Is 650 too much for a gen 5 Glock 17?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

Is 650 too much for a gen 5 Glock 17?

Post by cmgee67 »

I know it is too much but do to the current market it is a good price considering I saw a Glock 19x for 1100$. I can get it today from my LGS and support my local shop. After tax it would be around 7. What say you? Who knows how long this scare will last and they are hard to find.

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Is 650 too much for a gen 5 Glock 17?

Post by mrvmax »

That's about the going price

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I do need and I don’t know when I’ll get another grab at one in the future of our country

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

It's a little much, but not too much. They all keep going up and that price isn't bad. Especially considering the current situation and stock.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

If you need it, jump on it. I wouldn't personally at that price but I don't need it.
Psalm 91:2

parabelum
Posts in topic: 2

Post by parabelum »

Yea, not that long ago I could get blue label Glocks for around $450. Not so much now :grumble

I’d say $650 is fair price now. Unfortunately.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I paid almost $600 out the door for a Gen4 G17 a few years ago, back when they were fairly easily available and not in the middle of a panic buying period. So $650 for a Gen5 G17 in the current market doesn’t seem that inflated to me.

Guys, let me play devil's advocate for a moment......

I don’t see the market recovering any time soon, if ever. We can’t even get Glocks for our shop right now. Our distributor simply don’t have any they can sell us. That’s not going to change any time soon. If the OP can get a new Gen5 G17 for "only" $650 right now, and he has a real need for the gun, I’d say jump on it and the price be hanged. He may not be able to get his hands on another one at that price for months....or maybe even years. And even if availability goes up and prices go down in 6-12 months from now, is the $50 worth agonizing over if the need is right now?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

flechero

Post by flechero »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:35 am I paid almost $600 out the door for a Gen4 G17 a few years ago, back when they were fairly easily available and not in the middle of a panic buying period. So $650 for a Gen5 G17 in the current market doesn’t seem that inflated to me.

Guys, let me play devil's advocate for a moment......

I don’t see the market recovering any time soon, if ever. We can’t even get Glocks for our shop right now. Our distributor simply don’t have any they can sell us. That’s not going to change any time soon. If the OP can get a new Gen5 G17 for "only" $650 right now, and he has a real need for the gun, I’d say jump on it and the price be hanged. He may not be able to get his hands on another one at that price for months....or maybe even years. And even if availability goes up and prices go down in 6-12 months from now, is the $50 worth agonizing over if the need is right now?
Nope, and honestly that's not much more than the cost of a 2 boxes of 9mm ammo right now- you'd eat that up in a single range visit in normal times. The reality is that if you have $650 and you want that gun- paying a little more for it now, when lots of people can't even find one, is no big deal.

Buy it, shoot it, and forget the price. :fire

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Hopefully, you've already gotten that by now. I paid around that for mine just a little earlier this year from an LGS, so I agree that's NOT a crazy price for that, especially considering how few are out there right now.

SpringerFan

Post by SpringerFan »

I'd say that's maybe $75 over where they were this time last year. Not too bad, all things considered. About the price of a nice dinner with your lady. So eat in tonight, and order the Glock. :rock"
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
Col. Jeff Cooper

dlh

Post by dlh »

Do we know who increased the price? The manufacturer? The middle-man distributor? The end vendor?
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

parabelum
Posts in topic: 2

Post by parabelum »

dlh wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:33 am Do we know who increased the price? The manufacturer? The middle-man distributor? The end vendor?
Market driven by the political and socioeconomic climate resulting in shortages.

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I was able to pick it up. My gun store told me They only had it in store for one day and I happened to call at the right time. I didn’t think 650 was too awful and like TAM said, there is no telling when it will get back to normal. It Could be a long time. I decided that even though it was a tad high, the money stayed in my
Local community and I think it’s always better to support your local families if you can before going elsewhere. I hem hawed around telling myself that there’s going to be more and the price will go down. That’s until I looked online and saw what people are selling them for. That’s actually cheap compared so some prices. I saw a guy selling a Glock 19x for 1100 and it was used. The sad thing is somebody will prob pay that much. But this raises another question.

Is any price too high when it comes to protecting your loved ones? I was always told to buy the best you can afford because if you ever have to use whatever it is, it did it’s job. I think people get hung up in the material things and while it’s nice to carry a BBQ 1911 for edc if you are scared to use it because if it’s beauty then it was worthless. If a 200$ Taurus saves your life it’s just as valuable as a 600$ Glock or a 1600$ 1911.

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

Glad you got it. I always say, if you can afford it buy it. If you can't afford it now save for it. If can't save for it, you don't need it. My wife buys LV purses and Jimmy Choo shoes. I don't have a limit on my hobby purchases. Thank God, for LV...

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”