Movie - Ford vs Ferrari

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Scott B.
Posts in topic: 4

Movie - Ford vs Ferrari

Post by Scott B. »

Short version. - :thumbs2:

If you want to see a very good movie for adults -- and by this I mean not about cartoon characters -- you should seek out Ford versus Ferrari. It's an entertaining and surprisingly well made movie.

I have enjoyed a superhero movie or three, but this is the best film I've seen in a long while. Admittedly, I am a race fan so that may bias me, but it's probably the best racing movie since 1971's Le Mans with Steve McQueen and it's much more entertaining. Your spouse, he or she, might even enjoy it.

It's a touch sad if you know the story of the 1966 race and what followed, but it's handled smarty.

Christian Bale deserves an award or two for this one.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Movie - Ford vs Ferrari

Post by WildBill »

Scott B. wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:48 pm Short version. - :thumbs2:

If you want to see a very good movie for adults -- and by this I mean not about cartoon characters -- you should seek out Ford versus Ferrari. It's an entertaining and surprisingly well made movie.

I have enjoyed a superhero movie or three, but this is the best film I've seen in a long while. Admittedly, I am a race fan so that may bias me, but it's probably the best racing movie since 1971's Le Mans with Steve McQueen and it's much more entertaining. Your spouse, he or she, might even enjoy it.

It's a touch sad if you know the story of the 1966 race and what followed, but it's handled smarty.

Christian Bale deserves an award or two for this one.
I was talking to a friend this evening about this movie - it is on my watch list. A couple days ago, another friend [big time car guy and race fan] posted that he was watching the 2013 movie Rush. I had never seen it before, so I watched it last night. I thought it was excellent. It really captivated my attention.
NRA Endowment Member

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

It's on my watch list for theater viewing. I've got Adam Carolla's "The 24 Hour War" on my watch at home list. We went to see "Midway" earlier this week. Great film.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Wife and I went to see it last night. Highly recommended.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

puma guy wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:49 am It's on my watch list for theater viewing. I've got Adam Carolla's "The 24 Hour War" on my watch at home list. We went to see "Midway" earlier this week. Great film.
That one is on my list! Don't tell us how it ends. You will spoil it for me. :biggrinjester:

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:50 pm
puma guy wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:49 am It's on my watch list for theater viewing. I've got Adam Carolla's "The 24 Hour War" on my watch at home list. We went to see "Midway" earlier this week. Great film.
That one is on my list! Don't tell us how it ends. You will spoil it for me. :biggrinjester:
OK! Mum's the word. :lol:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I saw it yesterday.

Great movie!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jason812

Post by jason812 »

I want to see this. It looks well done and even though they were before my time, I like the old FE blocked Fords.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mojo84 »

A client, who is a race enthusiast, recommended I watch The 24 Hour War before I see Ford vs. Ferrari.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt4875844/
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

I very much enjoyed it, but I am a car nut, so its expected.

I'm not sure which one is better Le Mans with Steve McQueen or this one.

Steve's movie is more real, less cgi, but this has a better story.

The old cars are a feast for the eyes. I found my self purposely not looking at the speaking characters, but looking at the garage and what was inside.

I knew enough, but not enough to spoil the plot.

Recommended.

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Film wise, Le Mans is like a car guy's Battleship Potemkin. It stands on its own. And there's about as much dialog :mrgreen:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

There’s a really good documentary on Netflix about the rivalry:
https://www.netflix.com/title/80158800? ... =254015180
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

philip964

Post by philip964 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:15 pm There’s a really good documentary on Netflix about the rivalry:
Knowing a little. But not too much, made it very entertaining. There were still surprises for me.

Now I will watch the documentaries that tell the less Hollywood version as I would really like to know how much of the details were real. Thanks for the link to Netflix.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:15 pm There’s a really good documentary on Netflix about the rivalry:
I didn't realize it was on Netflix when I made my above post with the link. You saved me $2.99.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Saw something about the producers/directors/somebody w/ the movie was also involved in a documentary about the GT-40. Didn't catch which one.

Return to “Off-Topic”