Do you remember your very first time carrying after receiving your plastic?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
SigM4
Posts in topic: 2

Do you remember your very first time carrying after receiving your plastic?

Post by SigM4 »

No idea why I suddenly took a trip down memory lane this morning, but here goes.

Spring of 2005, I was finishing up my undergrad degree at St. Mary's University in San Antonio. I'd been shooting for a year or two but finally decided to get my CHL right after the new year. Took the class at Bullet Trap in SW SA in early February and sat in the old dilapidated trailer for the requisite time frame along with the seemingly quick shooting portion. Funny story, I scored at 249 on the shooting portion. When I pointed out the only round not in the 10 ring was a .45 while I was shooting a .40 (my neighbor forgot which target was his) the instructor just smiled and said "don't worry, you pass with either".

Plastic came fairly quickly and it was either the end of March or first of April when I ventured out for the first time. Lived with a buddy in some apartments off Medical Dr and Wurzbach in the Medical Center area. Decided I needed some groceries so off to the H-E-B at De Zavala and I-10 I went. I was carrying a newly acquired Sig 229 in .40 in a Galco Skyops holster in the small of the back position (this was before I knew better, either holster or carry position) attached to a crummy Foley's (remember them) belt. The weather was still chilly enough that I threw on a pull-over type windbreaker as it served as both cover garment and coat. As I entered the store I was sure everyone was looking. I tried to act cool but man was I ever nervous. I probably spend about 15-20 mins total in there shopping as it was a Saturday and per usual it was crowded. I hurriedly grabbed what I could remember I needed and made my way to the register. Paid without any fanfare and headed back to the truck. Once in the truck I realized how much I was sweating. Partly because the pull-over wasn't very breathable, but partly because I was so nervous.

It didn't take long for me to get past the nervousness and I started carrying more and more. I quickly upgraded my belt (biggest improvement) and my holster. That made the experience so much better. Along with that I started experimenting with carry position and realize that 3 o'clock wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Now 15 years later it's second nature. OC has alleviated a lot of the concerns of the past, but I'm sure it's still tough for folks making their first venture out.

So what about you, what was your first time carrying after getting your plastic like?
Last edited by SigM4 on Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

parabelum
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Do you remember your very first time carrying after receiving your plastic?

Post by parabelum »

Nope, I’m struggling with what the heck I ate yesterday for breakfast :waiting: :biggrinjester:

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

parabelum wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:30 am Nope, I’m struggling with what the heck I ate yesterday for breakfast :waiting: :biggrinjester:
:iagree:

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

The day my plastic came in, I was planning to go visit family. I recall checking the mail before I left for the afternoon and saw the envelope from DPS. I put my newly minted card in my wallet and put my pistol in my pocket (in a holster). It felt so foreign to me at the time. I ended up going to a park with my dad, my brother and a few of his kids. I was pushing and spinning them on different swings.

I do recall being hyper aware of what was in my pocket.
Did anyone notice the outline? Who knows? Nobody said anything.

After the park, we decided to go grab a bite to eat on the way home. My brother said he knew of a place that had good burgers. So we all loaded up and headed out. When we got to the place, I looked around for 30.06/30.07 signs and could not find any. I thought "great, I'm good to go". When we got closer, I saw the RED TABC sign. Told my family I'd be right back and had to do the walk of shame to lockup the "wireless peacekeeping device". This did serve as a good conversation with my family about some of the things LTCs need to be observant about in order to comply with Texas law.

These days, I use the Texas 30.06 app/website to do most of my pre-checking, before I even go to a location to eat. I still have conversations with the family about signage. Thanks SigM4 for bringing this up. Fun looking back on things and seeing how perception has evolved.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Rather than Wallyworld, I went to Costco because of Erik Scott. I just was sure everyone would notice.

So surprised.

Not a soul cared or looked or anything.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

While I don’t recall the details as well as the OP, but I too carried SOB at first. I remember constantly worrying that my shirttail would flip up, and expose my gun. I was constantly reaching back to make sure it was still covering. And making sure I didn’t bend over at the waist. It took a couple of weeks, before I was no longer cognizant of it.

I never found another IWB that was comfortable, so I started carrying OWB at 3:00 and never looked back.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Jusme wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:03 am While I don’t recall the details as well as the OP, but I too carried SOB at first.
Yeah, I'll admit I'd lost a lot of the details but for some reason this morning it was like I was back there again. Something must have triggered me... :mrgreen:
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My Wallywalk travails begin here: https://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic ... 54#p173454. Read on in that thread for the rest. But I posted that almost a month after I actually had my plastic in hand.

Now, that said, getting my plastic was NOT the first time in my life I ever carried a concealed handgun. It was merely the first time I ever did it legally. Between 4/2006 when I first arrived in Texas, and 3/2008 when I had a license in hand, I relied on the MPA to have a gun in my car, but I never walked around with it. Prior to moving here from California in April 2006, I had unlawfully carried a concealed handgun in California multiple times....not daily, but multiple times. For instance, I did so during the Rodney King rioting because my job was in downtown L.A., and we continued to operate during that time, occasionally mere blocks from where bad juju was happening. I judged that my permit was printed in the Bill of Rights.

So when I finally got my CHL, I recall that it wasn’t so much about getting used to the idea of carrying a gun, as it was about getting used to the relief at being able to do it lawfully. The actual carrying itself didn’t feel that strange because I’d done it before.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I bought my Para P14 in 1994, that's what i've carried until I bought my P12, the one thing I remember the most was adapting to the idea that there was no printing, as long as it was actually covered up I was legal!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

For my 41st birthday, I applied and took the class in Feb. of 96. I actually received my plastic in hand around June or July of 96. However, I did carry concealed since I was robbed at gunpoint in the mid 80's.
Now my brain hurts from thinking that far back. :mrgreen:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

I pocket carried my Kahr CM9 through Wally World to get the coveted nachos. Only to find out that mine didn't have them. :lol:

Edit: I think the Wally Walk rules need to be revised. Can't buy pistol ammo there anymore. :???:
Psalm 91:2

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

SQLGeek wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:51 pm Edit: I think the Wally Walk rules need to be revised. Can't buy pistol ammo there anymore. :???:
Yep; agreed.

My first carry, I think I went to a Boot Barn. But, wow; I can't really remember. I do remember that my first CC was a Glock 26. Changed my mind about that after the first few weeks, though.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:34 am My Wallywalk travails begin here: https://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic ... 54#p173454. Read on in that thread for the rest. But I posted that almost a month after I actually had my plastic in hand.

Now, that said, getting my plastic was NOT the first time in my life I ever carried a concealed handgun. It was merely the first time I ever did it legally. Between 4/2006 when I first arrived in Texas, and 3/2008 when I had a license in hand, I relied on the MPA to have a gun in my car, but I never walked around with it. Prior to moving here from California in April 2006, I had unlawfully carried a concealed handgun in California multiple times....not daily, but multiple times. For instance, I did so during the Rodney King rioting because my job was in downtown L.A., and we continued to operate during that time, occasionally mere blocks from where bad juju was happening. I judged that my permit was printed in the Bill of Rights.

So when I finally got my CHL, I recall that it wasn’t so much about getting used to the idea of carrying a gun, as it was about getting used to the relief at being able to do it lawfully. The actual carrying itself didn’t feel that strange because I’d done it before.
I was carrying concealed ten years before Texas implemented the CHL. Like you said, I just had to get use to carrying legally. I always called it carrying under the Twelve/six rules. Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6,

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”