No Iron Sights
10%

Total votes: 10

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Red Dot Sights Co-Witness

Post by carlson1 »

I have been using a RDS on my pistol now for a few months. There is a lot of great information in Mr. Cotton’s thread. If you have not red it you should.
https://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php ... t=Red+dots

I didn’t want to take anything away from his thread, but I have a question and wanted some different opinions. Do you like Absolute Witness or the lower 1/3 Witness?

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Red Dot Sights Co-Witness

Post by troglodyte »

I don't have a red dot on a pistol but I do on a couple of ARs. On the ARs I have flip up sights that are absolute but I don't run them at the same time. If I loose the RD then the BUIS pop up in the middle of the tube and all looks fine. On a handgun I don't want the stationary iron sights to be in the way. If they are 1/3 then they are easy to ignore when using the RD but are still available if there is a failure. When I tried stationary sights on my rifles I went with a 1/3 for the same reason.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

troglodyte wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:57 pm I don't have a red dot on a pistol but I do on a couple of ARs. On the ARs I have flip up sights that are absolute but I don't run them at the same time. If I loose the RD then the BUIS pop up in the middle of the tube and all looks fine. On a handgun I don't want the stationary iron sights to be in the way. If they are 1/3 then they are easy to ignore when using the RD but are still available if there is a failure. When I tried stationary sights on my rifles I went with a 1/3 for the same reason.
That makes 100% sense to me. That is what I am battling. I don’t like the RD setting on my front sight.

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I have a Canik TP9SFX with a Trijicon SRO on it. The mounting plate removes the rear sight on this model of gun. The front post is not visible with the red dot on it. With no available rear sight I didn't see the point of putting a taller front sight on. So I effectively run with no iron/back up at all. I'm not worried, generally speaking pistol distances I can point shoot and hit a torso up to 15 yards. The stats say that engagements are going to be way closer than that, personal experience corroborates that.

Still waiting on my custom holster, so still carrying either a G17 or a SW MP Compact with XS Big Dots for the time being.
NRA Benefactor Member

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cmgee67 »

From what I understand is an absolute co-witness allows you to find the dot easier. You just present looking for the front sight and your dot appears. That way you are not searching for the dot. That all being said I like lower 1/3 on my rifle with Irons.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I can’t speak to an RDS on a pistol, but on my SBR, they fully cowitness.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Trijicon RMR on the FN 509. I have it set to lower 1/3rd and like it very much. On the rare occasion I can't 'find the dot', I just use the irons and it pops back up, just above my sightline.

I'm always finding the dot now, though it took a good 1500 rounds to get there.

Love the RMR

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cmgee67 »

I’m looking forward to the new holosun offerings

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

It seems like the two most favorites for defense pistol is the aTrijicon RMR and the Delta Point Pro. I have a Romeo 1 on a Sig P320 X Carry/Compact. It seems to work just fine. I am not one that beats them on the wall or 2x4’s etc.... I have racked it several times on my holster or belt.

Return to “Test Area”