other ID that is acceptable. I think all states have sensibly chosen to incorporate the REAL ID standards to some degree into their state requirements, otherwise the airline-traveling portion of the populations were going to have a very hard time. A couple states are choosing to issue two types of licenses, one REAL ID compliant and one not compliant (which is labeled as not valid for federal identification).

The physical DL or ID produced is marked (at least in the case of Texas) with the star indicating it has gone through the vetting process and it contains the technical features required to make it harder to tamper with or counterfeit the license. Because the LTCs do not incorporate the same technical features or other requirements, they don't get the star and they aren't accepted by the Feds (e.g the TSA) as identification.

If you don't have a state-issued REAL ID compliant driver license or id card, a military ID or passport can be used, or you can enroll in one of the DHS Trusted Traveler programs.
Once all the states have complied with REAL ID, it's only a matter of time before the Feds pass a law that states must integrate their drivers license/ID database into the Fed. Voila! National ID card. Big government wins again.

Ameer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Ameer »

But it's racist to require ID to vote!
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

hypothetical situation:
Suppose I don't drive and don't want a DPS "ID card" because I have a DPS issued LTC for ID for voting etc etc
Do I get a star on my LTC?
Even if I do drive but use my LTC as ID instead of my TDL ...
1) So if I use my LTC as ID for among other things, for Federal purposes voting in National Elections etc etc etc ... I need a star on it too?
2) Then they have a National database of licensed carriers?

What I find funny ... is that the LTC itself can be used as 1 form of verification which entitles you to a star on your DL

https://texasdriverscenter.com/texas-real-id/

Real ID checklist when you are applying for your new driver’s license or identification card:

1. Proof of Residency in Texas for at least 30 days. You must have two approved documents with the same name and physical Texas address.
Utility Bill dated within 90 days
Current deed or mortgage
Current homeowners’ or renters’ policy
Medical or Health card
Valid and unexpired Texas registration
Current automobile insurance policy
Automobile payment book
Texas high school, college or university report card of transcript for the current year.
Preprinted paycheck stub within 90 days from the date of application
W-2 or 1099 from current tax year
Mail from a financial institution from within 90 days of application date
Mail from a government agency from within 90 days of application date
Current U.S. Military documents
Selective Service Card
Concealed handgun license or License to carry
TDCJ document from a recent release or parole
Current form DS-2019, I-20 or USCIS document
Last edited by NotRPB on Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Does anybody have a star on their LTC? I don't.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

So LTC/CHL isn't going to be "Real ID" compliant?

https://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=93669

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

I distinctly remember taking my State sealed birth certificate into DPS around 2008 for my DL renewal. I don't remember whether or not the DL that I got then had a star on it. The one that I just renewed does not. I gave up flying unless there was no choice a few years ago. My wife has two artifical knees and gets a pat down every time we fly regardless of the extra card she was given that says she has them. But we have relatives in another State and might need to fly on short notice. We have passports so I guess that would be the solution if we had to. I remember stories about Pennsylvania not being compliant and my wife giving her kin there a hard time because Texas was. I'd sure like to know what happened that neither of us have stars.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Just in case anyone is unclear.... If your current DL is not Real ID compliant, you have to wait until you are inside of 2 years before expiration to renew. My DL expires in mid 2022. I cannot renew until mid 2020.

See FAQ question #6 here: https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense ... lIdAct.htm (emphasis mine)
If your card expires before October 1, 2022, and you don't have a gold star in the upper right-hand corner, renew your driver license or identification card before the October 1, 2020 deadline. You are eligible to renew up to two years in advance of your card's expiration date.
I wonder what happens if I "lost" my current DL? Would they issue a non-REAL ID duplicate or would they upgrade it to REAL ID compliant?
That question is not in the FAQ. IIRC, I had to show my passport when I renewed in 2016. :confused5
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

RoyGBiv wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:42 am Just in case anyone is unclear.... If your current DL is not Real ID compliant, you have to wait until you are inside of 2 years before expiration to renew. My DL expires in mid 2022. I cannot renew until mid 2020.

See FAQ question #6 here: https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense ... lIdAct.htm (emphasis mine)
If your card expires before October 1, 2022, and you don't have a gold star in the upper right-hand corner, renew your driver license or identification card before the October 1, 2020 deadline. You are eligible to renew up to two years in advance of your card's expiration date.
I wonder what happens if I "lost" my current DL? Would they issue a non-REAL ID duplicate or would they upgrade it to REAL ID compliant?
That question is not in the FAQ. IIRC, I had to show my passport when I renewed in 2016. :confused5
But because you showed up in person last time, and you have shown proof of citizenship, you can renew online in mid 2020 and beat the deadline.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

RoyGBiv: You are welcome. I'm the OP, and I thought this issue might be of help to one and all. To many people, reading hardcopy newspapers and periodicals may be "old school", but I just never know what I'll find when I turn the pages. Stumbling upon this in the DMN of 7/21/19 was opportune.

oorah: I'm glad you had to make only a 45 minute investment to get your DL upgraded.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

I received a notification letter from DPS on Saturday about my DL not being REAL ID compliant. The path to obtaining a REAL ID license if your doesn't expire until after Oct 1 2020 is to request a duplicate ID by mail or online for $10.00. (Online adds $1.00 fee for total of $11.00).
I requested a duplicate this morning online.

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

I have found that using my passport is much easier. There has never been any questions about a Federally issued ID.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

OneGun wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:24 pm I have found that using my passport is much easier. There has never been any questions about a Federally issued ID.
The passport doesn't have your address on it. I hate letting everyone one at the airport know I'm leaving town, and by the way .. Here is where I live.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “Off-Topic”