Corona Virus (COVID-19)( SARS-CoV-2) from China: Its going to be bad.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Corona Virus (COVID-19) from China: Its going to be bad.

Post by warnmar10 »

SQLGeek wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:18 am
jason812 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:06 am
Dr. at White House press conference. She was asked the mortality rate and said 0.7%.
That may be her estimate once it's all said and done but that's not the current rate based on known cases. I'd like to know what context that was given by her.
I calculated the US.
115 current deaths out of 6,508 cases puts it currently at 1.76%.

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en
This egregiously false premise has led to the greatest panic in world history.
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/0 ... n-history/

jason812
Posts in topic: 33

Post by jason812 »

I calculated the US.

Apparently I didn't move my decimal. Oops.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Excaliber »

Amazon is halting shipment of "nonessential" items through April 5.

Details here.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 105

Post by Paladin »

Excaliber wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:11 am Amazon is halting shipment of "nonessential" items through April 5.

Details here.
The longer version is a bit more descriptive:
Amazon will now focus on delivering products in the following categories:

baby products;
health and household (including personal-care appliances);
beauty and personal care;
industrial and scientific, and
pet supplies.

“For products other than these, we have temporarily disabled shipment creation,” the Amazon memo continues. “We are taking a similar approach with retail vendors.”

It appears the suspension of certain items only applies to items that are “fulfilled by Amazon.” Orders that are fulfilled by the reseller will continue as usual.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 12

Post by ScottDLS »

Dr. at White House press conference. She was asked the mortality rate and said 0.7%.
That may be her estimate once it's all said and done but that's not the current rate based on known cases. I'd like to know what context that was given by her.
I calculated the US.

WORLDWIDE outside of Wuhan was what she said.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Rafe
Posts in topic: 79

Post by Rafe »

Paladin wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:19 am
Excaliber wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:11 am Amazon is halting shipment of "nonessential" items through April 5.

Details here.
The longer version is a bit more descriptive:
Amazon will now focus on delivering products in the following categories:

baby products;
health and household (including personal-care appliances);
beauty and personal care;
industrial and scientific, and
pet supplies.

“For products other than these, we have temporarily disabled shipment creation,” the Amazon memo continues. “We are taking a similar approach with retail vendors.”

It appears the suspension of certain items only applies to items that are “fulfilled by Amazon.” Orders that are fulfilled by the reseller will continue as usual.
The public facing Amazon blog, applicable paragraphs updated yesterday, can be found here: https://blog.aboutamazon.com/company-ne ... y-covid-19. The Breitbart article references an undisclosed Amazon internal memo, but the public announcement doesn't mention an April 5 date anywhere.

I get the feeling that April 5 five was an internal estimate, not a policy. They're trying to rapidly hire a boatload of people, so maybe April 5 is a shifting guess.

Just FWIW, I use Amazon a lot and have an affiliate account--don't sell stuff through them, but advertise. In my little corner of Texas at least, the U.S. Postal Service has become so completely unreliable that after pressing Amazon about it, they put me on a list that stops USPS shipments...but only "fulfilled by Amazon" orders, not things shipped directly by a 3rd party vendor. After three completely lost USPS shipments from Amazon in 12 months, one of them a $140 refund from Amazon, I guess they decided they would be happy to flag my account as "use Amazon Logistics or UPS only." I assume others who've had lost and refunded USPS shipments can request to be put on the same list.

I confirmed the "only on fulfilled by Amazon" orders thing by accident. Ordered a small water bottle spigot two weeks ago and the Ohio company shipped directly, with USPS. My fault for not checking the "fulfilled by" status closely. You guessed it. USPS says it was delivered, but I was at home on the day claimed and my security cameras back me up that no postal worker ever approached my house that day. That was only an $8 order, so I'm just writing that one off other than my public service announcement here that at some point the federal government needs to scrap the USPS as it exists today and fix it.

The worst USPS foul-up for me was in fall of 2018 when my county property tax bill was never delivered, and was returned to the county. They have a policy that the returned mail signalled I didn't really live in the house, so they removed my homestead exemption...which I didn't realize until I went online to pay my 2018 property taxes...and the county removing the exemption also meant the exemption no longer showed on the school district taxes either. After several calls, the end result was that I paid over $1,500 more in taxes than I owed and had to refile for the homestead exemption with explanation and utility bills showing that I really did still live in the house. Finally got the money refunded in October 2019. All because of the U.S. Postal Service probably sticking that 2018 property tax bill in someone else's mailbox who probably wrote "return to sender, not at this address" on the envelope, and back to the count tax assessor it went.

So if you're "social distancing" (wonder if that will be the word of the year for 2020) staying at home and ordering online, Sam's Club only uses FedEx (to my knowledge) and you can ask Amazon to stop shipping to you via USPS. Because if you're self-quarantining and hours matter to you receiving your shipment, the U.S. Postal Service is days away and in some other neighborhood across town.
:mad5
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 120

Post by Grayling813 »

longtooth wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:44 am Has anyone here on this board had or currently have this viris???

Does anyone here know personally (not heard of...) someone who has it or had it.???

Does anyone here know someone personally that has died from it???
https://www.dshs.texas.gov/news/updates ... oronavirus

As of yesterday, Texas Dept of State Health Services listed 64 confirmed cases in the state, with 1 death.

With LTC licensees approximately 5% of the estimated 30 million residents of Texas, and the majority of those not active on this forum, I'd say the odds of anyone on the forum having Covid-19 or knowing someone who has/had Covid-19 at this point is pretty low.

There have been 1,268 people tested according to Texas DSHS. As a friend in the medical profession noted this week, testing is ramping up and the ability to confirm cases is growing, so thee may be increasing numbers of positive results for those who are exhibiting symptoms.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Rafe wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:23 am
Just FWIW, I use Amazon a lot and have an affiliate account--don't sell stuff through them, but advertise. In my little corner of Texas at least, the U.S. Postal Service has become so completely unreliable that after pressing Amazon about it, they put me on a list that stops USPS shipments...but only "fulfilled by Amazon" orders, not things shipped directly by a 3rd party vendor. After three completely lost USPS shipments from Amazon in 12 months, one of them a $140 refund from Amazon, I guess they decided they would be happy to flag my account as "use Amazon Logistics or UPS only." I assume others who've had lost and refunded USPS shipments can request to be put on the same list.

I confirmed the "only on fulfilled by Amazon" orders thing by accident. Ordered a small water bottle spigot two weeks ago and the Ohio company shipped directly, with USPS. My fault for not checking the "fulfilled by" status closely. You guessed it. USPS says it was delivered, but I was at home on the day claimed and my security cameras back me up that no postal worker ever approached my house that day. That was only an $8 order, so I'm just writing that one off other than my public service announcement here that at some point the federal government needs to scrap the USPS as it exists today and fix it.

The worst USPS foul-up for me was in fall of 2018 when my county property tax bill was never delivered, and was returned to the county. They have a policy that the returned mail signalled I didn't really live in the house, so they removed my homestead exemption...which I didn't realize until I went online to pay my 2018 property taxes...and the county removing the exemption also meant the exemption no longer showed on the school district taxes either. After several calls, the end result was that I paid over $1,500 more in taxes than I owed and had to refile for the homestead exemption with explanation and utility bills showing that I really did still live in the house. Finally got the money refunded in October 2019. All because of the U.S. Postal Service probably sticking that 2018 property tax bill in someone else's mailbox who probably wrote "return to sender, not at this address" on the envelope, and back to the count tax assessor it went.

So if you're "social distancing" (wonder if that will be the word of the year for 2020) staying at home and ordering online, Sam's Club only uses FedEx (to my knowledge) and you can ask Amazon to stop shipping to you via USPS. Because if you're self-quarantining and hours matter to you receiving your shipment, the U.S. Postal Service is days away and in some other neighborhood across town.
:mad5
USPS cannot be depended upon, even with priority mail tracking, to deliver packages accurately and on time. My latest example was on Saturday when a priority package was supposed to be delivered. It never showed up...online status went back to "In Transit" instead of "Out for Delivery".
The package showed up on Monday. It was raining Saturday, but not on Monday...I suspect the carrier didn't want to drag their lazy fanny out of their vehicle in the rain and carry the package to my door.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 571

Post by philip964 »

March 13, 2020- 137,000 world, 5000 dead, 1700 in the US. Almost 15,000 in Italy. China is still holding near 80,000

March 16, 2020- 169,387 world, 6513 dead, 3774 in US. 24,745 in Italy with 1809 deaths. China is still holding near 80,000. Texas has 77 Houston at 30

March 17, 2020- 196,639 world. 7893 dead. 5894 in US. 32,506 in Italy with 2503 deaths. Houston at 36.

March 18, 2020- 204,277 world. 8,246 dead. 6519 in US. 31,506 in Italy with 2503 deaths. 81,102 in China. Texas has 132 Houston at 39 +3

For those who enjoy math.

In worse news

https://www.click2houston.com/news/loca ... n-workers/

Halliburton furloughs 3500 workers in Houston.
Last edited by philip964 on Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 105

Post by Paladin »

Coronavirus deaths in the USA are EXCEEDING {natural news} original pandemic projection model by nearly 25%

I believe Trump and the Governor are taking the proper measures at this time.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 28

Post by Flightmare »

Grayling813 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:27 am
longtooth wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:44 am Has anyone here on this board had or currently have this viris???

Does anyone here know personally (not heard of...) someone who has it or had it.???

Does anyone here know someone personally that has died from it???
https://www.dshs.texas.gov/news/updates ... oronavirus

As of yesterday, Texas Dept of State Health Services listed 64 confirmed cases in the state, with 1 death.

With LTC licensees approximately 5% of the estimated 30 million residents of Texas, and the majority of those not active on this forum, I'd say the odds of anyone on the forum having Covid-19 or knowing someone who has/had Covid-19 at this point is pretty low.

There have been 1,268 people tested according to Texas DSHS. As a friend in the medical profession noted this week, testing is ramping up and the ability to confirm cases is growing, so thee may be increasing numbers of positive results for those who are exhibiting symptoms.
I've seen 2 separate reports of deaths in Texas;

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus ... s/2333046/

https://dshs.texas.gov/news/releases/2020/20200317.aspx
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Flightmare wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:03 am I've seen 2 separate reports of deaths in Texas;

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus ... s/2333046/

https://dshs.texas.gov/news/releases/2020/20200317.aspx
There's so much information out with conflicting numbers, it's hard to know which agency to believe is accurate. Add in once a day updates to "offical" numbers from WHO, CDC and Texas Health, the media gets new info out before any agency updates their numbers.

Will be checking to see if today's noon update at Texas Health website shows 2 deaths.

Rafe
Posts in topic: 79

Post by Rafe »

In just-ended press conference, Cuomo announced New York statewide order that all nonessential businesses (evidently a list of what is and isn't essential is to be published this afternoon) may have no more than 50% of their employees report to work. All other employees can work from home, but can't go into the business's location(s).

I can think of a whole lot of businesses that would be classified as nonessential, but that can't function with work-from-home employees. It might take longer than the outright closure order for restaurants and bars, but if other states follow New York, that could effectively shut-down a boatload of small and even mid-size businesses. And with the Dow diving another 1,400 so far today--we're under 20,000 now folks--the unemployment rates in a month or two could look absolutely staggering.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

DocV
Posts in topic: 12

Post by DocV »

Waco has closed restaurants and bars. Five area residents are listed as having Covid-19. One of the five was reported as infected outside of the county.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 40

Post by srothstein »

I just saw this page, with some interesting numbers. Supposedly updated each day by noon.

https://dshs.texas.gov/news/updates.shtm#coronavirus

I should point out that this is based on confirmed cases from lab testing. Many other sources are reporting "presumed" positive cases. I believe the presumed positive means they had flu-like symptoms (or COVID-19-like symptoms, which are pretty much the same) and tested negative for the flu. Presumed positive inflates the numbers and helps scare people. A lack of testing ability makes the confirmed cases lower and causes doubt about the presumed positive numbers.

I believe the end result is that we just don't know enough about the virus and actual cases yet to come to ANY rational decision. To me, that means we should take some reasonable precautions. Many of the suggested precautions and the mandatory orders seem a little extreme to me for the current knowledge. Of course, they are not extreme if the worst case scenario comes about.

One thing I know for sure is that in the relatively near future, the problem will pass and the two sides will still be arguing over the precautions. One side will be saying it was an over reaction and the other will be saying the precautions worked and that was why it was so light a problem.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “Off-Topic”