SCOTUS: to rule on gun rights

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

SCOTUS: to rule on gun rights

Post by philip964 »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 251054002/

USA Today shaking. They may expand gun rights.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Re: SCOTUS: to rule on gun rights

Post by srothstein »

I am surprised that SCOTUS is keeping the case alive. I thought it would die as a moot case when the state law was passed banning cities from those types of restrictions. I saw two explanations for why the case is going to be heard still:

1. SCOTUS hates when cities or states try to manipulate the court by repealing laws to make cases moot. It is a trick that allows the laws to stand in other places and the city could reimpose the same or a very similar law.

2. The two new conservative justices (Kavanaugh and Gorsuch) are really pro-gun and want to make a ruling to help with carry rights. If this is true, expect a fairly general and far-reaching ruling. It may even deal a death blow to may issue permitting schemes.

I have to say that I doubt this case would be heard without Kavanaugh and Gorsuch being there. And for that, though I may not like his behavior or agree on all his positions, I have to say thank you to President Trump for nominating them and standing behind them throughout the confirmation process.
Steve Rothstein

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

This case could be better than Peruta if the decision goes the way that Steve suggests.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

SCOTUS oral arguments are still not televised, right?

Working from home today. Would like to watch.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

RoyGBiv wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:48 am SCOTUS oral arguments are still not televised, right?

Working from home today. Would like to watch.
That is correct. Which means unless we're in the room, we have to wait and see if someone made an audio tape or the judicial opinion to be released.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

Video of a guy that was in the room.
NRA Benefactor Member

dlh

Post by dlh »

srothstein wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:43 pm I am surprised that SCOTUS is keeping the case alive. I thought it would die as a moot case when the state law was passed banning cities from those types of restrictions. I saw two explanations for why the case is going to be heard still:

1. SCOTUS hates when cities or states try to manipulate the court by repealing laws to make cases moot. It is a trick that allows the laws to stand in other places and the city could reimpose the same or a very similar law.

2. The two new conservative justices (Kavanaugh and Gorsuch) are really pro-gun and want to make a ruling to help with carry rights. If this is true, expect a fairly general and far-reaching ruling. It may even deal a death blow to may issue permitting schemes.

I have to say that I doubt this case would be heard without Kavanaugh and Gorsuch being there. And for that, though I may not like his behavior or agree on all his positions, I have to say thank you to President Trump for nominating them and standing behind them throughout the confirmation process.
The Supremes may say, as they did in Heller, that these laws violate all three tests (the rational basis, intermediate scrutiny, and strict scrutiny standards) and accordingly find them unconstitutional. This might be an attractive option from their standpoint as it kicks the can down the road regarding which of the three tests has to be used and avoids in-fighting on which test is proper.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Looks like at least one of the justices may think it is a moot point.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/12/02/supr ... -argument/
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

mojo84 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:03 pm Looks like at least one of the justices may think it is a moot point.

It would appear that the city changed it's laws/rules after the case was taken to the Supreme Court. It also appears that this was done to get the case thrown out. I'm guessing it is due to fear NYC would lose the case. If the case is dropped before a ruling can be made, the city gets to keep it's other 2A infractions in place. If the court rules the way we would like, NYC could lose all of it's anti 2A laws. I believe the city is trying to maintain its power over the citizens by trying to get the case dropped.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

mojo84 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:03 pm Looks like at least one of the justices may think it is a moot point.

That's Ginsberg. She stopped being a real justice a long time ago, if she ever was one. She is an activist who happens to wear the robe of a SC justice.

Trump will replace her with an actual justice next term.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:04 pm

That's Ginsberg. She stopped being a real justice a long time ago, if she ever was one. She is an activist who happens to wear the robe of a SC justice.

I sure hope so. There’s no way she won’t retire within the next 5 years, but I also question how she’s still sitting on the stand today.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

jb2012 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:13 pm

I sure hope so. There’s no way she won’t retire within the next 5 years, but I also question how she’s still sitting on the stand today.
With her constant in and out of the hospital over the last year I highly doubt she has a year much less 5 years!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

According to the article, it may also be Roberts.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”