FBI Report on active shooter incidents

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

FBI Report on active shooter incidents

Post by philip964 »

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/act ... 7.pdf/view

Don’t know if this has been posted before.

Seems to look favorably on armed citizens.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Re: FBI Report on active shooter incidents

Post by Paladin »

Looks like they revised their definition of "active shooter" to a more useful definition. The term "mass attacker" would be even better, as these attackers choose a variety of weapons.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Of note (for the 2 year period):

-Of the 10 citizen engagements, 80% were successful and ending the shooting
-Memorial Tire and Auto incident was the only recorded incident of a CCW holder being wounded (none were killed)
-The only security guard wounded was unarmed

Those are very impressive numbers!
Citizen Engagement and Casualties
In 10 incidents, citizens confronted the shooter. In eight of those incidents, one or more citizens safely
and successfully acted to end the shooting.
■ In four incidents, unarmed citizens confronted or persuaded the shooter to end the shooting. In two
incidents, school staff confronted and restrained the shooter. In one incident, the citizen used
his car to thwart the shooter. In one incident, the citizen persuaded the shooter to surrender via
telephone during a police chase; she ran up to the shooter’s car as he came to a stop and pulled him
out of his seat, bringing the chase to an end.
■ In four incidents, citizens possessing valid firearms permits successfully stopped the shooter. In
two incidents, citizens exchanged gunfire with the shooter. In two incidents, the citizens held the
shooter at gunpoint until law enforcement arrived.21
■ In one incident, a citizen possessing a valid firearms permit exchanged gunfire with the shooter,
causing the shooter to flee to another scene and continue shooting.22
■ In one incident, a citizen possessing a valid firearms permit was wounded before he could fire at the
shooter.23
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Paladin wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:48 pm Looks like they revised their definition of "active shooter" to a more useful definition. The term "mass attacker" would be even better, as these attackers choose a variety of weapons.
This study has been done by Texas State University. There is a poster of the study results from a presentation that is on the wall at the criminal justice building. I will try to get a picture of it to post.
Steve Rothstein

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

srothstein wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:00 am
Paladin wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:48 pm Looks like they revised their definition of "active shooter" to a more useful definition. The term "mass attacker" would be even better, as these attackers choose a variety of weapons.
This study has been done by Texas State University. There is a poster of the study results from a presentation that is on the wall at the criminal justice building. I will try to get a picture of it to post.
Is this it? https://www.activeattackdata.org/allattacks.html
I've been through some of the ALERRT stuff and thought it was pretty well done.

Jeff

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Boxerrider wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:05 am
Is this it? https://www.activeattackdata.org/allattacks.html
I've been through some of the ALERRT stuff and thought it was pretty well done.

Jeff
Thanks, Jeff. That was it. The poster I saw had 2019 added in and says the total as of then was 347 attacks. I don't think the rest of the statistics changed materially. The one really interesting (to me) point was that vehcile attacks remain an aberration but knife attacks, as mass attacks, have been growing fairly steadily since 2013.
Steve Rothstein

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Off topic, but I spent many hours/days in a building adjacent to the criminal justice building!

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”