Protests - the next level?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Protests - the next level?

Post by RoyGBiv »

philip964 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:48 pm https://apple.news/Aw8cmBTdvSeGpsrNIk7HyIg

WAPO.

Police getting cozy with extreme right wing counter protestors.

Aww. A problem when your on the wrong side WAPO.
Talk about generous journalism.
antifa” looters planned to ransack the town, referring to a loosely knit movement of far-left activists.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SQLGeek »

philip964 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:48 pm https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/08 ... s-angeles/

The post above this one is a joke.

This one is not.

Police shoot armed black man in LA.

Crowds gathering.
In a link further down on that page:

DCFS: 23 LA Children Died Of Suspected Abuse, Neglect In First 5 Months Of 2020

If only they could get as incensed about this as they could about criminals with guns getting shot by the police.
Psalm 91:2

philip964
Posts in topic: 155

Post by philip964 »

https://www.wifr.com/2020/09/01/gracela ... 5ddRlYbkbM

Graceland vandalized by BLM graffiti in Memphis.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Making the rounds on social media.

Jesus promotes vandalism.
Attachments
2364A7CE-F839-46D3-B356-3D7D78A915FD.jpeg

BigGuy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by BigGuy »

philip964 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:47 pm Making the rounds on social media.

Typical lib ignorance. Jesus wasn't destroying private property. He was removing illegal money laundering from the Temple. A difference I'm sure will never penetrate a liberal brain.

Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Odinvalknir »

BigGuy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:53 pm
philip964 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:47 pm Making the rounds on social media.

Typical lib ignorance. Jesus wasn't destroying private property. He was removing illegal money laundering from the Temple. A difference I'm sure will never penetrate a liberal brain.
Not much actual intelligent thought does

philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://apple.news/AzabGeCerR6ChiFaP9lZJtA

Portland murderer was inadvertently shot by a CHL when he attempted to disarm him.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... stody.html

Rochester, New York erupts in protests after video released of naked man being bagged for spitting on police. He later suffocated.

Apparently being polite to Police during any interaction has not been taught well by parents of this generation.

He was high on PCP.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/nati ... as-loving/

Remembered as loving.

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 8

Post by powerboatr »

i saw a video yesterday of a person driving what looked like a large RV and was stopped at a red light or stop sign ( the video was unclear). The car in front of the RV, got out of her car and opened trunk and then proceeded to bash out the drivers side windows of the RV. The driver videoed it, but took no action.
my concern, is the woman with the bat was a clear threat of safety and security of the RV driver. If he had simply drove forward and pushed her car out of the way, i am sure it would be a no brainier in regards to law enforcement. But also , the threat was real and the driver was in danger. would actions by him be justified, if he had put a few rounds into her to stop the threat to his safety or life. you know , a few through her arms or wrists to stop the threat?? This is the 2nd such video of similar incidents , where a large RV was stopped on a highway and hoodlums climbed up on top and were dancing and jumping on the roof, and prying open open baggage doors. the driver IMO should have simply floored the throttle and then apply brakes in a rapid fashion to remove such hoodlums from top of the RV, maybe some would have been run over or suffer injuries from falling 12 feet to the hard concrete.
I drive a large RV and both of these incidents, bother me and give me concern on how to counter the bad folks while protecting my family. portable speed bumps disguised as humans, blocking roadways, willfully choose to endanger their own lives and as such if get run over. I want to be protected as much as possible in the eyes of the law.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 9

Post by RoyGBiv »

powerboatr wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:19 pma few through her arms or wrists to stop the threat??
Aiming for hard to hit, fast moving body parts is not a good way to stop an active threat without subjecting yourself to further risk of serious bodily harm. Respectfully suggest some introspection on mindset.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

chamberc
Posts in topic: 5

Post by chamberc »

powerboatr wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:19 pm i saw a video yesterday of a person driving what looked like a large RV and was stopped at a red light or stop sign ( the video was unclear). The car in front of the RV, got out of her car and opened trunk and then proceeded to bash out the drivers side windows of the RV. The driver videoed it, but took no action.
my concern, is the woman with the bat was a clear threat of safety and security of the RV driver. If he had simply drove forward and pushed her car out of the way, i am sure it would be a no brainier in regards to law enforcement. But also , the threat was real and the driver was in danger. would actions by him be justified, if he had put a few rounds into her to stop the threat to his safety or life. you know , a few through her arms or wrists to stop the threat?? This is the 2nd such video of similar incidents , where a large RV was stopped on a highway and hoodlums climbed up on top and were dancing and jumping on the roof, and prying open open baggage doors. the driver IMO should have simply floored the throttle and then apply brakes in a rapid fashion to remove such hoodlums from top of the RV, maybe some would have been run over or suffer injuries from falling 12 feet to the hard concrete.
I drive a large RV and both of these incidents, bother me and give me concern on how to counter the bad folks while protecting my family. portable speed bumps disguised as humans, blocking roadways, willfully choose to endanger their own lives and as such if get run over. I want to be protected as much as possible in the eyes of the law.
A 6000+ lbs. vehicle is a better weapon than a rifle in those situations. Using it as a deadly weapon isn't different than using a handgun in the final analysis. You'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Another thing to remember, is, in large groups, if they don't scatter once shooting starts, you're going to lose as long as they keep coming. You will take some with you, but you're going down.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

kayt00
Posts in topic: 2

Post by kayt00 »

chamberc wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:59 pm
powerboatr wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:19 pm i saw a video yesterday of a person driving what looked like a large RV and was stopped at a red light or stop sign ( the video was unclear). The car in front of the RV, got out of her car and opened trunk and then proceeded to bash out the drivers side windows of the RV. The driver videoed it, but took no action.
A 6000+ lbs. vehicle is a better weapon than a rifle in those situations. Using it as a deadly weapon isn't different than using a handgun in the final analysis. You'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Another thing to remember, is, in large groups, if they don't scatter once shooting starts, you're going to lose as long as they keep coming. You will take some with you, but you're going down.
My old shop forman (and shop owner) always used to say that he would get more of them than they would get of him, and in that thought alone he slept better at night.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 52

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

chamberc wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:59 pm
I agree. It is a thought that has crossed my mind every time I see or read of one of these situations. The two best examples I have seen so far was the Austin incident where he drove off to get to safety after stopping the immediate threat and of course Kyle who also made his way to safety after stopping the immediate threat... or threats as his case was. One person can't possibly take out even 10-15 people mobbing them all at once. Stop immediate threat and escape to safety seems best move.

Rafe
Posts in topic: 22

Post by Rafe »

chamberc wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:59 pm A 6000+ lbs. vehicle is a better weapon than a rifle in those situations.
Used to drive my wife nuts until she got used to it; occasional horn honks from the car behind never helped. When driving on surface streets I always stay to the right unless there's a really wide and open median; but never in middle lanes. This means I brake a lot for right-turners and make it to my destination a couple of minutes slower than otherwise.

And depending on the height and hood configuration of the vehicle I'm driving, I have certain benchmarks to determine how far back I come to a stop from the car ahead of me. Let's just say it's always a healthy distance and, if there's any open country to the right or left, that I can accelerate into it without hitting the guy in front of me. This is what can cause the honking, and sometimes an enterprising jack*** who sees it as an open invitation to nose-in, stopping across both lanes, and waiting for the guy in front of me to inch forward. Not a perfect solution (and certainly not in a full-sized RV) but seems logical to me. My SUV can take a curb with no problem, and I've never seen a reason not to try leave myself some escape room when possible. As mentioned in another thread here, it's another reason I hate things like fast-food drive-throughs that have you so tightly hemmed in you can't even open a door.

Related: It's wild watching other people in their vehicles. It's gotta be like 99.9% have no situational awareness at all once they get behind the wheel...if they have any to start with. Stopped at any light at any busy intersection, you can count on one hand the number of drivers who don't have their faces buried in their phones...and half of those are talking hands-free or to another passenger. After coming to a full stop, most drivers creep forward, and then another inch, constantly getting a little closer to that car in front as if it will get them to their destination faster once the light turns. Very rarely as I look around when stopped like that, I'll catch someone else doing the same thing as me, checking out everything around me. Often we'll nod to each other. Probably one of you guys or an off-duty LEO. ;-)

Per the scenario, IIRC the very first case of use of deadly force under the then brand-new CHL law was a guy sitting in his car (maybe stopped in traffic on a freeway?) and he was assaulted through the driver's-side window by a large and physically powerful male. The CHL was acquitted. But very few what-if scenarios are clear-cut for me. You kick in my door at oh-dark-thirty (it's steel with a deep deadbolt; it's gonna take you a few tries), I'm not going to bother introducing myself and offering you a cup of coffee. I'll have some nice & shiny 75gr gifts for you that I got from Hornady. A woman starts taking a baseball bat to my vehicle? "Protestors" block my vehicle, climb up on it, and start jumping up and down? Dunno. I'd have to fire up the ol' OODA Loop and make what I thought the best decision at the time. I carry OC spray with me almost everywhere (and two Sudecon wipes!), and I'd think that if it were a solo crazy woman that broke through my driver's window she'd probably get a facefull of that while I figure out how to get out of there. If said crazy woman is accompanied by two big guys also with baseball bats, I have a very different problem.

Brings up a last point I've thought about but done nothing with. I have little video cameras fore and aft that will just keep recording until I turn them off, overwriting older "footage." I got nothing to the sides. If I'm stuck at a standstill you can approach me broadside while wearing a T-Rex costume and I'll never get it on camera.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Boxerrider
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Boxerrider »

Rafe wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:12 pm And depending on the height and hood configuration of the vehicle I'm driving, I have certain benchmarks to determine how far back I come to a stop from the car ahead of me.
For most vehicles - if you can see where the rear tires touch the road, then you have room to drive around it. Keeping space open on the sides can be difficult. If you have to push another vehicle - it will move easier if hit either forward of the front wheels, or rearward of the rear wheels, than it will if hit between them.

Return to “Off-Topic”