More Ruger innovation with a 5.7 pistol.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mrvmax
Posts in topic: 1

More Ruger innovation with a 5.7 pistol.

Post by mrvmax »

It looks a bit goofy but it’s about half of an FN:

https://www.ruger.com/products/ruger57/ ... 16401.html

ELB

Re: More Ruger innovation with a 5.7 pistol.

Post by ELB »

Looks remarkably similar to the FN 5.7 pistol. I am surprised there's enough market for 5.7 that somebody else made a new pistol for it, but more power to them.
USAF 1982-2005

philip964

Post by philip964 »

mrvmax wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:34 pm It looks a bit goofy but it’s about half of an FN:

I was hoping someone would make a carry sized pistol with the 5.7 ammo.

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

Hmmmm I might have to grab one of those...
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

mrvmax wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:34 pm It looks a bit goofy but it’s about half of an FN

About as goofy looking as the FN, at half the FN's price.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

strogg

Post by strogg »

That looks super neat. I approve. If only it takes the same mags as the Five-seveN.

It'd be great to see a side-by-side comparison of the two pistols. I love my FN. Despite its super awkward grip and expensive ammo, it is a pleasure to shoot.

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

GrabaGun shows it out of stock and shows a price of $649.99 vs msrp of $799.99. Wonder how long before it hits retailers.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

5.7 is a soft-armor defeating round (hence its entire purpose)... Not sure if you guys consider that a plus or not.

I'm glad FN finally has a competitor in the field, though.

Lena

Post by Lena »

Something I would have minus zero interest in.
Stay Safe

K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by K-Texas »

This one caught me by surprise in coming just a few weeks after I had mentioned that I expected a 10mm PC would be the next product offering. Still think so, just after the 57. I may be proven wrong again if they introduce a 5.7 x 28mm PC. The reality is that this is a niche cartridge. I could not even imagine owning a firearm chambered for the round if I didn't handload. But, it is a much less expensive alternative to the FN 57. Then there was the other totally unexpected use of the frame/action coming from the Security 9. Does this elude to something going on at Ruger in regard to their poly-frame, striker-fired pistols?

From what I've heard, the innovations that have come in Ruger's poly-frame .45 ACPs (since the P-97), the mating of parts for the camming action for unlocking, something I've experienced first-hand with the P-345, combined with the shaping of the barrel's chamber-block that creates a braking action with the American; the difference in recoil is perceptible. My statement to Ruger was that if it's as good as advertised, why weren't they confident enough to chamber the American Pistol in 10mm?

JMO, but that appears to be where the market is headed. I think Springfield Armory put an exclamation point on that when they introduced the XDm in 10mm. Like 'em or not, a great deal of credit should go to Glock for keeping the G20 and it's variants on the market. I'd now have a hard time believing that SIG and S&W aren't developing a poly-frame, striker-fired 10mm addition to the P320 and M&P lines. I'd very much like to see a more reasonable price for the Grand Power P40L with the 5" rotary lock-up barrel. The standard 4.25" model costs more than an XDm. And they're going through a distributor change in case you've been looking. If Ruger chambers the PC in 10mm as well as the American Pistol, I'll own one of each. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

txhighlander

Post by txhighlander »

Got to see one today, feels better than I remember the FN does. I didn't pull the trigger on it because it had already sold and the owner hadn't made it back to pick it up. $599 plus tax. Don't know if I liked it well enough to consider it but it's nice. Sights are easy to pick up and the thumb safety is large, no problems operating it. There is a waiting list for them at my local gun shop, Ruger may have a hit on their hands.
Truth against the world

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

txhighlander wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:23 pm Got to see one today, feels better than I remember the FN does. I didn't pull the trigger on it because it had already sold and the owner hadn't made it back to pick it up. $599 plus tax. Don't know if I liked it well enough to consider it but it's nice. Sights are easy to pick up and the thumb safety is large, no problems operating it. There is a waiting list for them at my local gun shop, Ruger may have a hit on their hands.
Very good price according to what I'm seeing. As of this moment, Bud's is showing it as a "reserve" item at $679. It will definitely make a dent in the 5.7 x 28mm market. The problem is the market, itself. How many potential buyers are there for a 5.7 x 28mm pistol? The caliber hasn't had much impact with handloaders, and shooters whom are willing to pay the price for factory loads that are all essentially premium price are a rather small minority. That might change, and there's certainly no reason why it can't be handloaded, although it can be finicky regarding the pressure profile of propellants. But like the .357 SIG, bottle-neck cartridges suffer from a lack of carbide pistol dies. There are very few options for the .357 SIG, and I'm not aware of any for the 5.7 x 28mm. Maybe someone else will post if they're aware of any. I would also consider that the .22 TCM is a part of this market as well, and Rock Island pistols chambered for it are reasonable enough in price, plus they have several combination 1911 packages that include a 9 x 19mm barrel along with the .22 TCM barrel. Has the .22 TCM had an impact with handloaders? Enough so that Western developed a propellant specifically for it with Accurate TCM.

Using steel dies adds up to increased handloading time because each case must be lubricated, and even then it can be problematic for those who don't have a good handle on lubing cases. Just check a rifle cartridge reloading forum sometime for stuck case discussions. Reloading rifle cartridges is very detailed oriented for me, and I don't get in any hurry. For those who load bottle-necked pistol cartridges with steel dies, a good spray lube like Hornady One-Shot is likely the best option.

Once Ruger catches up with the initial demand it's gonna be interesting to see how sales go from there. A poly-frame 10mm would have been an automatic success for them so long as the pistol introduced is sound in reliability and accuracy, and 10mm is very much a handloaders pistol cartridge, and I still expect we'll see one sometime this year. As I was told in an email from Ruger CS, there are several projects in the works right now that they can't discuss.

I have nothing against the cartridge itself except that I know these .224" rounds tend to be very loud. The attractiveness for these cartridges is lower recoil for those who can tolerate the volume. The intent of the cartridge and the shoulder fired weapon that FNH first chambered for it was about defeating body armor in CQC. That does, however, require bullets that won't be available to the handloader, or in factory loaded ammo for the civilian market. FMJ bullets are probably the best option for that if it's the intended purpose. I see it as a niche cartridge, in a very niche market. I think Ruger will need to offer the PC carbine in 5.7 x 28mm to make this pay off. Even at $599, the Ruger 57 is still in the range of a Rock Island 1911 in .22 TCM. If it catches on, it will likely be an introduction to handloading for quite a few buyers, which is never a bad thing. ;-)
Last edited by K-Texas on Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

Did it again!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”