Sheboygan, WI: Man chases cops with knives

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Sheboygan, WI: Man chases cops with knives

Post by Vol Texan »

https://www.fox6now.com/news/da-no-char ... -justified

SHEBOYGAN - The Sheboygan County district attorney has determined that the use of deadly force was reasonable and no charges will be filed in the officer-involved death of Kevan Ruffin Jr. on July 2. On Wednesday, Aug. 5, body camera video from the 45-second interaction was released by the state DOJ.

Sheboygan, WI

No charges will be filed against officer. Appears to be justifiable, but this was too close for comfort, in my opinion.

Glad the cop is unharmed.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sheboygan, WI: Man chases cops with knives

Post by puma guy »

I'm glad the officer is OK. IMHO he allowed the perp to get too close while initializing the contact and a taser is not the best choice for defense against a knife wielding individual. It seemed he was familiar with the man and may have opted for a non-lethal defensive weapon or perhaps the officer has been influenced by all the negative attacks on police using deadly force. It's hard to tell which rounds were hits, but I would think at least the first round hit considering the close range when the officer fired. I'm sure he hit him after the chase went across the street and the perp began to falter.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

Earlier coverage of the event:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/wisconsin-do ... VFllsJswZk

https://www.sheboyganpress.com/story/ne ... 362790002/

The dead guy had psychiatric issues, had been arrested several times but always released because of those issues, and his family apparently knew that recently "he was heading down a bad path," but the young cop in the video was supposed to somehow resolve this "non-violently" in just a few seconds.
"What's up with the system where they haven't realized he's going through all this?" [the dead guy's cousin Shem} Clayborn said, describing his cousin as a nonviolent person who was intelligent and funny but had a "very debilitating" disability.

Other family described Ruffin as a "teddy bear," a former cheerleader at South High who liked to teach himself languages, loved music and was an expert at helping polish a resume.

[Wisconsin ACLU] Executive director Chris Ott said there is a national pattern of police using excessive force during routine encounters with people of color, as well as those with mental health conditions, so it is important to know why Ruffin was killed by police instead of them handling it in a nonviolent way.
USAF 1982-2005

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

I have been doing an unofficial 'survey' since I started paying attention to and shooting guns in the early 80's. I am consistently amazed at the number of police officers that are left handed (shooters). I thought that left handedness was <10% of the population. It seem's every time I see armed LEO's, somewhere over 1/3 of them are wearing holster's on the left. Is it just because I'm right handed? Especially with semi-autos, it seems like the ejection port typically being on the right, that would make LEO's less likely to shoot left handed...

Of course, there's nothing wrong with it. It just surprises me.

ETA: At first. It appeared to me in the still shot of the YT video that the officer was holding his handgun in his left hand. Regardless, my observations still stand.
Last edited by ScottDLS on Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The still shot above looks like a right handed shooter.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

C-dub wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:18 pm The still shot above looks like a right handed shooter.
Yeah I looked again. Maybe I'll post my question some other thread. It just seems like I always spot the left holster wearing cops.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

ScottDLS wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:22 pm
C-dub wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:18 pm The still shot above looks like a right handed shooter.
Yeah I looked again. Maybe I'll post my question some other thread. It just seems like I always spot the left holster wearing cops.
I've seen a few actual lefties myself and one cross-draw rightie.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

ELB

Post by ELB »

The young cop was fortunate in he had a nice wide empty flat street with no traffic or obstacles, holes in the ground, etc to run around in. That would probably have been a very different story in an alley or other confined space.
USAF 1982-2005

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Police Officers are being forced to hesitate when their lives are in danger. This crap is going to start costing police their lives. It has to stop! This officer waited way to long before opening fire. He should not have even had the taser in his hand. Response to a guy welding a knife should always be a gun.

cirus

Post by cirus »

ScottDLS wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:07 pm I have been doing an unofficial 'survey' since I started paying attention to and shooting guns in the early 80's. I am consistently amazed at the number of police officers that are left handed (shooters). I thought that left handedness was <10% of the population. It seem's every time I see armed LEO's, somewhere over 1/3 of them are wearing holster's on the left. Is it just because I'm right handed? Especially with semi-autos, it seems like the ejection port typically being on the right, that would make LEO's less likely to shoot left handed...

ETA: At first. It appeared to me in the still shot of the YT video that the officer was holding his handgun in his left hand. Regardless, my observations still stand.
I'm left handed and the ejection port and where the brass flies makes not matter to me.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

cirus wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:26 pm
ScottDLS wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:07 pm I have been doing an unofficial 'survey' since I started paying attention to and shooting guns in the early 80's. I am consistently amazed at the number of police officers that are left handed (shooters). I thought that left handedness was <10% of the population. It seem's every time I see armed LEO's, somewhere over 1/3 of them are wearing holster's on the left. Is it just because I'm right handed? Especially with semi-autos, it seems like the ejection port typically being on the right, that would make LEO's less likely to shoot left handed...

I'm left handed and the ejection port and where the brass flies makes not matter to me.
I use to deer hunt with a lefty. He had a righty rifle. He always looked akward to me when he was aiming and firing it but he was a good shot with it. One thing he would do that use to bug me a little was to reach over the top of the rifle with his left hand to operate the bolt. Drove me nuts....LOL

Ed4032

Post by Ed4032 »

His cousin asked why the police could not have handled it in a nonviolent manner. That guy was planning on killing the officer. After watching the video I think the officer is lucky he is alive.
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

cirus

Post by cirus »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:30 pm
cirus wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:26 pm

I use to deer hunt with a lefty. He had a righty rifle. He always looked akward to me when he was aiming and firing it but he was a good shot with it. One thing he would do that use to bug me a little was to reach over the top of the rifle with his left hand to operate the bolt. Drove me nuts....LOL
Yeah I do the same thing with a bolt action. I'm left handed and when I see another lefty it looks weired to me. We live in a right handed world.

cirus

Post by cirus »

Ed4032 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:31 pm His cousin asked why the police could not have handled it in a nonviolent manner. That guy was planning on killing the officer. After watching the video I think the officer is lucky he is alive.
Thats not near as violent as it would have been had that been me. Cops need to start carrying shotguns. Some 00 buckshot or 3" magnum in the chest would have solved the problem quicker.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”