Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
pcernuch
Posts in topic: 5

Winchester Gun Safe not working

Post by pcernuch »

Good afternoon gents,

So I have a Winchester safe and after much research I believe the LaGard 3710 keypad has given up the ghost. I enter my code, (same code for 10+ years) I get the 2 beeps that it accepts the code, but when I turn the handle it will not open. The Winchester customer service is less than stellar(I’m also impatient as I can’t get in my safe) but no one answers the phone, they want everything done via email. I’d like this solved faster if at all possible. Anyone here a locksmith with a Lagard keypad laying around? From my readings I can just swap on a good keypad and it will open. Thanks so much for any and all suggestions.

God bless.

SigM4
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Winchester Gun Safe not working

Post by SigM4 »

If you're in DFW and don't get resolution soon give Michael's Key in Colleyville (this is the location for their gun safe sales) a call @ (817) 581-8992. Ask for Jay, he's great to deal with and I'm sure can get you hooked up in no time.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Topic author
pcernuch

Post by pcernuch »

Excellent!! That is also exactly what the gent at Bass Pro told me this weekend. Thank you.

God bless.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

pcernuch wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:36 pm Excellent!! That is also exactly what the gent at Bass Pro told me this weekend. Thank you.

God bless.
Please keep is posted on results. Thanks.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
pcernuch

Post by pcernuch »

Hi there! Will do. Still no email back from Winchester safe and they 100% DO NOT Answer the phone. I’ve researched exhaustively and decided my first course of action will be to replace the known to fail keypad. I ordered one online from a place in KY, I felt great about it as when I called and spoke to the gent he was basically finishing my sentences for me describing what the safe/keypad was doing. It should be here this weekend, I’ll update once it arrives.

God bless.

Zombified
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Zombified »

Did you try putting a new battery? Has to be one that still has a few years left on expiration date and either Duracell or energizer. I had a similar issue and tried several other "new" batteries from other brands and couldn't get safe to open. Brand new Duracell fixed problem right away.

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Zombified wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:24 pm Did you try putting a new battery? Has to be one that still has a few years left on expiration date and either Duracell or energizer. I had a similar issue and tried several other "new" batteries from other brands and couldn't get safe to open. Brand new Duracell fixed problem right away.
Actually what I was just about to suggest. Sounds silly, I know. My son had exactly the same problem with his safe. Everything seemed to work, got the two beeps like normal, just would not open up. He called me, and I made that suggestion to put a good, fresh battery in. I could almost see his eyes rolling when I said it, but he tried it just to make the old man happy. Fresh, new Enegizer = problem solved.

We hope it works out that well for you. Let us know how it goes! Good luck! :tiphat:

Topic author
pcernuch

Post by pcernuch »

well, the UPS man showed up yesterday with my new keypad, unhook and reconnect and we are back in business!! Also, i tried about 5 or 6 9v batteries to make sure that wasn't my issue.

Sidenote: still no answer at the given #'s for Winchester, followed their instructions and they never returned my email either. I would not recommend Winchester Safe or Granite Security out of Mansfield to my worst enemy.

god bless.

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Glad you got it fixed. That certainly ad to be a great relief! And good information for us to keep in the back of our minds. :clapping:

But, at the same time, you're telling me that all I have to do to open someone else's electronic combo gun safe is just take my own keypad with my own combination with me, unplug yours and plug in mine? :banghead:

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

pcernuch wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:45 pm well, the UPS man showed up yesterday with my new keypad, unhook and reconnect and we are back in business!! Also, i tried about 5 or 6 9v batteries to make sure that wasn't my issue.

Sidenote: still no answer at the given #'s for Winchester, followed their instructions and they never returned my email either. I would not recommend Winchester Safe or Granite Security out of Mansfield to my worst enemy.

god bless.
This kinda bothers me. If a,l you had to do was pull your old safe and put the new key pad on, I wonder if one pulled from another safe and put on that one, with any code, would activate the lock? Hopefully there is more to it than that.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

In most electronic locks, and I assume the ones on the Winchester safes, the combination is stored in the lock. I bet we learn he entered the same combination only using the new keypad.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Boxerrider wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:50 pm In most electronic locks, and I assume the ones on the Winchester safes, the combination is stored in the lock. I bet we learn he entered the same combination only using the new keypad.
I think that was what he meant... the keypad is just supposed to send the info the the lock... that way every time a keypad malfs [which is far too often] you don't have to drill the safe.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

pcernuch wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:45 pm well, the UPS man showed up yesterday with my new keypad, unhook and reconnect and we are back in business!! Also, i tried about 5 or 6 9v batteries to make sure that wasn't my issue.

god bless.
Great news. Glad you were able to get it fixed, even though Winchester Safes have not been helpful.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Zombified wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:24 pm Did you try putting a new battery? Has to be one that still has a few years left on expiration date and either Duracell or energizer. I had a similar issue and tried several other "new" batteries from other brands and couldn't get safe to open. Brand new Duracell fixed problem right away.
This. I am storing a friend's gun safe and guns at my house while he’s away. The battery had enough juice to make the beeps, but not enough to unlock the safe, so I couldn’t put his guns in there. I thought I was going to have to have the safe drilled, but the locksmith I called told me to just put a new battery in it. Boom. Problem solved.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

flechero wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:39 am
Boxerrider wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:50 pm In most electronic locks, and I assume the ones on the Winchester safes, the combination is stored in the lock. I bet we learn he entered the same combination only using the new keypad.
I think that was what he meant... the keypad is just supposed to send the info the the lock... that way every time a keypad malfs [which is far too often] you don't have to drill the safe.
:thumbs2: :tiphat:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”