Coronapocalypse Projects & Pastimes

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Rafe
Posts in topic: 11

Re: Coronapocalypse Projects & Pastimes

Post by Rafe »

AndyC wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:13 pm I'm building a tube-amplifier (guitar) from a kit - I've never done anything like this in my life. I had to make a jig out of scrap wood just to hold it as the chassis constantly needs to be flipped-over....

They call these "hand-wired" amps because there's no printed-circuit board in sight - just these old-style turrets sticking up from an insulated board onto which the caps/resistors/diodes are hand-wired then soldered.
O.K. That's the coolest thing I've seen this year. Seriously.

I think we need to officially dub you Andy "B.B." C as an homage to one of the fathers of the electric guitar, B.B. King.
:tiphat:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Mel
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mel »

Cleaning up my shop, getting everything set up to start my 9th airplane build.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

I'm working more than normal right now so between that and family, I'm pretty well tapped by the end of the day.

Looks like AR parts are still obtainable. Maybe I'll finally finish that build I've been working on forever.

I'd like to reload more but not sure there's much point in it right now as I'm expecting we're going to get the shelter in place order any day now.

I guess I could look for another project for my Raspberry Pi. Now may not be a bad time to try and get a certification out of the way either.
Psalm 91:2

kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

I'm fortunate in that I have the ability to keep working from home so that'll help. My wife and I were going to do some house shopping so we could get out of this apartment but the brakes were put down on that with the "shelter in place" excrement. So short answer, continue working, reloading, looking at homes online, and whiskey sipping.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Being in the a/c business, we are considered essential workers so we are working. If it gets past that point, I am cleaning out my garage to get back to my woodworking tools.
Funny, kids all move out so we set one room up as a craft room for the wife and the other as a spare bedroom. Then she decides if the kids come to visit, one spare room not big enough so we would just pay for a hotel room and she would turn the other room into an office for her craft stuff. 3 years later, she decides to use our sun room as an additional craft room. Now, thats 2 bedrooms @ 168 Square feet each and a 280 square foot sun room. 616 square foot of craft room. Can someone tell me how, 4 years later I barely have enough room in my garage to park my Harley much less get to my tools. I have come to the conclusion that my wife is a hoarder :biggrinjester: and I guess that makes me an enabler :shock:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
Rafe
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Rafe »

RPBrown wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:48 am Now, thats 2 bedrooms @ 168 Square feet each and a 280 square foot sun room. 616 square foot of craft room. Can someone tell me how, 4 years later I barely have enough room in my garage to park my Harley much less get to my tools. I have come to the conclusion that my wife is a hoarder :biggrinjester: and I guess that makes me an enabler :shock:
I feel ya! And your wife's probably not a hoarder. She's just a much better politician than you are. ;-)

It's a really strange thing that our collective "stuff" always seems to expand to fill the space we have. I guess unless you have more rooms than you can count. We don't have kids, but when picking houses years ago we opted for a smallish 4 bedroom over a 3 bedroom that was smaller but was much more open, felt a lot more spacious. We didn't need 4 bedrooms (we didn't think), but the cost per sq ft was heavily in favor of it over the 3 and we decided it would have better resale value, too.

Fast forward, and there's no place for me setup a reloading bench inside in the air conditioning. There's the master bedroom which also begrudgingly contains the gun safe, one bedroom that's a home office with desks for each of us, a bedroom that is the wife's "studio," and a spare bedroom that's left as that even though we only use it that way about twice a year. So somehow I managed to get a corner of the master bedroom and a desk in the tiny shared home office. My wife controls all the rest of the floor space.

Wait. She's right behind me, isn't she...
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KC5AV »

Working IT in the healthcare industry, I get to keep going to work each day.

During the ongoing panic, I did find some time this weekend to clear a spot in the garage and move my freezer from the back porch into said garage. I still need to move some stuff around to make it more permanent. The good news is, it’s in the way of everything, so the needed rearranging is likely to actually happen.
NRA lifetime member

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

philip964 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:05 pm One word:

Honeydews

“You have no excuse”
Yeah, tried to convince the wife that shelter in place meant I couldn't go out to do yardwork. Didn't even say anything, just used "the look".
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

flechero
Posts in topic: 4

Mag organizer

Post by flechero »

In my never ending attempt to get organized, I couldn't figure what to do with mags since the boxes I saw online were all really expensive. So I decided I could do better for less...

Bought a pair of full extension, ball bearing 18" drawer slides for $10 and 2 magnetic tool bars for $4.50 ea.... added 2 screws and walla: making good use of 2" of dead space on the side of safe shelves to hold mags that go with the pistols on each particular shelf shelf. Cost $10 with tax, and about 2 minutes to make.
Attachments
Magnet and drawer slide.jpg
Last edited by flechero on Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flechero

Post by flechero »

installed:
Attachments
mag slide.jpg

flechero

Post by flechero »

Sorry for 3 posts, pics kept disappearing before I posted

Extended from safe:
Attachments
extended mag slide.jpg

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KC5AV »

That’s pretty cool. Did you do the LED install yourself on the safe, or did it come with them?
NRA lifetime member

flechero

Post by flechero »

I did the LED's a couple years ago- they are just the patio LED's from Home Depot that came in like 20' strings. That was another budget project- I think they were about $18 ea.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I was going to sew some medical face masks, but I started coughing....so I decided not to pass on germs, instead I'm sitting and knitting.

Robert is working from home instead of commuting up to Austin, that's giving him an extra....3-4 hours a day, so he's finishing up his reloading table and I think he's working on another gun? not sure, I've lost track :smilelol5:
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”