Any pilots in here?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 2

Any pilots in here?

Post by Killadocg23 »

Just wondering if there are any pilots in here. I’ve always been interested in flying and don’t know how to get into it . I am in the Houston/Cypress area.

mm3815
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Any pilots in here?

Post by mm3815 »

I just passed my instrument checkride earlier this month in the garland/ dallas area!

6L105

Post by 6L105 »

Yep. Too lazy to work, too chicken to steal. Retired now, but spent many years flying in the military, then federal law enforcement. Are you interested in flying as a hobby or as a career?

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Almost all flight centers have some sort of introductory lesson at a discount. They will go over the whole procedure and cost with you.I have had intro lessons in a Cessna and in an Ultralight. The ultralights are the cheapest way to get into flying, but they are also the most limited. The aircraft are limited to around 250 pounds empty and 500 gross weight, with power and fuel restrictions. The advantage is no pilots license is required but there is not much other than recreational flying you can do.

Next up is the light sport pilot, which may get expanded quite a bit in the next few years. It is currently limited to a two seat single engine plane with a 1320 pound gross weight. Limits on power and speed also. Other than no night or IFR flying, some of these planes can do everything you might want them to. People do fly them cross country, but in fairly short hops usually.

There is a recreational pilot's license which lets you fly most small airplanes. I am not sure of what the difference between it and the regular private pilot's license is besides requiring 5 less hours of lessons. Then there is the private pilot's license which will let you fly almost any airplane with the right training and certifications.

I looked at learning to fly a long time ago so some of this might be outdated. I couldn't afford it the first time I thought about it so I got into flying radio controlled planes instead. I really enjoy flying models and there are some real advantages to them. Funny thing is it did not take me long to spend more with models than I would have spent learning to fly anyway. Recent FAA rules may make this hobby die in the near future, as they try to rein in the people who are going nuts with r/c drones. I am certain it is a very small minority of the drone pilots but they are making big news and giving all pilots a bad reputation by flying near passenger carrying aircraft and taking photos of other people's land and the people themselves.
Steve Rothstein

MadMonkey
Posts in topic: 3

Post by MadMonkey »

My dad was a pilot and I've wanted to get my license for years. My current company has told me that they may be willing to help pay for it since they want me to start flying a larger unmanned system in the future, so I might actually have a shot at it soon.

Oddly enough my FFL messaged me a week ago and invited me and a couple of other friends to spend a few hours in a Gulfstream simulator at FlightSafety DFW. I hadn't flown a plane in 20 years, and that was just a few minutes of stick time in a Grob 103 sailplane so I jumped at it.

Did a lot better than expected, especially for being a business jet sim :thumbs2: Made me feel better about pursuing it.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My son sent me this video link this morning. It’s a military flight video game, but apparently it’s the most detailed one ever devised, and a lot of the players are themselves retired fighter pilots etc. It requires actual learning of how to fly and fight the various aircraft and weapons systems, and they behave just like in the real world instead like the fantasy in some game-designer's head. It looked pretty interesting to me. No, it’s not real world flying, but it seemed liked a pretty good virtual imitation of it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Easypick

Post by Easypick »

I trained in Cypress at Weiser Airpark at the ripe "old" age of 41. Sadly it is now closed. I got my instrument rating too. I would suggest taking an introductory flight (Discovery Flight) Try the Flight School either at Conroe or Brookshire.

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

The FAA took away by license when I tried to land on runway 37.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

howdy

Post by howdy »

Flying is expensive. I am a retired Delta Captain but I am also a CFII, single and multi engine. Have the available reserves (funds) to get through your first solo. If you take a lesson today then again in 10 days then again in a week, you will forget/lose some skills you gained in the past lessons. Go out there 7/8 days in a row or as close together as possible and get past that solo. It will be cheaper in the long run if you do it that way. Try to find an experienced Instructor. New guys might be great but it takes time to learn how to teach and what new students respond to. Don't use an Instructor that tries to impress you with their skills. Flying is a serious endeavor and requires discipline and dedication to continued learning. The learning process does not end with the Private License. The expense does not end there either.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man »

OneGun wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:53 am The FAA took away by license when I tried to land on runway 37.
https://aviationhumor.net/category/runway-37-comics/ :mrgreen:

I had to actually look up Runway 37 references.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

easy10

Post by easy10 »

Yep, not current now though. Four of us went in together and shared cost of ownership. King for the week. The King called all the shots for week he had it. Simple, alternated weeks, no adjustments for holidays, just your luck or not. Find a FBO, work on your ratings and network. A friend may tap your shoulder and need you to ferry. Good luck.

oohrah
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oohrah »

I am a partner in a Grumman Cheetah, and built my own EAB helicopter. It's a great job, but expensive just for fun, unless you build your own (and then still expensive :) )

Lots of good advice above, so I won't repeat. Will just emphasize, if you do take the plunge, bank the cost of the license and fly regularly. Many new students start out trying to piecemeal it, and never finish.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

sawdust

Post by sawdust »

Your main question being essentially, "how do I get started", the short answer is, "Just do it." In any new endeavor, the 1st step is generally the most difficult. However, once you put yourself into that endeavor, you will be pulled into the process.

Pick any airport in the Houston area (other than Hobby or Intercontinental), and there is likely a flight training operation there. Many of them offer what is called a "Discovery Flight" for a fixed fee. Usually, such flights last at least 30 minutes, but often are longer. It's partly a sight-seeing flight and partly an introduction to flying.

Go to an airport, let the person that you encounter know what you are inquiring about, talk to pilots, talk to an instructor, then schedule that 1st lesson.
Although there will be a few initial considerations to make, do not try to formulate an entire plan of action at the very beginning of that very first step.

1st consideration:
1)Take lessons from a busy, close in airport (i.e. Ellington on the south side, David Wayne Hooks on the North side)
2) Or take lessons from a smaller, quieter airport (Pearland Regional on the south, Conroe on the far north, LaPorte on the east, several to choose from on the west).

OR
Plan on the short drive from Houston up to Bryan, and I will be happy to give you an intro flight, and talk with you about the training process and some of the considerations that go into that training.

Return to “Off-Topic”