Multiple Attackers: Your guide to recognition, avoidance, and survival - Marc MacYoung

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Multiple Attackers: Your guide to recognition, avoidance, and survival - Marc MacYoung

Post by flechero »

Maybe my 11 yo will loan me his kindle! :lol:

Rafe
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Multiple Attackers: Your guide to recognition, avoidance, and survival - Marc MacYoung

Post by Rafe »

I may have to give it a look. Marc MacYoung has been around, like, forever. IIRC, he started out as a bouncer and his first book(s) were about practical unarmed self-defense; sort of training to forget any formal martial arts stuff somebody may have learned; what Kelly McCann would call "combatives."
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

flechero wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:19 am Maybe my 11 yo will loan me his kindle! :lol:
Amazon has a Kindle app for Android and PC. Probably others, but we are an Android/Wintel house. ;-)
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

flechero wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:19 am Maybe my 11 yo will loan me his kindle! :lol:
Ya know, I resisted the move away from paper books for a very long time; still prefer nonfiction textbook stuff on paper because complex charts and graphs just never work for me on the Kindle. But...if you are becoming of...er...a certain maturity, I'd definitely recommend considering a Kindle, especially the Paperwhite version. For reading text, it's my go-to now. You can adjust the size of the typeface on the fly just by "pinching" or "pulling" your thumb and index finger, and the backlight is adjustable. I read at least an hour a day, often two, usually just before bed, and with the Kindle I can have the room light off, hold it in one hand hand more easily than a small paperback (and change "pages" one-handed), and can read comfortably without reading glasses. I should put an exclamation point after that last part.

This is not a pitch for Kindles, but when my eyes got to the point that reading the bleepin' 8pt and 9pt text a lot of books are printed in demanded that I put on my reading glasses, I began reading less and less. That's changed, and the fact that the Kindle breaks the lines into shorter chunks has also improved my reading speed and comprehension: I don't stop and reread stuff to relocate if I lose my place after a long line of 8pt text.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

oljames3 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:50 am
Amazon has a Kindle app for Android and PC. Probably others, but we are an Android/Wintel house. ;-)
Oh, yeah; forget about that. The Kindle app is free, and if you have an actual Kindle you can synch up your reading and library on both...you can read on the PC a while, stop, then go pick up where you left off on the Kindle. I mentioned charts and graphs and such. I don't use the PC version often, but that's when I do. If I have an ebook that includes images I want to view in detail, I'll use the PC.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

<cough cough> Bringin' it back to Andy's topic... I just looked up the book on Amazon, and the electronic ink isn't even dry yet. This one is brand new, as in two weeks old. Four reviews so far, all 5-star. And it looks like this one may never be published in paper. One reviewer writes: "This is a departure from the typical book in that it is ebook only, not for ease of transport or cost savings, but due to an incredibly heavy video component. Chapters are so rich with video links that this is less a textbook and more an on-line course."

And that may be another reason to use the PC Kindle app to read it. Easier link-out to videos on the larger screen.

I just bought it. ;-) Thanks for the heads-up, Andy.

ELB

Post by ELB »

I just grabbed it too, I've read some of his other stuff. Thanks for the link.
USAF 1982-2005

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

oljames3 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:50 am
I use the kindle app on all of my apple devices.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:34 pm
I use the kindle app on all of my apple devices.
Me too.

Return to “Books & Videos”