GA: First GA School System To Arm Teachers (sic)

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

GA: First GA School System To Arm Teachers (sic)

Post by oljames3 »

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2019/11/1 ... -teachers/
Laurens County, a rural community 2.5 hours south of Atlanta is making history in the state of Georgia, by adopting extraordinary school safety measures, to protect children from harm.

It is the first school district in the state to put guns in the hands of some of its teachers and staff members. Outside every school building in the county is a yellow sign that reads, in part: “Warning. Staff members are armed and trained. Any attempt to harm children will be met with deadly force.”
Last edited by oljames3 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

C-dub

Re: GA: First GA School System To Arm Teachers

Post by C-dub »

I've been thinking about this a little.

My thoughts are that we need to stop saying that we're "arming teachers." We need to say that we are allowing teachers to be armed or carry concealed if they want and meet the requirements of the school district or whatever, but I think we need to stop saying that we are "arming teachers." Kind of like saying high capacity magazines versus standard capacity. I think it gives the wrong message and many (anti gun nuts) usually completely misunderstand and think that the school is actually giving guns to some or all of the teachers without any training or licenses or whatever.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

C-dub wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:29 pm I've been thinking about this a little.

My thoughts are that we need to stop saying that we're "arming teachers." We need to say that we are allowing teachers to be armed or carry concealed if they want and meet the requirements of the school district or whatever, but I think we need to stop saying that we are "arming teachers." Kind of like saying high capacity magazines versus standard capacity. I think it gives the wrong message and many (anti gun nuts) usually completely misunderstand and think that the school is actually giving guns to some or all of the teachers without any training or licenses or whatever.
I personally have never used the phrasing of "arming teachers". I have always said that teachers and others who are law abiding should be allowed to defend themselves (and consequently others) by arming themselves...if they so choose. I'm not advocating ANYONE carry a weapon who makes the choice that they do not want to. But I do believe that those who wish to take responsibility for their own safety, not be denied the most effective means of providing that safety.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

C-dub wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:29 pm I've been thinking about this a little.

100% agree.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”